With the CB Hiring & Searches, Is FO Saying, "We are Set at Safety?" (1 Viewer)

FS Kerry Rhodes (30 yrs old, four interceptions, forcing two fumbles with 11 pass breakups the past season. Also a difference maker) and SS Quintin Mikell (32 yrs old, he racked up 101 tackles, three sacks, and four forced fumbles last season and was graded a top 5 safety) are both on the market. Both players played at a high level and they should come cheap at this point. Also they might want to play for a contender and pursue a ring. They may be older but theyre both better than Jenkins and Harper and would cost us less.

I'd rather see the Saints sigb these guys to a 1-2 year deal and let them mentor Quddus and Bush.

FS Kerry Rhodes (30 yrs old, four interceptions, forcing two fumbles with 11 pass breakups the past season. Also a difference maker) and SS Quintin Mikell (32 yrs old, he racked up 101 tackles, three sacks, and four forced fumbles last season and was graded a top 5 safety) are both on the market. Both players played at a high level and they should come cheap at this point. Also they might want to play for a contender and pursue a ring. They may be older but theyre both better than Jenkins and Harper and would cost us less.

I'd rather see the Saints sign these guys to a 1-2 year deal and let them mentor Quddus and Bush while improving our secondary

I'd rather see the Saints sigb these guys to a 1-2 year deal and let them mentor Quddus and Bush.

Well I would like that but also bring Jenkins and Harper to camp to give them a shot to make the team, but I have never seen harp cover, and Jenkins is late getting over the top in coverage as a safety.

Yup, unfortunately we have to watch our safeties get abused one more year before they shake things up. CB is a weakness too, so I'm not against the signings. I know it's impossible to fill every hole on our team. Next year we'll hopefully have more options to upgrade the SS AND the FS. I just hope we get to see more Quddus and Bush out there this year. Every time they were in there last year I felt a little more confidence in our safeties.

Look guys we are fine at safety harper and jenkins had a down year cuz they were tryin to chase down blown coverages and missed assignments by the linebackers. Other folks take care of business we got two safetys that will rip your face off!

Look guys we are fine at safety harper and jenkins had a down year cuz they were tryin to chase down blown coverages and missed assignments by the linebackers. Other folks take care of business we got two safetys that will rip your face off!

What about 2011?

Why wouldn't we stay with them? Jenkins is a great young saftey with still alot if potential to become better. Harper before last year was the best blitzing Saftey in the NFL! We are great at saftey unless for some reason we sign reed and that would be an upgrade and we could move MJ to SS and reed FS but prob with that is Harpers contract is too much cap hit to be a back up. Harper is more than capable at being a really good player last year was a fluke for all.. We shouldn't sign reed and use that money to bring in Heyward-Bey guys a burner Nd got great hands almost like Wallace just not as good but close! Make it happen Mickey

I think our poor secondary play was due more to scheme and the front seven missing tackles and not putting pressure on the QB, than the safety sucking that much. Sure, the whole D had a terrible year. I think we will be alot better this season.

What ever your smoking I want some! Jenkins is arguably the best player on this defense and gets better every year and has amazing potential at Safety he saved so many long plays its crazy because P rob and greer couldnt tackle or cover a WR for 8 seconds since we had ZERO pass rush. Harper before last season was THE BEST BLITZING SAFETY IN THE NFL so absolutely no way those other two Guys are better. You can't want to get rid of a good player because of last years stats. Spags never used players to their strengths and kept trying to fit a square peg in a round hole horrible scheme for our players. Watch how much better we are gonna be under Rob Ryan! Just sit back and relax. Mickey is a genius and will do what's best for the team and I'm sorry to break it to you replacing both much less one of our safeties is a horrible idea! They will suprise you this year like they have in the past! RR is amazing at making the best out of what he has at his disposal and getting the best out of players. No way in any situation would we replace both safeties though. Not possible! Especially Jenkins dude is a stud and will prove it just wait and watch!

THANK YOU! Finally someone who has their head on straight! Our safeties are really good just had a horrible year because of bad scheming and usage of players being asked to do things that they are not the greatest at! Like Harper is much better at blitzing and covering TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield. Jenkins is strong at deep coverage where he can react to QBs and make plays on the ball. Last year Spags must have found it funny to swap their roles up and had them doing opposite which isn't their strengths! RR specializes in using a player to his strength and getting the most production out of them!

I think the FO is saying our CBs position is weaker than the safety position. Better corner play in needed to match up against Atlanta and an improving Tampa Bay receiving corps, especially the 3 WR sets. Looks like Ryan's scheme values CBs more that Safeties. I fully expect Harper to be released if Asomugha is signed.

Coach Payton when interviewed identified:
1. Must Have
2. Needs
3. Wants

Bill Parcells said the exact same thing when he played armchair GM w/ Bill Polian on another show. Go figure that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

My analysis:
1. CB was a must have
2. Rush OLB appears to be a need as well as TE (as these are the players the FO are now shopping for but it seems to have less urgency)
3. Wants will likely be addressed during the draft or post draft

At this point the safety upgrade falls under wants and there are higher priorities. However it doesn't mean if won't be addressed before week 1 (i.e. training camp competition).

I think we're gonna draft someone to this year. This year is fat with future starters at the position. I think our S of the future, will addressed this year. At least I hope so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom