Working from home- Yahoo CEO says no more (1 Viewer)

I would much much rather work from home than an office. I dont have to worry as much abotu dresing in biz casual (not that id be a total housebound slob, either) office politics, office distractions, dumb*** meetings, etc and so on, I can get some real work done, AND take care of things at home. If I can multitask at work, i can do the same with things I need to do at home as well. Ya just have to have the discipline to turn it into work mode at start time, and off time when your work day is done.

But the, i dont have kids, either, but if I did, id still hire a baby sitter as needed.

Also, I do IT, so I find it really easy to work from home, and much easier to take care of my work, too.

i'm a firm believer that as long as you do what is asked and at a quality that you are paid for, what does it matter if you do it in 15m instead of 8h from the privacy of your home? at lot of IT work is just naggy, time consuming crap anyway. so what if you are beating off while migrating a VM across hosts, or writing an editorial? work is still getting done.

I would much much rather work from home than an office. I dont have to worry as much abotu dresing in biz casual (not that id be a total housebound slob, either) office politics, office distractions, dumb*** meetings, etc and so on, I can get some real work done, AND take care of things at home. If I can multitask at work, i can do the same with things I need to do at home as well. Ya just have to have the discipline to turn it into work mode at start time, and off time when your work day is done.

But the, i dont have kids, either, but if I did, id still hire a baby sitter as needed.

Also, I do IT, so I find it really easy to work from home, and much easier to take care of my work, too.
omg yes. I spend more ******* time in meetings than doing anything productive.

oh and kinda on the subject, training: I have taken quite a few courses at home for New Horizons that are traditionally offered in a normal classroom. well the classes taken traditionally are 9/10 ***. usually it is someone who has heard of the product, got the official book of instruction, and reads it word for word from the book to teach. the new horizons, learn from home in your underwear, courses were awesome. mostly it would be someone cool in like Denver or some **** and they knew what they were doing. I learned so much more from those courses than any of the actual classroom crap where **** ***** ask stupid questions.

i'd love nothing more than to telecommute. I hate people so it would benefit the company as well as me not killing a coworker.

Whenever I work from home I'm completely ineffective. Part of it is that I'm used to 2 24" monitors, which I don't have at home. The other part is that I'm tempted to run errands during the day so I don't have to on the weekend, and step away from my work for a while. I would probably get fired after about a week of working from home.

Whenever I work from home I'm completely ineffective. Part of it is that I'm used to 2 24" monitors, which I don't have at home. The other part is that I'm tempted to run errands during the day so I don't have to on the weekend, and step away from my work for a while. I would probably get fired after about a week of working from home.

i think this is really key-- knowing what works for you and what doesnt... i think that most people after a few yrs in the workforce, they know what fits them and what doesnt, like the person i quoted and the OP, who prefer to have that structure, and some of us who work better on our own.. it's probably a conversation that should happen during the interview process.. but i just feel like managers/companies who require 'butts in seats' with no flexibility are just so out of date and behind the times, and that style of management is hopefully dying off pretty quick now (with certain industries excluded, of course).. as others have said, if you need to be able to look over someone's shoulder to make sure they're doing their jobs-- then they're probably doing a ****-poor job anyway and wont last very long.

I have the ability to work from home when needed. For some aspects of my job it is more efficient to do at the office because of the resources available there. The issue is I have is more distractions at home than in the office. At the office i can lock myself in my office to eliminate most distractions but at home that is hard to do with my wife and kid around. I do work from home occasionally but I'm not as efficient as i would be in the office.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom