With the CB Hiring & Searches, Is FO Saying, "We are Set at Safety?" (1 Viewer)

Why wouldn't we stay with them? Jenkins is a great young saftey with still alot if potential to become better. Harper before last year was the best blitzing Saftey in the NFL! We are great at saftey unless for some reason we sign reed and that would be an upgrade and we could move MJ to SS and reed FS but prob with that is Harpers contract is too much cap hit to be a back up. Harper is more than capable at being a really good player last year was a fluke for all.. We shouldn't sign reed and use that money to bring in Heyward-Bey guys a burner Nd got great hands almost like Wallace just not as good but close! Make it happen Mickey

I've been a huge Jenkins fan since the minute they called his name at the draft. I don't think he has lived up to what was expected, but I think he's pretty good. We will see just how good he can be this year. It's his contract year.

I've been a huge Jenkins fan since the minute they called his name at the draft. I don't think he has lived up to what was expected, but I think he's pretty good. We will see just how good he can be this year. It's his contract year.

I agree completely! Green thumb

Saints usually let guys play out their original deals, which is why the Johnie Patrick cut was kinda shocking and must've meant he did something very bad like snitch (in addition to sucking donkey balls)....

Point is even though jenkins makes 4.2 mill this year he is safe on the last yr of his rookie deal for 2 reasons.
1)he's young and can still improve with right coaching
2) if he leaves after next year we might get compensatory pick...

either way i think we do the smart thing and look for a younger guy in the draft who is the long term answer and if jenkins disproves us then that's a good probelm to have next year....

Jenkins is alright, but man he was awful last year. Just dreadful.

Last year was a fluke there were so many distractions and coaches not knowing who will be available or suspended which week. Also spags trying to implement a new scheme that just doesn't work unless u have 3 probowlers on the DL! Jenkins saved so many big plays it was crazy. Harper should be blitzing or covering TEs or RBs coming out the back field. Not being told to drop back in coverage and cover teams best WRs in deep zone. Which is more Jenkins is good at. Their roles got reversed somehow by spags.

Saints usually let guys play out their original deals, which is why the Johnie Patrick cut was kinda shocking and must've meant he did something very bad like snitch (in addition to sucking donkey balls)....

Point is even though jenkins makes 4.2 mill this year he is safe on the last yr of his rookie deal for 2 reasons.
1)he's young and can still improve with right coaching
2) if he leaves after next year we might get compensatory pick...

either way i think we do the smart thing and look for a younger guy in the draft who is the long term answer and if jenkins disproves us then that's a good probelm to have next year....

I hope Jenkins does Awesome! He's young and has great potential! Now Harper I'm all for look for a replacement which we willowy likely move MJ to SS and find a FS unless we get a stud SS and then MJ would stay put

Set or stuck, however you choose to look at it.

Harper can not be cut even if we wanted to cut him. Jenkins probably gets another year regardless. Our backups showed enough promise to get another year last season.

So yeah. Set, stuck, whatever. We might draft someone though.

Harper can not be cut even if we wanted to cut him. Jenkins probably gets another year regardless. Our backups showed enough promise to get another year last season.

Harper can be cut but we only get 1.5 of so cap savings and if you think you can find a starting SS better than him on the market for 1.5 then good luck....

Otherwise we can overspend to replace and some teams do that, as in Philly with Nmandi who is hitting their cap by 4 mill and they are paying FA cbs money so the total outlay for CBs for them is huge....

Depends on how badly we want him out.

In the long run, I don't think we can win with him. Too many teams with 3-4 weapons who spread you out and Harper is whiffing or Pass Int all over the place. He's a total invalid in pass coverage at times.
But he's a good blitzed, team leader, and is pretty good in run support when he's not diving at ankles.

So we stick it out, grab a replacement to groom, and probably live wiht the fact that we aren't gonna win the SB this year either.....not with jenkins and harper back there...

FS Kerry Rhodes (30 yrs old, four interceptions, forcing two fumbles with 11 pass breakups the past season. Also a difference maker) and SS Quintin Mikell (32 yrs old, he racked up 101 tackles, three sacks, and four forced fumbles last season and was graded a top 5 safety) are both on the market. Both players played at a high level and they should come cheap at this point. Also they might want to play for a contender and pursue a ring. They may be older but theyre both better than Jenkins and Harper and would cost us less.

I'd rather see the Saints sigb these guys to a 1-2 year deal and let them mentor Quddus and Bush.

I'm a big fan of either of these guys, especially Rhodes.

I was sweating there for a minute guys! I didn't think we'd get another safety complaint thread up in time. But you guys stuck to your guns and pulled it off!

Congratulations everyone!

See you guys in about another 12 hours, when the next Safety thread pops up.

When Free agency started there were 6-7 upgrades available to harper and jenkins....

now only reed, rhodes remain.....

I think the safety position is one of our least worries on defense. More importantly, we need some more guys on the team whose names we can't spell. Things haven't been the same since Fajita and Meachum left...

Sign mykel and Rhodes each to 1-2 year deals on the cheap..... Release Jenkins and Harper.... Eat their dead money this year.... Next season draft FS one and the season after draft SS one.

Championship!

I love the business aspect of free agency

Exactly stuck. We didn't restructure Harper so this is probably his last year. He would have been the perfect candidate to restructure if we wanted him to finish out his contract. We need to keep Jenkins around so someone can give IAQ some competition.

I can see us drafting a SS in the mid-rounds because IAQ proved to be one hell of a FS in coverage. But because of our cap situation FA just isn't the situation to mess with our safeties.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom