Working from home (Covid 19 edition) (1 Viewer)

I've worked from home for 14 years. AMA. ;)

TV tray facing the corner on my couch
I have ‘office hours at 8
Students hardly ever come to that (they’re probably not even up yet)
Then I video a Loom of the assignment - administration wants us to have live classes as much as possible, but that doesn’t seem to work for most students (and/or technology)
Then class in afternoon which has de/evolved into office hours v2 answering questions, et al
Then I write/post next day’s assignment
I can generally get my grading done during those 2 times which lets me spend time with the 6 yr old so his brother and mother can Zoom their classes

it absolutely sucks

21 years - same office, same desk, same set up - i could close my eyes and find anything.
Fujitsu scanner that scanned at the speed of light, HP printer that could print 50 pages a min and dual screen monitor

now? its like i was kicked back to 1990. Laptop, lasrerprinter ( least not a dot matrix lol ) that prints 1 page per min and goes thru ink like a sieve and scanning???? ONE PAGE AT A TIME.

Gonna go full Office Space on this 3 n 1 when this is all over.

otherwise, all good! (y)

Wife spends most of day poolside. Kids go swim when school out. so its pretty quiet during most of the work day. Plus i get on late in eve too just to do few items

If i coud simply bring my office set up home, no issue. But since i HAD to build in2019 and have the "latest in wifi" - i dont have a dedicated cable line. And my office tower is not wifi compatible.

Z7bGmRQ-isxVVTmgO64siphNELLFtFe6n_76HOgtvNXC03yypTqlpxg4FcZT8nAiQ2Yr8gMXZNYaOx2JYIrFALSxEtssnosu1Nc-sdJ7_wGpyMpTE-tmTlJW3BzqOFzq-MZhbZadykdPNv8uk6RrT14IH58gSc5m14g2bQc9HnlCaD5hTA5VIPo7EpKxuf-R21TPdhvBZ3nSpu8c8Dd7md_ssc7DElvvS7bhghR622oWZkPD2KSG_CAn5tNCsBklCcGpC8C0VMjC93CxHyO9OPyQgiBhuEalk1KjGtvNbgUBKnIDVR7X0gOwHD4WmVce9IlcVKSwYL3uEIOdglWNzvO8c_5sG50mLnDUzl-GjICELw0IYRSRVXfrDYLEdrQuZr0CcjFhecIVkij6LKUxSwU3H9N-811_r_pWu1SfgQeFNAGNXvHI6sLxTUL50BlnJCF32koglvz_eHdVNF8elsoJ1A3wZtM8jO6UWEIm3PvZ6kr5zhuUFElJnhkWZaQeuj_OUZhntHOEQxa4rjCou5s1rlEO6604XxEo0i3yclusZ9woo5Cmvp5ZlpMXWgoXzacOH2rlFUO1bRzxoAlYIlfzNUMM7lX_Ix_74HVVSPeRudt0h5zr_IO-b1rI9_r88arKin4bsEhcOz_QfAgrN972w0PDM0JElwgWEUAvjghgsdfpSu0C37ubI6wuxg=w417-h555-no

Mine. The formal dining table is finally getting used.

I hate it thus far. It is a weird dynamic.

So typically when I am in the office, I am extremely busy, going 120 mph at all times, outside of the occasional quick one minute break to check SR or Twitter maybe once every few hours. When I am not at my desk, I am in meetings and such, or busy on a project, or training my staff on something, etc., and everyone in the building understands that, including my bosses, and I generally start work early, before-hours, and end work late, after-hours.

But now, when working from home, no one sees how extremely busy you are, how early you started, how late you ended, and if you don't answer your phone immediately or respond to an email immediately, it is automatically assumed that you're lounging around watching TV. It's like your availability-level has decreased because of the increased phone meetings and general increase in time devoted to communicating with your staff, but some people don't understand the impact of all of that.

I am literally in my home office all day, haven't turned on the TV once, maybe got out of my chair once all day long to make a sandwich, and have worked non-stop the entire day, but you're expected more so now more than ever to be immediately available for any and everything. Frustrating.

:::end rant:::

I hate it thus far. It is a weird dynamic.

So typically when I am in the office, I am extremely busy, going 120 mph at all times, outside of the occasional quick one minute break to check SR or Twitter maybe once every few hours. When I am not at my desk, I am in meetings and such, and everyone understands that, including my bosses, and I generally start work early, before-hours, and end work late, after-hours.

But now, when working from home, no one sees how extremely busy you are, how early you started, how late you ended, and if you don't answer your phone immediately or respond to an email immediately, it is automatically assumed that you're lounging around watching TV.

I am literally in my home office all day, haven't turned on the TV once, and have worked non-stop the entire day. Frustrating.

:::end rant:::
You’re doing it wrong

Explain the set up, please
And then you can explain why there isn’t a coaster under your coke can

Good catch on the coaster, don't tell my wife.

Right side of the table, PC/monitor at the bottom is my company laptop; PC/monitor at the top is for accessing our customer's network so I can continue to support them. After VPN, I RDP to their lab network.

Left side of the table, switch is connected to the LAN side of the Residential Gateway in our house, and then the 2 block boxes at the bottom are plugged into the switch so I have 2 "lab" RG's at the house for testing. The 2 laptops are for testing and plugged into the 2 black boxes at the bottom.

The pic is missing 2 Raspberry Pi's that have since been added.

Right side of the table, PC/monitor at the bottom is my company laptop; PC/monitor at the top is for accessing our customer's network so I can continue to support them. After VPN, I RDP to their lab network.

Left side of the table, switch is connected to the LAN side of the Residential Gateway in our house, and then the 2 block boxes at the bottom are plugged into the switch so I have 2 "lab" RG's at the house for testing. The 2 laptops are for testing and plugged into the 2 black boxes at the bottom.

sheesh i need a nap after reading that

lol

But no one is actually working. The table is just supporting electronics. A log or a rock could do that. And yeah, where is the coaster and where is the hand sanitizer?
;)

This is my home inside my home. I have a 16" MacBook Pro with a 34" external display. I've also go a iPadPro that I use for my teleconferencing. There is a 2nd MacBook Pro and a Surface Pro I've got put away for now.

49698465591_7ee430dd4c_b.jpg

Nice Rickboy. Looks like one of those tabletops that raise and lower. I had those when I was at Cisco. I found myself standing more than sitting to work.

This is my home inside my home. I have a 16" MacBook Pro with a 34" external display. I've also go a iPadPro that I use for my teleconferencing. There is a 2nd MacBook Pro and a Surface Pro I've got put away for now.

49698465591_7ee430dd4c_b.jpg
i like the way you loaded up the dumbbell before you took the pic

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom