WORST 1st round draft picks since 2000 (for each NFL team) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Woo, I got it right!

lades

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't know that Sullivan actually made 1.5 sacks in his four year stay in New Orleans. I guess it's one of the blind-squirrels-finding-a-nut situations.

Nutria

All-Rodent Team
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
>>lades: I didn't know that Sullivan actually made 1.5 sacks in his four year stay in New Orleans. I guess it's one of the blind-squirrels-finding-a-nut situations.

Results of Brownian motion.

Patty Ice

The Man
Reaction score
Don't agree with Bush as the runner up. Ellis and Robinson were easily worst picks. I get that Bush was 2nd overall (compared to 7th and 32nd for Ellis and Robinson respectively) but he was crucial in the Saints Championship year.

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Reggie at runner up bust is not right. Getting Reggie together with Brees helped create the belief and atmosphere that the team was really turning a corner to being a true contender.

RussTKD

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They labeled Reggie Bush as the runner-up.

Surely we've had a first round pick worse than Reggie, but better than Sully, right?

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score
Don't agree with Bush as the runner up. Ellis and Robinson were easily worst picks. I get that Bush was 2nd overall (compared to 7th and 32nd for Ellis and Robinson respectively) but he was crucial in the Saints Championship year.
Ya, I wouldnt put Reggie on there. Prob wouldnt put Sed Ellis on there either. But P-Rob, ya. I'd even put Robert Meachem on, instead of Sed. I dont think Meach ever caught more than 50 passes at any point in his career.

Mamba

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Other than Jonathan Sullivan, I don't think we've had another complete bust since 2000 when it comes to first round picks. Patrick Robinson certainly failed expectations, but even still he was picked #32. Sed Ellis had his moments, especially in his rookie year. We've been very fortunate. The 90's were much worse (Vaughn Dunbar, Irv Smith, Alex Molden, Chris Naole).

Big Ugly

All-Pro
Reaction score
Before you open the link, do you have a name in mind for the Saints? Again, this is the year 2000 and beyond.

http://football-players.pointafter....ource=outbrain&utm_campaign=rt.cm.ob.dt.10530

My vote PRIOR TO THE YEAR 2000 would be: Russell Erxlaben, punter.

I think many WhoDats will guess right on who the article says was our WORST since 2000.

:gosaints:
Bush as runner up is downright ignorant. He may not have been the second coming of Marshall Faulk but he was a productive player.

And Erxleben may have been our silliest pick but at least he had 4 or 5 solid seasons punting for us. There have been far worse picks like Shawn Knight who barely played a down.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
In the Jason Smith slide...is this a picture of Jahri Evans? Looks to be wearing Saints colors in the picture and looks like his face to me.

ETA: Their runner ups for biggest bust are really ridiculous in a lot of these cases. They have Reggie Bush as being a bust. Sorry, but while he may not have lived up to his #2 overall status (mainly because of the way our offense spreads the ball around and used running back by committee the whole time he was here), we wouldn't have won a Super Bowl without him and he wouldn't have had a 10+ year career. Busts bust. They don't play decade long careers.

Jonathan Sullivan, of course, is the definition of a bust.

Attachments

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I didn't know that Sullivan actually made 1.5 sacks in his four year stay in New Orleans. I guess it's one of the blind-squirrels-finding-a-nut situations.
I can't remember who the opponent was,but I do remember that sack. It was a miscommunication and Sullivan was left unblocked.

albionmoonlight

Can. Shall. Will.
Reaction score
Far from being a runner up, I think Bush at 2 was a good pick.

Ellis at 7 is the clear runner up.

Or maybe just put Sullivan twice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom