Witnesses say man shouted "get out of my country" before killing one man and injuring two at Kansas bar (1 Viewer)

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OLATHE, Kan. (AP) &#8212; A man accused of opening fire in a crowded suburban Kansas City bar, killing one man and injuring two others in an attack that some witnesses said was racially motivated, was charged Thursday with murder and attempted murder.

Authorities repeatedly declined at a news conference to say whether the shooting was a hate crime although local police said they were working with the FBI to investigate the case.

A bartender at Austins Bar and Grill in Olathe, Kansas, said that Adam Purinton used "racial slurs" before he started shooting on Wednesday night as patrons were watching the University of Kansas-TCU basketball game on television.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Witnesses say man shouted &quot;get out of my country&quot; before killing one man and injuring two at Kansas bar. <a href="https://t.co/u8Tl7zhloq">https://t.co/u8Tl7zhloq</a></p>&mdash; The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP/status/834893148853788673">February 23, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:scratch:

Yes, you better believe this is Political debate worthy. The tone in our country is being set and crazy people like this man are taking it to heart. Yes, 2 of the victims are of middle eastern descent, the third, white.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear people start questioning the background of the victims and asking if they deserved it or were asking for it.

Then when they come up with nothing this will be a disturbed loner that doesn't represent anything about Trump politics. The victims, however, didn't speak out enough and they're just as bad as the terrorists they must support.

BTW, just going by names, they sound more Desi than Middle Eastern, but they could be 7th generation Americans.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear people start questioning the background of the victims and asking if they deserved it or were asking for it.

Then when they come up with nothing this will be a disturbed loner that doesn't represent anything about Trump politics. The victims, however, didn't speak out enough and they're just as bad as the terrorists they must support.

BTW, just going by names, they sound more Desi than Middle Eastern, but they could be 7th generation Americans.
You'll see none of this except from your most extremist sites. Until I see more this is just an outlier much like Dylann Roof. A crazy racist that killed people.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Glad it doesn't come with all the trimmings, but that's basically the "crazed loner" defense reserved for whites shooting brown people. I'm not saying you're meaning to endorse the baggage that classification comes with, but reasonably innocent people default to that if the skin color combination is right, but in Orlando or elsewhere default to something else entirely. As a whole it is a deeply racist agenda supporting distinction, even if more mainstream white people toss it out without intending that support.

lades

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And of course guns had nothing to do with the shootings.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you can ignore the jump in racist, islamophobic and anti-Semitic incidents since Trump rose in the political scene.

This is a horrible case and extreme, but the smaller cases of assault and vandalism all fit together to form a pattern. It's no accident, and just calling this man crazy allows the pattern to possibly go unrecognized.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Glad it doesn't come with all the trimmings, but that's basically the "crazed loner" defense reserved for whites shooting brown people. I'm not saying you're meaning to endorse the baggage that classification comes with, but reasonably innocent people default to that if the skin color combination is right, but in Orlando or elsewhere default to something else entirely. As a whole it is a deeply racist agenda supporting distinction, even if more mainstream white people toss it out without intending that support.

And according to these folks if you're mentally disturbed it's your own fault anyway.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you can ignore the jump in racist, islamophobic and anti-Semitic incidents since Trump rose in the political scene.

This is a horrible case and extreme, but the smaller cases of assault and vandalism all fit together to form a pattern. It's no accident, and just calling this man crazy allows the pattern to possibly go unrecognized.
You can call him crazy and still recognize the pattern. One doesn't make the other less true. He's crazy, and part of the pattern. Certainly isn't unique.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i guess we're still a 1/2 day away from Trump making a mention of this while reminding us how huge his election victory was
Well, with CNN and other news media getting booted from the daily WH briefings, you won't see it addressed at all. Figures.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You can call him crazy and still recognize the pattern. One doesn't make the other less true. He's crazy, and part of the pattern. Certainly isn't unique.
It dilutes the pattern, though.

Brown guy goes off the rails and kills people, it's Islam. White guy does the same and he's simply crazy. It builds the pattern of negativity toward Islam while insulating the white guy's motivations...he's "just a crazy guy".

If every time a white guy goes on a rampage we called it "Christian terrorism" (because statistically, you'll be right 85% of the time) you'd have Christianity up there among people's biggest fears. Right next to Islam.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom