Workshop Essentials (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Since the move I have been steadily working on the garage, cleaning it out to the point that I can now create my "workshop". Unfortunately, the garage is not large enough for all of my woodworking gear, but I have room to build a nice "L" shaped workbench. I also have room for a nice tool chest (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...g-Cabinet-Combo-in-Red-H36Ch6TR6RXD/303411385), my router table and, with some creativity, a bench top drill press. There'll be room under the workbench at one end for a beer fridge.

We all have different uses for our workspaces, and I have been looking at a lot of things related to my electronics and model building hobbies. Necessities for me include a paint rack, paintbrush holder, space for my small compressor, an airbrush rack and then some pegboard backing for miscellaneous storage.

What do you consider to be your workshop essentials?

I'm lucky enough to have a large workshop. We bought a house with a 40x30 metal building that I'm using as a woodworking/electronics workshop.

For the woodworking part, I'll have a miter saw workstation capable of cutting up to 15 foot boards, my table saw with an outfeed table that will double as an assembly table, and a workbench with vise. I have a 60 galon vertical air compressor from Home Depot that will be stationed in the back of the shop with air run along both walls with a few drops along the way.

For the electronics workstation, I'll just have a large workbench with power and plenty of storage. I'll also build a cover for it to lessen the amount of sawdust that gets into my components and solder station.

i've been fortunate enough to usually be around a theatre shop (the place where sets are built)
so if i want to make a flower bed or side table or such like, i can usually make it from scraps lying about
BUT
my granddad used to have a great shop - he did mostly stained glass pieces and driftwood clocks, et al, so didn't need gobs of space (his shop was the size of 1/2 a garage) -- various drill presses, sanders, saws
while he was a great guy, he was certainly no teacher he'd show us a thing or two, but really didn't want to take the time to really get into it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom