Without Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis record is 32-44 right now (1 Viewer)

Yes but Loomis is the one who brought Payton in and was involved in bringing Brees on board. So you can't take that away from his stats.

Mueller got axed after the 01’ season. Benson claimed it was due Mueller not consulting him on the Ricky Williams trade but it’s been speculated that he was fired for non-football reasons.

So technically Loomis became full GM in 02’ with an inherited coach.

He hired Payton. That earns him a pass on Allen in my book. But what he does going forward is going to determine his worth in this rebuild.
Supposedly Mueller was fired for paying off a cheerleader Haslett had been messing around with. Supposedly.

You have to be kidding me man. Get a grip! There was no real genius in Loomis signing Sean or Brees. The Saints were not either of their first choices. Loomis was looking at McCarthy first and then Sean, after McCarthy took the GB job. Loomis signed Sean by default. We signed what was left over. We only got Brees, because Miami took one look Drew's medical file and low balled the hell out of him. Then signed Culpepper. That's how Sean/Drew ended up with the Saints. That's just the truth.

Every fan that has been around since the paper bag days knows that The Sean/Loomis sucked, why do you think they brought in Ireland in the first place? Sean called the shoots here, not Loomis. Loomis is a Cap guy.......that's it. Sean is a better GM than Loomis.

While you're at it, Brees was 2nd choice as well. Payton wanted Romo.

This is such a bs revision history take. Just b/c someone wasn't the 1st option, doesn't mean they weren't the best or the right option.

Last edited:
Is Loomis responsible for Identifying the talent, or Do Sean and Ireland get credit for that?
Yes, Sean and Ireland get the credit for that. How do you not already know this?

If Sean and Ireland are responsible for identifying the talent , How is it Loomis fault?
I only fault Loomis for the post Sean decisions. And I didn't fault Loomis for drafting. Loomis is GM, Sean works for him anyway. I am saying Loomis is GMINO (General Manger in name only)
Do You personally know Loomis? If not how do you know he was the one pushing for Watson? Was it DA and Ireland? Now that Sean is gone aren't they the ones who get credit for identifying the talent?
That might have been the case, if he didn't do all the media rounds and brag about being "all in" and we are in "win now mode" when asked about the aggressive Watson trade talk. It was his baby, and he let everyone know it. It was one of the only things he took all the credit for other than cap related matters, in the whole time he was here.
ou sir are so far out on a limb there is no hope for you . You think you know but you don't even know what you think. @Madmarsha queue up the Mora video

I think it is you sir, who is in the weeds on this one. These are pretty common notions for a long time now. Loomis was a cap guy when he started. When he was hired, as GM, people were taken aback, because he -0- player personnel talent. What team have you been watching?

This is such a bs revision history take. Just b/c someone wasn't the 1st option, doesn't mean they weren't the best or the right option.
No it's not. We wanted McCarthy, and he chose GB. That isn't a selection. That is a default. It is only the right choice in hindsight. Loomis found a million dollar lottery ticket w/ Sean/Drew.

No it's not. We wanted McCarthy, and he chose GB. That isn't a selection. That is a default. It is only the right choice in hindsight. Loomis found a million dollar lottery ticket w/ Sean/Drew.

You guys love your hindsight.

Looks like ML made the right decision for both CSP and Brees. Sometimes you have to give someone credit for their decisions even if they didn't get their first choices. But, the cool thing to do is to look back and diminish the decisions made 17 years ago.

You do realize that Cleveland is getting Watson back next week and surely will beat the Texans to go 5-7...

Then, they got a really mediocre Bengals team and a up and down Raven's team.

Then, we could potentially face them at 7-7 with Watson....

That's the most Dennis Allen thing that could ever happen.
I don't think Watson is going to be any good....If you ask me he's going to be a headcase like Tiger Woods was when he came back. His head isn't going to be right for a while. But I can also be wrong...we shall see.

Uh. Chris Olave? And we’re about to see what Trevor Penning has. Loomis has to be favored in regards to finding people that can find and develop young talent.

That counts for a great deal because that’s exactly how the team returns to winning long term.
I love Olave, but he better be Jerry Rice, you gave up 5 picks for him. He has been a lone bright spot on the team this year but even then, it cost you a whole lot.

Yep you heard right. It was just brought on the WWL radio Saints post game show. Mickey Loomis record without Sean Payton is 32 - 44 . Plenty of blame to go around. Loomis does not look good at all when you remove Sean Payton.
As I’ve mentioned before, Loomis was known as a bean counter before he lucked into hiring Payton, not a football man.

Looks like ML made the right decision for both CSP and Brees.
Or he was incredibly lucky!! You telling me it was Loomis's GM acumen, that got us Sean?

I have explained it to you in great length how CSP and Brees was an act of luck. We got what was left over. You give loomis to much credit for McCarthy taking the GB job and sending Sean to us, and Culpepper being signed by Miami. sent Brees to us. loomis at the time was like all of us, in doubting whether Brees could come back from that surgery. He rolled the dice.

No, what I am saying is Loomis road the coat tails of Sean/Ireland, and is an empty suit when is comes to being a real GM. Post Sean he has been a real -0- in the GM department. Show me something good Loomis did without Sean's name on it. He has only made two head coaching hires..............EVER !!!!! One hire was wildly successful, and the other has been an abject failure.

What yard stick are you using? It's the W/L, that owners use when they fire the GMs. You have either won to few or lost to many.
Seems like an empty stat to justify the persecution of someone with misleading statistics.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Pelicans fortunes started to turn when they hired David Griffin and relieved Loomis of his Pels responsibilities. Loomis has made many questionable moves and his absurd handling of the salary cap, kicking the can down the road year after year, has really hurt our depth and our ability in the draft.

Or he was incredibly lucky!! You telling me it was Loomis's GM acumen, that got us Sean?

I have explained it to you in great length how CSP and Brees was an act of luck. We got what was left over. You give loomis to much credit for McCarthy taking the GB job and sending Sean to us, and Culpepper being signed by Miami. sent Brees to us. loomis at the time was like all of us, in doubting whether Brees could come back from that surgery. He rolled the dice.

No, what I am saying is Loomis road the coat tails of Sean/Ireland, and is an empty suit when is comes to being a real GM. Post Sean he has been a real -0- in the GM department. Show me something good Loomis did without Sean's name on it. He has only made two head coaching hires..............EVER !!!!! One hire was wildly successful, and the other has been an abject failure.
I think everyone found each other at the perfect time of their careers. Loomis, Payton, and Brees.
Loomis was coming off his first coach, an okayish run with Hasslett. Payton and Brees were lucky that they were paired in their first season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom