With the 10th Pick in the 2008 Draft the Saints select (be realistic)... (1 Viewer)

saintsinNO

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
... Kenny Phillips

n5253902_33756183_19091.jpg

Phillips, Jenkins, Laurinitis, Conner, I don't care, but it needs to bee a defensive impact player.

I think we are going to go corner. Im going to go with Malcolm Jenkins.

Do we know forsure what pick we have yet?

It's the #10 pick. I posted the entire draft order in this thread http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57726

It's hard to say who should be the #10 pick at this point because we do not have the luxury of knowing who we will sign during the free agency period preceding the draft. I have five guys I like at the #10 spot. In order, they are as follow:

1. Glenn Dorsey--not likely to be there and would only be a trade up scenario if he was to fall in the area of picks $5 to #7.

2. Malcolm Jenkins--best cornerback in the draft, a true playmaker. Can lock down and defend an opposing team's best receiver. While there is no such thing as a true shutdown corner (Nnamdi Asomugha may be the exception since he does not get thrown at), Jenkins is in the mold of those top flight CBs capable of winning most battles against WRs.

3. Kenny Phillips--easily the best safety in this draft and another playmaker in the secondary. Not quite Ed Reed, not quite Sean Taylor as some figure but a solid blend of both. I do not believe he's on their level (yet) but I do think he is capable of making an immediate impact on whatever team lands him.

4. James Laurinaitis--intense LB who plays aggressively from snap-to-whistle. Has the sort of intensity and love for the game you see in a guy like Brian Urlacher. Tackles very well, fights through traffic and leads by example. A blue-chipper and a guy who you can build a defense around, no question.

5. Sedrick Ellis--may be a better inside pass rusher than Dorsey. He plays hard, has a non-stop motor and does well in pushing the pocket. The concern I have is that he's only about 285, 290. While that worked well for La'Roi Glover in terms of pass rushing, we saw how it hurt him in terms of stopping the run. It means that Ellis would require a big NT next to him, which we do have in both Hollis Thomas and Kendrick Clancy.

Two other guys that would make sense on defense at #10 (though it may be a slight, and I mean very slight, react are:

Keith Rivers, LB
Mike Jenkins, CB

At Number 10, I think the likes of Kenny Phillips, Dan Connor, Keith Rivers, Sedrick Ellis, and Malcolm Jenkins are still on the board. I'll take any one.

Wait you said be realistic. Then it'll be Desean Jackson or Rashard Mendenhall.

It's the #10 pick. I posted the entire draft order in this thread http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57726

It's hard to say who should be the #10 pick at this point because we do not have the luxury of knowing who we will sign during the free agency period preceding the draft. I have five guys I like at the #10 spot. In order, they are as follow:

1. Glenn Dorsey--not likely to be there and would only be a trade up scenario if he was to fall in the area of picks $5 to #7.

2. Malcolm Jenkins--best cornerback in the draft, a true playmaker. Can lock down and defend an opposing team's best receiver. While there is no such thing as a true shutdown corner (Nnamdi Asomugha may be the exception since he does not get thrown at), Jenkins is in the mold of those top flight CBs capable of winning most battles against WRs.

3. Kenny Phillips--easily the best safety in this draft and another playmaker in the secondary. Not quite Ed Reed, not quite Sean Taylor as some figure but a solid blend of both. I do not believe he's on their level (yet) but I do think he is capable of making an immediate impact on whatever team lands him.

4. James Laurinaitis--intense LB who plays aggressively from snap-to-whistle. Has the sort of intensity and love for the game you see in a guy like Brian Urlacher. Tackles very well, fights through traffic and leads by example. A blue-chipper and a guy who you can build a defense around, no question.

5. Sedrick Ellis--may be a better inside pass rusher than Dorsey. He plays hard, has a non-stop motor and does well in pushing the pocket. The concern I have is that he's only about 285, 290. While that worked well for La'Roi Glover in terms of pass rushing, we saw how it hurt him in terms of stopping the run. It means that Ellis would require a big NT next to him, which we do have in both Hollis Thomas and Kendrick Clancy.

Two other guys that would make sense on defense at #10 (though it may be a slight, and I mean very slight, react are:

Keith Rivers, LB
Mike Jenkins, CB

I agree with all of your thoughts. I will really be felt let down as a Saints fan if we do not draft defense, unless we get a dig name db in free agency, but i still think we need another top 10 d player in the draft too

defense, im not going to complain about any pick as long as its defense. Scratch that I dont want to see us take another end but other than that it needs to be d. In fact I think we need to go after free agency defense, and draft almost all defense. The offensive line needs help too but i think we have some backups who will play well once inserted. Our defense needs to be blown up and replaced, almost every position. Start with Gibbs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom