World Cup 2022 - Qatar (with SR Pick'Em league) (4 Viewers)

It got waved off... not sure I understand why and I thought I knew the offsides rule. Griezman was offsides initially, but he didn't make a play on the ball and then it bounced off the defenders head and then he played it.

It got waved off... not sure I understand why and I thought I knew the offsides rule. Griezman was offsides initially, but he didn't make a play on the ball and then it bounced off the defenders head and then he played it.
I guess since Tunisia never had possession, he was still considered offsides.

I guess since Tunisia never had possession, he was still considered offsides.

Yeah, probably, I guess I'm unclear on when a player who is in the offsides position is then allowed to make a play - is it really not until possession is turned over?

It was only 4 bucks but I could have cashed it out at $12 but I had to get greedy and try and get the full $20. Now I've got 0.

tenor.gif

Yeah, probably, I guess I'm unclear on when a player who is in the offsides position is then allowed to make a play - is it really not until possession is turned over?
No - you have to remain out of the play until you are not in an offsides position. Once you establish yourself back on sides you can re-enter the play.

It is totally subjective though as the ref has to determine if you are distracting- which is considered in the play- and thus offsides

so here is my understanding of the rule

if the "deflection" was a "misplay" by defender, then not off. ( they call it "deliberate play" )

If the ball hit defender ( ie deflection, ricochet - wasnt attempting to play the ball ) then it would be offside.

Didnt see play but say they tried to clear ball and defender hits it inot the head of teammate ( by accident ) and it falls to a player stadning offside, he offside.

If same play, the player hits ball and his teammate attempts to redirect the ball w/ head and misses and falls to player in offside, he ONSIDE.

Very confusing....so left to interpretation by referee. IF ref feels player attempted to play ball vs not.

From the rules: this may help clarify

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

No change to Law 11 is necessary but, to reflect football’s expectation, the guidelines for distinguishing between ‘deliberate play’ and ‘deflection’ are clarified as follows:

‘Deliberate play’ is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate; or
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it).

No - you have to remain out of the play until you are not in an offsides position. Once you establish yourself back on sides you can re-enter the play.

It is totally subjective though as the ref has to determine if you are distracting- which is considered in the play- and thus offsides

OK that's what I thought, then I'll just say I disagree with the call. Griezmann was in the offsides position but he stopped and let hte play go past him... I don't think he had anything to do with the weak header.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom