Women's World Cup '19 (1 Viewer)

gotta disagree here. Its the role of the ref to get control of this. To keep from "making the player pay back" the offender. She allowed this continually.
Second, its not a dive when you get clattered into from behind by a defender. Those werent dives. those were body checks that while you expect it, you dont have the footing or leverage to brace for it. Especially when one foot is up securing a pass.

Agreed on both Rapinoe and Morgan as i stated at half, both looked lethargic for most of this match. Rapinoe seemed to get a 2nd wind later, but that wont work against better competition. Rest and recovery will be key.
I didnt mean make them pay back with fouls, meant make them play by working through the contact to make a play. I'm also not saying that every play was a dive but several undoubtedly were.

As for body checks, they happen in every sport but soccer is the only one that causes 20 players a game to hit the deck and roll around grabbing the lower leg.

I didnt mean make them pay back with fouls, meant make them play by working through the contact to make a play. I'm also not saying that every play was a dive but several undoubtedly were.

As for body checks, they happen in every sport but soccer is the only one that causes 20 players a game to hit the deck and roll around grabbing the lower leg.

You don't work thru contact you saw today. You can't control the ball in order to do something to begin with. And if you are standing still, and take a knee in hamstring or hip in lower back from a player whose momentum coming forward and only thing to stop is you, your getting knocked off the ball. Losing possession at minimum. So until the ref starts calling fouls, only then can you make them pay because they won't clatter into you (or even touch you) at that point.

I saw maybe one soft dive out of 6 or 7. Yet there was contact. Regardless, NONE were called.
And if 20 defenders body check, from behind, a player standing still, there should be 20 free kicks from that spot. They aren't walking up and putting a hand on thier back... They are running up and hitting the player with hip/thigh/knee or kick.

That is the whole point. You give the offensive player the protection from injury by making the calls. Their focus is on the ball arriving to control/distribute. Not worrying about am I gonna get a knee in my lower back.

Secondly, referee maintains control of the type of fouls. Persistent fouls of same type are always called. For some reason, this ref didn't. And she lost the ability to "referee" that part of the game after the 4th or 5th one.

You don't work thru contact you saw today. You can't control the ball in order to do something to begin with. And if you are standing still, and take a knee in hamstring or hip in lower back from a player whose momentum coming forward and only thing to stop is you, your getting knocked off the ball. Losing possession at minimum. So until the ref starts calling fouls, only then can you make them pay because they won't clatter into you (or even touch you) at that point.

I saw maybe one soft dive out of 6 or 7. Yet there was contact. Regardless, NONE were called.
And if 20 defenders body check, from behind, a player standing still, there should be 20 free kicks from that spot. They aren't walking up and putting a hand on thier back... They are running up and hitting the player with hip/thigh/knee or kick.

That is the whole point. You give the offensive player the protection from injury by making the calls. Their focus is on the ball arriving to control/distribute. Not worrying about am I gonna get a knee in my lower back.

Secondly, referee maintains control of the type of fouls. Persistent fouls of same type are always called. For some reason, this ref didn't. And she lost the ability to "referee" that part of the game after the 4th or 5th one.
Again, not arguing that the refs were horrible all game and that numerous fouls should have been called. There were several very soft contacts that sent her flying though.

I like Morgan, she is super skilled but she hasn't looked good the last two games even taking the physical play into consideration. She's experienced and I have faith she will turn it around but do think her sitting 3 of the previous 4 halves didn't help.

This is exactly how I saw the game....

As for Morgan, there is no way she is healthy right now, she barely touched the ball and is obviously a step slow....I think they should think about bringing in Lloyd much earlier in the game (as I've said before)....

This is exactly how I saw the game....

As for Morgan, there is no way she is healthy right now, she barely touched the ball and is obviously a step slow....I think they should think about bringing in Lloyd much earlier in the game (as I've said before)....

while i would defer to her veteran leadership and feed/hold/distribute play, i would love to see Val Pugh get in the game.

not a big kickball fan, but watching the women.... worth it.
I forgot to post about this very subject post game.
The women's game has progressed so much in just 20 years. Their technique, technical skill level, stamina and strategy have become really fun to watch. It's legit. And these women are really good.
I dunno, I could be wrong but I'm kinda thinking that their technical skill level isn't all that zeetes had in mind when he said "worth it".

while i would defer to her veteran leadership and feed/hold/distribute play, i would love to see Val Pugh get in the game.

I would be fine with that...believe it or not I think Press is stronger, more athletic and has just as good or better skill as Rapinoe and while there is no chance she would start ahead of Rapinoe unless there is an injury I think you could make a case for getting her in the game much earlier...but US coaching staffs lean heavily on veteran players it seems (sometimes for good reason, sometimes maybe not)....

If Netherlands beat Japan, and I reckon they will, Its Europe (and England) vs a lone US team in the round of 8

Man, this match is entertaining, Japan is bringing it and the Netherlands' goalie just had a flurry of nice saves...

I guess not, sucks for Japan to go out like this...

This was the most exciting probably the best match I’ve seen so far...nolapse I agree hate to see any team go out like that...it was a rather questionable call I thought

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom