with the hornets success, and the saints popularity? (1 Viewer)

biggest star in new orleans?

• reggie bush

Votes: 99 17.2%
  • drew brees

Votes: 195 33.9%
  • marques colston

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • chris paul

Votes: 271 47.0%
  • david west

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • tyson chandler

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
No, I think you have an ignorant view of reality if you think that someone who does not like basketball should root for any team for any reason. I don't care if the Hornets were giving away free passes to heaven. They're basketball and basketball stinks. Many of us don't like it and don't care.

Sure, its nice that the NO team is good and certainly all NO people are happy for their success. Whoever reggiepaul is, good for him and good luck. But don't ever think a Saints fan or New Orleanian is somehow misguided or wrong for not caring about the Hornets.

We don't care about the Lakers or Yankees either.

No, that really is a bad attitude to have. The Yankees and Lakers aren't relevant at all because they don't play in New Orleans. We should support the good things our city has/does.

It's your right to not like basketball and not go to Hornets games, but your attitude about their accomplishments (and what it does for our city) isn't very good.

Street Fighter 2.......................... U Win....................... PERFECT!!!!!!

Yeah...whatever man...

Sorry, granted much of my argument is after reading this entire thread... and I sort of picked you only because I saw that you quoted me to refute some of my points...

Like you, I am thrilled that we have an NBA team... I'm old enough to have gone to old New Orleans Jazz games, and while Rick Flair's "Wooo!" doesn't quite give me the thrill of Hot Rod Hundley's call of "Piiissstoooolll Pete!" it's getting there...

Indeed, your repsonse supports many of my contentions regarding the original question of this thread... who is the biggest star. Reggie Bush came in with all the excitement of a highly rated prospect who was supposed to be a "once in a generation" type player in a football town that has a huge devotion to their team.

Regardless, I think we agree on more than we disagree... which I think is the case for most of the people who have posted in this thread.

But when people turn their support for Paul into a "he's doing what Bush can't do..." or "Bush is overrated" type of argument, that's what I mean by the whole "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" theme...

I also think we agree more than we disagree, which is why I was confused by your previous post. I never said anything like "Paul is doing what Bush can't", etc. I love Reggie and think he'll be great. I also never said that Paul was the bigger star in New Orleans (although right now I think he should be).

The only thing I was trying to do was shed some more light on how amazing Chris Paul is. I am happy for ALL of the stars we have on ALL of our sports teams. I love everyone from Bush and Paul, to Fujita and Tyson Chandler.

Go Hornets and go Saints!

Who is Chris Paul? The last time basketball was cool in NO, Pete Maravich was it.

Biggest sports star in NO is currently Drew Brees.

Otherwise, its

Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie
Emeril
Drew Brees
Reggie
Archie

I thought about that before I voted Byron Scott, but since the two seasons are mostly played aprt on the calendar I strayed away from the Gospel. I formerly thought there would be too little of a fan base to support both. I was wrong!

No, I think you have an ignorant view of reality if you think that someone who does not like basketball should root for any team for any reason. I don't care if the Hornets were giving away free passes to heaven. They're basketball and basketball stinks. Many of us don't like it and don't care.

Sure, its nice that the NO team is good and certainly all NO people are happy for their success. Whoever reggiepaul is, good for him and good luck. But don't ever think a Saints fan or New Orleanian is somehow misguided or wrong for not caring about the Hornets.

We don't care about the Lakers or Yankees either.

Just curious......even if you don't use a computer and have no ambitions of doing so and Microsoft made their Headquarters in New Orleans, would you root for them to do well.....considering their giving so many people jobs and making our city that much better?

If you say no to this then you're a troll, if you say yes you would root for them, then you can't comprehend because there is no difference. Not sure which one of these you'd rather be, but I'm glad I'm neither.:1zhelp:

nd, the Yankees and Lakers have nothing to do with the rebirth of our city, so :idunno:

Being hurt so much last year hurt him. To many this seems like his first real year. He had a good rookie year, but it wasn't mind blowing. This is his first season to really tear it up over the course of an entire season.

Are you serious? Hardly any rookie coming into the NBA have god like statistical rookie seasons especially point guards. Rookies ALWAYS have bad field goal percentages even if they do score in double figures that year. And even without the "mind blowing" rookie season by your standards, Paul still unanimously won the rookie of the year award and received a ESPN ESPY for "Best breakthrough male athlete". Winning these awards basically shows you and that '79 Saints guy that everyone "outside" of New Orleans knew who Chris Paul was while the team was in Oklahoma City before they moved back to New Orleans. I can't believe you can actually sit up here and undermine Paul earning these achievements as nothing to be noteworthy about.

Are you serious? Hardly any rookie coming into the NBA have god like statistical rookie seasons especially point guards. Rookies ALWAYS have bad field goal percentages even if they do score in double figures that year. And even without the "mind blowing" rookie season by your standards, Paul still unanimously won the rookie of the year award and received a ESPN ESPY for "Best breakthrough male athlete". Winning these awards basically shows you and that '79 Saints guy that everyone "outside" of New Orleans knew who Chris Paul was while the team was in Oklahoma City before they moved back to New Orleans. I can't believe you can actually sit up here and undermine Paul earning these achievements as nothing to be noteworthy about.

Its become clear the only position you'd accept is if I bowed down before Chris Paul and said hes the best PG to ever play the game, which makes this discussion pointless. At no point did I say his accomplishments weren't great or notworthy as a rookie.

Again, where are the jersey sales? Where did Chris Paul end up in the All Star balloting in 2008? Why did the Hornets average fewer than 9,000 people (unless LeBron James or Kobe Bryant was coming to town) per game until Feburary? What is your methodology to determine Paul's popularity outside of New Orleans?

I'm not against Chris Paul nor am I belittling his accomplishments... the problem Paul had his rookie year was the lack of sufficent talent around him... During his second year, he had an injured foot, Peja's back ended his season in november, and David West had elbow injuries.

THEREFORE, Paul didn't build that wave of popularity because the Hornets weren't a good team last year. This year, they have everyone healthy, and the Hornets are playing at the level they are capable of... and New Orleans is reaping the benefits.

Next year, I don't have any doubt Paul will start to see his jersey sales rivaling Kobe, Shaq, et al.

Given that New Orleans hasn't had a professional basketball team since the late 1970s and given that the Hornets spent two years away just as they were trying to establish a prrsence in New Orleans and given that so-called "experts" have said that New Orleans cannot support two professional sports franchises, what Chris Paul and Byron Scott have accomplished is remarkable.

But with that said, basketball season is why Chris Paul is "winning" this poll... ask it in January of 2007 (particularly after the Eagles playoff game) and Reggie runs away with it.

Again, where are the jersey sales? Where did Chris Paul end up in the All Star balloting in 2008? Why did the Hornets average fewer than 9,000 people (unless LeBron James or Kobe Bryant was coming to town) per game until February? What is your methodology to determine Paul's popularity outside of New Orleans?

Paul winning the rookie of the year award and the fans voting him as the ESPY "breakthrough male athlete of the year" IMO is enough to determine his popularity outside of New Orleans regardless of his jersey sales. Currently his popularity is not rivaling LeBron or Kobe, but the fans know who he is. It might have not show in his jersey sales, but they know who he is.

As for the attendance issue, you'd have to go around the New Orleans metropolitan area and ask every single individual why they wasn't supporting the Hornets at the beginning of the season. I know for sure Chris Paul wasn't the reason people were not showing up earlier in the season. But I'm guessing maybe the city being a football first type of city, the Hornets owner and the whole Oklahoma City fiasco played a role in swaying people away from supporting the team. But if it takes Chis Paul playing like an MVP candidate and the team winning as a reason for people to start showing up, that's good enough reasoning for me.

Chis Paul not starting in the All-Star game was one of the biggest snubs in the history of the all-star game and the blame falls on the shoulders of the fans for putting Allen Iverson in the starting lineup. But one thing for sure is even though LeBron won the MVP, Chris Paul is the one that really stole the show when he single handily prevented the West team from getting blown out and single handily almost winning that game for the West. All of that being displayed in front of a national audience.

Certain people, particulary on this board, seem to feel threatened if someone shows attention to the Hornets. There is room for two professional teams in this city and people need to wake up and realize how fortunate we are to have two exciting franchises. It is not "Saints versus Hornets" or "Saints or Hornets," it is "Saints AND Hornets"!

Certain people, particulary on this board, seem to feel threatened if someone shows attention to the Hornets. There is room for two professional teams in this city and people need to wake up and realize how fortunate we are to have two exciting franchises. It is not "Saints versus Hornets" or "Saints or Hornets," it is "Saints AND Hornets"!

Thank YOU!!! Some of you all need to stop being so simple and narrow minded.

We have two great teams...Like I said, some of you "hornets haters" seem kinda jealous...

But with that said, basketball season is why Chris Paul is "winning" this poll... ask it in January of 2007 (particularly after the Eagles playoff game) and Reggie runs away with it.
Yes, it would be very convenient to ask this question after a Saints playoff victory and the Hornets still in OKC. :idunno:

How about asking this when Reggie was struggling with his injury and this board was up in arms about Coach Payton refusing to play Pierre Thomas because he had to appease Reggie Bush?

If you want to play the cyclical card, which I have no doubt is in play... why would you think Reggie Bush would run away with this instead of... oh I don't know... the guy in 2nd place right now? You know, the guy on the Saints that has actually consistently produced and played above expectations; the guy most comparable to Chris Paul on the Saints.

Yes, it would be very convenient to ask this question after a Saints playoff victory and the Hornets still in OKC. :idunno:

How about asking this when Reggie was struggling with his injury and this board was up in arms about Coach Payton refusing to play Pierre Thomas because he had to appease Reggie Bush?

So when he wouldn't play PT even after Reggie was inactive the last four games of the season was he then trying to appease Stecker? Reggie had nothing to do with why PT didn't play. Blocking assignments are the much more likely explanation.

So when he wouldn't play PT even after Reggie was inactive the last four games of the season was he then trying to appease Stecker? Reggie had nothing to do with why PT didn't play. Blocking assignments are the much more likely explanation.
Don't ask me, ask the board mob mentality that ran rampant during the time.

If you want to play the cyclical card, which I have no doubt is in play... why would you think Reggie Bush would run away with this instead of... oh I don't know... the guy in 2nd place right now? You know, the guy on the Saints that has actually consistently produced and played above expectations; the guy most comparable to Chris Paul on the Saints.

The point was that Bush was getting a lotta love around here back then, and not subjected to the criticism he has been receiving now. Chirs Paul is getting a lot of love because of the extremely high level he has been playing right now (although not so well tonight against the Jazz).

This poll is a snapshot of people's feelings right now... most of us have been around to see how fickle the board can be regarding players.

As Bobby Layne once quipped, "You can go from the penthouse to the outhouse pretty damn quick..."

I do not hate the Hornets at all. Yay, they are doing good. That is good for the city and that is a good thing. But I still can't stand basketball so don't question my dedication to rebuilding the city simply because I find a sport intolerably boring.

And no, if you gave me free tickets I would not go. I would be sure to give them to people who enjoy basketball, but it just isn't my cup of tea. I will go spend my money in the city on something that I actually ENJOY.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom