NFL Draft With their first pick in the 2021 draft, the Saints select.... (1 Viewer)

Editor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sticky Post
....Najee Harris, running back, Alabama.

Another multi-threat addition to an offense that will need to adjust to a new starter at QB. In addition to commanding the attention of opposing defenses on his own, stopping the Saints’ offense becomes even more problematic when he pairs with Kamara.

The Saints offense will likely favor the run until Jamie’s can prove otherwise. If he (Winston) ends up meeting all our hopes as a passer, having Harris is still a major bonus not just as a receiver, but as another weapon to be accounted for.

And yes, in a pinch he can also play safety. 😜

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hate to say it but you're right.

Ireland hates skill positions early.

You could go a step further and add McCoy as their first pick in 2019 and have 4 straight linemen.
I'm not sure if he hates skill positions early or if he just believes that you build teams from the inside out. Our best skill positions were also drafted in rounds 2 (Thomas) and 3 (Kamara, TQS, Trautman). I'm not sure he'll break from the trend now, but this draft like almost every draft there are some nice skill position players that will be available at 28.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm in we can find a special back after the 1st crowd. Reggie lived up to the hype, Ingram not so much. PT & AK two of the best picks we ever made and neither were in the 1st.
And PT wasn't even picked.

Would a backfield of Kamara/Harris be a 2021+ version of Reggie/Deuce? That would be a difficult backfield to stop considering Kamara and Harris can be interchangeable, but also have their own strengths.

gtaz21

Groundskeeper
Reaction score
This feels like a BPA year especially our spot in the first round. I'm thinking we take another OL.

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The opposite actually. We don’t target big play homerun hitters in the 1st. I’ve been hyping up Najee forever now, but some team will have to be smart enough to draft him before we do. Crazy how this guy is not getting any shine due to QB needy teams.
Brandin Cooks

If SP could somehow morph into a running game guru then AK & Harris would be a great tandem. But a leopard can't change it's spots.
Deuce and Reggie was his first combo backfield. It was pretty good and he was happy with it.

SP values the RB position as he traded back into the 1st to get Ingram.

Last edited:

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm going with Leatherwood or Wyatt Davis.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mac Jones unLESS we pull a monkey from somewhere below the belt and sign Russell Wilson. If we do we may still be able to work out something to get Harris early in the second.

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score
You like him over Tryon and Basham?
I personally like Tryon more, but Azeez’s ultra athletic traits make him the better value at 28. Azeez may not have the size of a typical EDGE, but he def has the arm length, bend, speed to power, relentlessness & explosive first step of an elite pass rush prospect. He also has untapped traits to develop as an off the ball LB, a la Von Miller. My heart is w/Tryon, but my logical mind favors Ojulari’s insane upside & versatility. I like Basham & Rousseau, too, but i like Azeez a lot more for the same reasons.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Deuce and Reggie was his first combo backfield. It was pretty good and he was happy with it.

SP values the RB position as he traded back into the 1st to get Ingram.
Oh absolutely. He values the position big time. It should be obvious by now that Sean Payton values a versatile backfield made up of RBs with different strengths. He has a vision for each back and he knows how to take advantage of their skill set.

So yeah, SP is always going to have a few good RBs. But Sean Payton is never going to be the kind of coach that features the run game even though he can. That's what is so frustrating at times is that we've seen SP humiliate teams running the football. But that's just not his thing.

To his credit he has become more balanced in his play calling. The Saints have finished in the top 5 in rushing attempts two out of the past three seasons. I think he'll be forced to remain balanced with the next QB. I love the idea of drafting Najee Harris. If SP thinks he'll get his money's worth out of him then by all means, draft the beast. An AK/Harris backfield could give SP the most explosive, versatile duo he's ever had.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
We have to consider Ram and Armstead have two very expensive contracts to be renewed.

If they realize they can’t afford both, and I hope it’s not the case, then an offensive tackle would be a very smart choice.

Tackle is a position you don't mess around at.

If they Took Spencer Brown who could fault them?

Definitely not me.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Unless there is an offensive player that falls that the Saints think is BPA, I really want the Saints to draft BPA on the defensive side of the ball with the earlier picks....

Treybad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
tough call we dont trade up we might just be picking the BPA regardless of needs could be a run on OL QB and WR before we pick so guessing something defensive LB or Safety think the 1st round DL and CB be gone before us

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom