Workers Walk Off the Job in Protest of Minimum Wage (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Fast food, retail workers protest for higher wages outside Union Station | abc7chicago.com

I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as OWS or O [insert phrase here]. You accepted the job at the wage offered. You knew that in order to make more than minimum wage you were going to have to do more. Add to your education, seek a job that has a higher starting entry wage. To protest something that you knowingly accepted is the face of ridiculousness.

Last edited:
While I agree that someone who accepts a minimum-wage job should not expect to support his/her family on that income, I also feel employers should give their workers a bi-annual or annual raise to help meet the ever growing cost of living. If they're not good enough to earn a small incremental increase, then they're probably not worth employing at all.

But then again, these people are basically saying that minimum wage should be $15/hour, showing us why they're making minimum wage in the first place.

Becoming harder and harder to live on minimum wage, have you seen the expenses to go to college these days? ridiculous to the point of criminal. Getting funding to go is almost an impossibility especially if you're male, you have little to no help to go to college unless you qualify for minority funding or some tops program/scholarship.

We live in times where at a flip of a coin gas can jump to almost 4+$ a gallon, economy still sucks. There is a lot of debate on whether or not college is even feasible these days due to the inflation it costs to attend and combining that with the terrible economy. People cannot take the risk of getting themselves thousands into debt when they're not even promised to find work in the said fields.

10-15 years ago, I would say you're right in your general assessment, however times have changed and changed quickly they have.

Four members of the Walton family are 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th richest people in this country. Yet they still can't pay the people that generate their wealth a living wage. The the taxpayer is covering the costs of the additinonal assistance their employees need from the government.

I don't have a problem with workers organizing to seek a higher standard of living. Even if they are "the great unwashed." There's plenty of educated people who can't find work. These people are taking what they can get and seeking something better. Minimum wage isn't what it used to be and the only way that it'll change is if the people demand it. Asking won't work.

Sorry but increasing minimum wage makes everyone who works hourly just get a decrease in pay.

So you are saying it's not ridiculous?

In my rush to finish typing the post I worded that wrong. Thanks for catching it. I'll go back and edit.

Please don't get me wrong - I am not saying that the minimum wage is not high enough. Bleu Daughter II works two minimum wage jobs while going to school. She has roommates and has to watch all of her pennies, nickels and dimes. She typically works more than 40 hours per week because folks paying MW aren't giving enough hours to make the job full-time. I carry her on my health plan. I occasionally help out with other stuff. She lives within her means.

What I do see as ridiculous is walking out on a job where you had some income to protest that the income is not high enough.

Last edited:
Some jobs are worth minimum wage. I'm not talking about people; I'm talking about the job.

If they gave them a raise..... Then it wouldn't be MINIMUM WAGE.

People whine about a law to set an arbitrary minimum wage and then when its given... They're not satisfied. Fact is... In a free wage market some jobs would pay even below the arbitrary minimum set by our government

In my rush to finish typing the post I worded that wrong. Thanks for catching it. I'll go back and edit.

He just came on here to be a grammar nazi obviously. As IF he couldn't understand what was said? Saying it makes no sense is a lazy way of not even acknowledging what was said. I hate to see what happens when his kids make a simple mistake. Geez.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom