Wonder if we would look at WR in draft? (2 Viewers)

I don't mind picking up a WR in free agency as long as it's a relatively young WR (7 years in the league or less). Our offense is very young and I'd like to see us keep the core unit together for years so we have a good, competitive team long term.

I really want to lock Charles Grant to a long term contract by the end of the season. If not, we may be looking defensive end again with our first round pick next year.[/QUOTE]

Even if we don't sign him, Nickovich will be back next year and looks studly.
A WR is a day one need, but I do think CB and TE are bigger concerns.

It all would depend on the development of Chase Lyman. I know he is on the practice squad. But if the guy starts proving himself in practice, I would not be surprised to see him in the current roster by december..

I like that... I've said all along, since even before we drafted him, that if Lyman can get past the injuries he will be a very good WR. I think it was the injury risk that put him on the PS this season, but you're right, if he prove he's ready, they'll give him a shot.

As far as WR in next year's draft... I wouldn't even consider it until the 2nd day. We need 2 CBs, 2 LBs, DT, and TE before WR... And Brian Leonard if he's there with a 4th. ;)

Only if Calvin Johnson drops to us at #32.... That is hard to say with a straight face.

I like that... I've said all along, since even before we drafted him, that if Lyman can get past the injuries he will be a very good WR. I think it was the injury risk that put him on the PS this season, but you're right, if he prove he's ready, they'll give him a shot.

As far as WR in next year's draft... I wouldn't even consider it until the 2nd day. We need 2 CBs, 2 LBs, DT, and TE before WR... And Brian Leonard if he's there with a 4th. ;)

Are we just going to forego Free Agency completely? I think a lot of those positions can be filled via FA with Tony Gonzalez, Daniel Graham, Nate Clements and a variety of other FAs avaliable. I think our first order of business is a LB. If we get Willis in the draft, Shanle stays @ LOLB. If we get PP from Penn state, Shanle moves back to MLB. Either way, I think we can take care of the linebacker corps with one solid pick. I wouldn't be adverse to using a 3rd round pick on a WR if one was avaliable. You're telling me if say Robert Meachem of Tennessee was avaliable to us in the 3rd or 2nd round, you wouldn't be tempted?

I think wide receiver is something that will be addressed in the offseason, but I like the school of thought that you fill your needs in free agency and draft best player available regardless of position.

I think if anything, this game against the Ravens showed us just how weak our Offensive line is. They are better at pass blocking than run blocking and really are only passable as far as O-Lines go. They are definately a very weak link. Secondly, the other thing that was exposed in this game was our Defensive line. Will Smith and Charles Grant are really nothing special, and our best D-Lineman is Hollis Thomas. Both of these units need upgrading immediately if not sooner. Next was Fred Thomas, this guy even though a fan favorite needs to go, he just can't cut it anymore. He's not fast enough and consistantly gives too much cushion and gets beat EVERY time not some of the time. Our LB's, while not spectacular are at least good. Not very good and certainly not great. So, going into this offseason we still have as many holes to fill as we did last offseason. At least we have some stop gaps in place to get us through next season in better shape than this season. In the draft I see us going either CB or OL or DL with the first round pick. And the second round we take which ever of those positions that we didn't address in round 1, in round 2. If we do indeed get a 3rd round pick for Stallworth then I can see us taking a CB with the #1, a LB with the #2, then an OL and DL with the two #3's then maybe a WR with the #4 it's hard to tell right now but I do know I wouldn't give up a lot of money to keep Grant. Neither he nor Smith are dominant ends in this league.

Don't draft a CB early because they are like QBs: 50/50 shot. Just sign one because at least then you know something about him.

help the o line please, i kno they dont allow sacks, but thats cuz brees gets rid of the ball, help the line, then help our secondary they suck, and replace simmounue,.......in a perfect world we get nate clements via fa, that would take care of our shut down corner, i hope we spend money in the off season like last year......

I too think we need to concentrate on defense. Look at the Bears, Broncos and Ravens. How many key players do we need to get to that level??? That would be scary!

I too think we need to concentrate on defense. Look at the Bears, Broncos and Ravens. How many key players do we need to get to that level??? That would be scary!

3 new LB's, a new DT, and at least 1 new CB, and a new nickel back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom