With the rumor of Harper being included in a deal (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
For TE Jeremy Shockey who are some SS prospects we could look at in the draft "IF" the trade happened.

I glanced at a couple this morning the one that stood out was Josh Barrett from Arizone State. The dude is 6-2 223lbs and ran 4.34 at the combine I believe. The site I saw this at has him projected as a 3rd rounder. Do you guys have any other prospects in mind? Also I believe I saw it mentioned on here where Bullocks could potently play SS. Was that just someone speculating like how Grant can be an every down DT, Mckenzie can move to FS, or Henderson should move to corner because he has problems catching....... or is it a legit possibility.

There are four categories that a player can fall in at each position, and here is the breakdown.

The categories are:

Shot Caller — The best in class.

Fast Faller — The player who's falling down the draft board.

Prospective Baller — The sleeper of the class, a player who has something to prove or has the chance to emerge as a quality starter.

Crystal Baller — The player, three years from now, who becomes the most productive in each class.

SAFETIES

Shot Caller: Kenny Phillips, Miami
This year's safety class is one of the weakest in recent memory, and there isn't an elite prospect available, but Miami's Kenny Phillips will be the lone first rounder. He's a great athlete with good size and speed, but isn't a finished product. He comes from a program that's produced some great safeties, and he has a chance to continue that tradition.

Fast Faller: Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee
You can't deny Hefney's athleticism, but he's a tweener who's too small to play safety and not quick enough to play corner. He's a valuable special teams player and that will add some value, but without a definitive position, Hefney will likely be a mid-round selection.

Prospective Baller: Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State
A physical safety who possesses great tackling ability, Johnson is an enticing prospect with tremendous upside. He's a bit of a tweener and can play free safety and strong safety and offers great versatility in the secondary. He's a great athlete and ran a 4.45 in the 40 at the Scouting Combine and registered a 39-inch vertical and a 10-foot, 4-inch broad jump. Johnson is a promising player who will receive attention on Day One.

Crystal Baller: Josh Barrett, Arizona State
After a junior campaign where he registered 82 tackles and three interceptions, Barrett failed to get on the field consistently this past season due to multiple injuries. But, Barrett showed up at the Scouting Combine healthy and ready to show scouts he fully recovered. He ran a 4.35 in the 40 and performed well in positional drills. Barrett's physical attributes and play compare favorably to the late, great Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Pre-Draft defensive awards

That's my point about this Shockey for Harper trade.

Who would replace Harper? Bullocks? KK? Reis? A 3rd round unproven in Zippy or Barrett? Even Phillips is an unproven at this point and he's projected in the 1st right? Doesn't mean any of these guys can't beat Harper out of the position, but I have yet to believe that any of the suggestions offered could.

[EDIT] Nevimeister has provided info on many good looking kids, but until they are in the pros, we will never know.

I think Harper is a centerpiece player....he is smart and instintive and played well enough that the Giants see the potential in this kid.....I just dont think Shockey is a big enough need to lose a young player like Harper for....

With a much improved front 7 (on paper), I'd like to see how our current starting DBs do before I go pulling the trigger.

We're making moves, so let's see how they pan out before over steering and hitting the ditch.

[EDIT] Nevimeister has provided info on many good looking kids, but until they are in the pros, we will never know.

Heck, and even when they are in the pros they will continue to be called "unproven" until they make the pro bowl twice, even if they always perform at a high level when given a chance.

The Saints already turned down a deal including Harper. I doubt they're going to be convinced to give him up in any deal.

If the Saints get Shockey, I think it'll either be for #40 alone, or our third + a 4th or 5th in '09.

I'm pretty sure the team realizes that the secondary needs to add playmakers, not subtract them. Even if Payton loves playmakers on offense.

The staff called out Harper last year and have done nothing but praise Bullocks. It seems backwards to me.

Don't forget about the pro talent still out there. Though there are no great players left there are still stop-gap options like Omar Stoutmire, Mike Doss, and Kenoy Kennedy out there. Plus we still have post-draft cuts and training camp cuts. Safety is a dime a dozen position IMO and while I'd hate to lose Roman I certainly don't think it would be the end of the world.

IMO, I just don't think its gonna happen (Although I would like Shockey on the team) They have been going back and forth this long (according to previous posts) and neither can agree, yet its still being discussed everywhere. It is obvious we dont want to give away our 1st or 2nd w/ Harper so what else is left?

Last edited:
We aren''t trading defense for offense so don't worry about losing harper.

I'm guessing this is how it went down. We asked about Shockey, they said a 2nd and Harper, we laughed and talks ended.

I think this deal is gonna happen. Like other users have said on here, to much smoke to not have a flame. If i was GM, which of course Im not...I'd do a little something like this on draft day.

Trade 10 for 19 and Sheppard.
Eagles get Clady

Trade 19 and Harper for Shockley an 31. (If they take, which I think they will because nobody else is gonna pony up there starting SS in his 3rd year for the guy who was getting drunk in the club box at the superbowl)

At 31 - You can grab a guy like mayo, or a DT like Laws before the 2nd round rush is on for him. I don't think Trevor Laws will make it to 40.

That would have us finishing the first round with a starting CB, TE, and DT. Not a bad first round by any means.

With pick 40 and most of your needs met, you have still have a hole at SS. At this point you can trade back in the 2nd, grab an extra pick in the 4th and grab Barret late in the 2nd.

2 rds = 2 probowlers TE an CB, starting DT, and a new saftey with incrediable measureables. Use the 3rd to secure a WR or if a OL slips, 4th can pick up another DT or CB like Molden if hes still there.

That would be an excellent draft, in my opinion.

Trade 19 and Harper for Shockley an 31. (If they take, which I think they will because nobody else is gonna pony up there starting SS in his 3rd year)

LOL, yeah including us! nuff said. Harper is not being traded.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom