Women's World Cup '19 (1 Viewer)

Spain played a dirty gane and the Refs let them get away with it, They still couldn't beat the U.S.!

I had a real issue with this ref as i suspect the USSF will post game. She allowed consistent fouls by Spain to go uncalled. The plowing into Morgan from behind with no call was comical. And as you see, when no call is made, it just makes your opponent ramp up that style of play.
Several times Spain was late to a challenge, takes out the US player and no call made. Very frustrating to watch.

Great gutty performance by the USWNT in light of the no calls. Have to get better going fwd and i suspect we will. But they should expect same type of play going fwd.

Pretty disappointing game by USA. LaVelle, Mewis and Dunn played great but Rapinoe and Morgan really struggled. The passing today wasnt crisp, front line was slow getting in position to cross. Back line played really sloppy with lazy passes early on.

Rose is the best player on the team at the moment and if she didnt have such an amazing left foot would love to see her switch with Ertz because he distribution and ball handling are very good. Plus she can hammer it from either foot.

Morgan needs to quit playing official and stop diving at every contact. She is going to get pushed around the rest of the tourney until she makes someone pay.

Rapinoe needs to quit pressing so much and cross more. Love her energy and relentlessness.

Officiating- It was bad but I'm not sure who got the advantage. Yellow cards should have come out early but US shouldnt have gotten a penalty kick. The tackle on Rapinoe at the end probably should have been a red card since the ball was nowhere near and it was clear intent to go after Rapinoe.

Coaching- really questioning all the line up changes and holding Morgan out so much the last couple games. Morgan looks rusty and a step slow. If she is injured sit her, if not, play your 11 for at least the first half to build continuity. Also wouldnt hurt to sub in a bit earlier as the reserves are more than capable and fresh legs were needed.

Overall, Spain showed the US team can be frustrated by sound technical passing on offense and playing physical on defense. Also by mixing up tactics not letting US team settle in.

Nobody is going to outmatch this team with talent but Spain overmatched them with tactics, physicality and hustle.

With all that said, we could have easily been looking at a 3-0 game in the first 20 minutes. Missed opportunities early and a really bad touch opened the window for Spain and frustrated the US.

Also, US was in the worst position in sports. Everything to lose, a big opponent coming up and playing as heavy favorites against a team with absolutely nothing to lose.

Pretty disappointing game by USA. LaVelle, Mewis and Dunn played great but Rapinoe and Morgan really struggled. The passing today wasnt crisp, front line was slow getting in position to cross. Back line played really sloppy with lazy passes early on.

Rose is the best player on the team at the moment and if she didnt have such an amazing left foot would love to see her switch with Ertz because he distribution and ball handling are very good. Plus she can hammer it from either foot.

Morgan needs to quit playing official and stop diving at every contact. She is going to get pushed around the rest of the tourney until she makes someone pay.

Rapinoe needs to quit pressing so much and cross more. Love her energy and relentlessness.

Officiating- It was bad but I'm not sure who got the advantage. Yellow cards should have come out early but US shouldnt have gotten a penalty kick. The tackle on Rapinoe at the end probably should have been a red card since the ball was nowhere near and it was clear intent to go after Rapinoe.

Coaching- really questioning all the line up changes and holding Morgan out so much the last couple games. Morgan looks rusty and a step slow. If she is injured sit her, if not, play your 11 for at least the first half to build continuity. Also wouldnt hurt to sub in a bit earlier as the reserves are more than capable and fresh legs were needed.

Overall, Spain showed the US team can be frustrated by sound technical passing on offense and playing physical on defense. Also by mixing up tactics not letting US team settle in.

Nobody is going to outmatch this team with talent but Spain overmatched them with tactics, physicality and hustle.

With all that said, we could have easily been looking at a 3-0 game in the first 20 minutes. Missed opportunities early and a really bad touch opened the window for Spain and frustrated the US.

Also, US was in the worst position in sports. Everything to lose, a big opponent coming up and playing as heavy favorites against a team with absolutely nothing to lose.

gotta disagree here. Its the role of the ref to get control of this. To keep from "making the player pay back" the offender. She allowed this continually.
Second, its not a dive when you get clattered into from behind by a defender. Those werent dives. those were body checks that while you expect it, you dont have the footing or leverage to brace for it. Especially when one foot is up securing a pass.

Agreed on both Rapinoe and Morgan as i stated at half, both looked lethargic for most of this match. Rapinoe seemed to get a 2nd wind later, but that wont work against better competition. Rest and recovery will be key.

Morgan seems to be a bit slower. Been a few times she was a step off from scoring.

I'm convinced she is not healthy, she is at least a step slow...I thought they should have brought in Lloyd to start the 2nd half....

There were a lot of fouls not called....both ways...the ref was really in danger of losing control of the game.

gotta disagree here. Its the role of the ref to get control of this. To keep from "making the player pay back" the offender. She allowed this continually.
Second, its not a dive when you get clattered into from behind by a defender. Those werent dives. those were body checks that while you expect it, you dont have the footing or leverage to brace for it. Especially when one foot is up securing a pass.

Agreed on both Rapinoe and Morgan as i stated at half, both looked lethargic for most of this match. Rapinoe seemed to get a 2nd wind later, but that wont work against better competition. Rest and recovery will be key.

Agree here, i find it ironic after letting so many obvious fouls go uncalled she calls a foul, in the box, no less, on Spain when that gets called almost never....Rose fell so late, I thought they were going to give her a yellow for diving....sorry, I didn't think that was a foul...at all....

I've seen this happen many times in youth soccer, you have a lazy, likely hung over ref (not saying she was...but wouldn't shock me) that doesn't call some rather violent fouls and someone gets hurt.

I don't think she should be allowed to ref another WC game....

I'm convinced she is not healthy, she is at least a step slow...I thought they should have brought in Lloyd to start the 2nd half....

There were a lot of fouls not called....both ways...the ref was really in danger of losing control of the game.

Agree here, i find it ironic after letting so many obvious fouls go uncalled she calls a foul, in the box, no less, on Spain when that gets called almost never....Rose fell so late, I thought they were going to give her a yellow for diving....sorry, I didn't think that was a foul...at all....

I've seen this happen many times in youth soccer, you have a lazy, likely hung over ref (not saying she was...but wouldn't shock me) that doesn't call some rather violent fouls and someone gets hurt.

I don't think she should be allowed to ref another WC game....

its ok some dont think so. But watch the replay and you will see the Spanish defenders foot bend back just as she indeed makes contact with Lavelles calf.

Its exactly what i alluded to at half...her stride is unlike most. Its why defenders seem to be snatching at air when they attempt a tackle on her.

And its why i said im watching her at start of game. She can break down a defense in an instant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom