Wonder if we would look at WR in draft? (1 Viewer)

Are we just going to forego Free Agency completely? I think a lot of those positions can be filled via FA with Tony Gonzalez, Daniel Graham, Nate Clements and a variety of other FAs avaliable. I think our first order of business is a LB. If we get Willis in the draft, Shanle stays @ LOLB. If we get PP from Penn state, Shanle moves back to MLB. Either way, I think we can take care of the linebacker corps with one solid pick. I wouldn't be adverse to using a 3rd round pick on a WR if one was avaliable. You're telling me if say Robert Meachem of Tennessee was avaliable to us in the 3rd or 2nd round, you wouldn't be tempted?

I don't think we won't be active at all at free agency. We already are going to pay a huge bonus to Drew Brees, try to lock Charles Grant to a long term contract (won't be cheap), sign Hollis Thomas also to a long term deal (main reason why he was traded by Philly) and if not mistaken, Jon Stinchcomb will be a free agent too.

Do the math, just locking our players will cost Benson over 20 million dollars in signing bonuses. No way we still would have money for other free agents. At least, not a lot of them.

If the Saints do take a WR on draft first day, I really like Notre Dame's Jeff Samardzija. He's 6.5 and he's so fluid and such a classy runner after the catch. I don't follow college football all that closely, and maybe some of you who do can tell where he might go. First round? Second? I don't know.

Ugh. Forget I spoke. I just looked up NFL Draft Countdown and they have Jeff Samardzija going at No.10 in Round 1. I guess other people like him, too.

...We already are going to pay a huge bonus to Drew Brees, try to lock Charles Grant to a long term contract (won't be cheap), sign Hollis Thomas also to a long term deal (main reason why he was traded by Philly) and if not mistaken, Jon Stinchcomb will be a free agent too.

Plus, we still have Mickey Loomis as the GM... I would expect the Saints to continue to do what they've done in the past w/ Loomis at the controls... We'll keep Brees, re-sign Hollis to a 2-3 year deal, probably end up jerking Grant around a little bit before signing him in the 11th hour, and extend Stinch with a fair deal for his caliber of play.

Then, in F.A. we'll most likely stick to the strategy of grabbing a few middle-tier guys to plug in until our draft picks are ready to take over.
Donnie Edwards at MLB
Daniel Graham at TE
Joe Average at CB
I can't imagine any big ticket FAs will be signed up.

Were going to have to draft one in the mid rounds.

Devery is done as far as I can tell. He barely played yesterday and when he did finally get in he dropped a crucial pass that killed one of our comeback drives.

The guy has been hurt for 3 or 4 weeks. Let him get back into game shape before we crucify him...again. He is a burner who can stretch the field better than anyone on the team except maybe Reggie, but we never ask him to go deep.

Ugh. Forget I spoke. I just looked up NFL Draft Countdown and they have Jeff Samardzija going at No.10 in Round 1. I guess other people like him, too.

Well with Samardzija there are concerns that he's not going be committed to football, because he got drafted in the 4th round by the Cubs last year and was pitching in minor league team over the summer. I don't see anyone drafting him in the first round.. I know I wouldn't. For a WR in the NFl, what separates the greats from the average players is the ability to catch the ball. Sanardijiza hasn't shown me he can make those tough catches yet. He has good YAC ability, but thats not enough to justify a first round pick.

As for CB, we should definitely look for a CB in the first if there is a good one availalble. You don't get anything past the 3rd round except nickel/dime types, maybe an occassionaly #2. If you look at all the star CBs in the league, they were all high draft picks.

Champ Bailey #7 overall
Nate Clements #21 overall
DeAngelo Hall #8 overall
Ty Law #23 overall
Deltha O'Neal #15 overall

I say we go after a Defensive Back in the first round if we can't get anything from FA or Trades. But if we do go for a WR we have to get CALVIN JOHNSON. He has the potential to be the best WR in a while. He is 6'5" 235 and get this he runs a 4.3 second 40. On College Gameday they said that no one that large at WR has been able to be that fast. Screw Samardzija, he has NOTHING on Calvin.

Man, I hope not.....we need a stud MLB, outstanding cover CB, or a young, run stuffing DT, in that order.

We are fine with Devery and Colston (and Horn for one more year) at WR...at least for 2007.

I say we go after a Defensive Back in the first round if we can't get anything from FA or Trades. But if we do go for a WR we have to get CALVIN JOHNSON. He has the potential to be the best WR in a while. He is 6'5" 235 and get this he runs a 4.3 second 40. On College Gameday they said that no one that large at WR has been able to be that fast. Screw Samardzija, he has NOTHING on Calvin.

I suspect we have already won too many games to have a shot at Calvin Johnson. But history shows that 1st round WRs are only a 50-50 shot to live up to their pre-draft potential. It seems like the Saints have the right approach - use mid-to-late round choices every years and see who develops.

I suspect we have already won too many games to have a shot at Calvin Johnson. But history shows that 1st round WRs are only a 50-50 shot to live up to their pre-draft potential. It seems like the Saints have the right approach - use mid-to-late round choices every years and see who develops.

I can see where you are coming from on this, but Calvin is not in any way an ordinary first round receiver.

Regardless, we need Defensive Backs and Linebackers more than anything.

First Round-LB
Second Round-CB
Third Round-WR
Third Round-TE
Fourth Round-OL
Fifth Round-DT
Sixth Round-DE
Seventh Round-CB

But if Calvin Johnson is there when the Saints pick on draft day you can't pass that guy up. You got to take him. COLSTON and JOHNSON would be scary. HORN will be here but Devery got to go after this year. He disappointed
against the Ravens. The ball hit him right in stride and he could not hall it in. You got to catch those kinds of balls. Could have gotten inside the 10 with that play from BREES.

Joe could be around a few more years, but his skills have to start declining.......he is human after all. We need to start grooming his replacement. Maybe we'll go FA.

I'd love to have Calvin Johnson but theres noway in you know where for us to get him. Hes a top 5 pick and we could lose out and still not have a top 5 pick.

We have to get a top flight CB in the 1st round. Thats my view. Maybe a LB if thats whats on the board as the best player.

Mike D said last night we should look at Dwayne Bowe in the 1st. [or Willis]

I think he would be a tremendous fit for this offense. Our 'need' players could come from FA and 2nd rd on....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom