WORST 1st round draft picks since 2000 (for each NFL team) (1 Viewer)

Far from being a runner up, I think Bush at 2 was a good pick.

Ellis at 7 is the clear runner up.

Or maybe just put Sullivan twice.

Even Ellis can't really be called a bust. He played five years and while not living up to his #7 selection, he was serviceable at the least and sometimes he was actually really good. Busts wash out pretty fast and typically don't even finish their rookie deals.

His inconsistency was his biggest issue and the fact that he retired after we didn't re-sign him shows that he didn't really LOVE the game anyway and explains his up and down play while he was here.

In the Jason Smith slide...is this a picture of Jahri Evans? Looks to be wearing Saints colors in the picture and looks like his face to me.

ETA: Their runner ups for biggest bust are really ridiculous in a lot of these cases. They have Reggie Bush as being a bust. Sorry, but while he may not have lived up to his #2 overall status (mainly because of the way our offense spreads the ball around and used running back by committee the whole time he was here), we wouldn't have won a Super Bowl without him and he wouldn't have had a 10+ year career. Busts bust. They don't play decade long careers.

Jonathan Sullivan, of course, is the definition of a bust.

That's a Ram's jersey and that's not Evans. Looks like him a little, but it's not him.

Guess it right, and it's not even close between the guess and who should have been the runner-up, P-Rob. And agreed with the poster a few hours ago on how bad our No. 1's were in the 1990s compared to the 2000s.

what we gave up for Sullivan and how terrible he was adds up to an impressively bad move.

HOWEVER, maybe it's one of the those butterfly effect things. maybe if we keep those picks and don't draft Sullivan, we'd be a mediocre team instead of truly awful. maybe we don't end up ready to restart with Coach Payton, or Drew, or Reggie, or Colston, etc. maybe there's no SB44 ring, or any other ring.

things that make you go hmmm... :scratch:

The 2006 draft never quite lived up to its hype in general. And i am agree with the sentiment around here with regards to Bush. Asinine that he is considered a bust. But looking at the other players that were in the running for that "top pick" for the Saints none really had outstanding careers, while still very good in some instances....

Vince Young, AJ Hawk, DBrickishaw Ferguson, Vernon Davis, and Michael Huff were the next 5 picks.

Supposedly Saints wouldve taken Hawk if they didnt take Bush. And again, nice career, but nothing overly great.

Since the Saints would have had two first round picks if they hadn't traded up :rant: I vote that J. S. should be both the worst and the runner up. :angryrazz:

Since the Saints would have had two first round picks if they hadn't traded up :rant: I vote that J. S. should be both the worst and the runner up. :angryrazz:

And when the Saints traded up, I was all, "ooh, Terrell Suggs is still on the board! Pick him! Pick him!"

:rant:

My .02 re: Reggie...

No way, no how can Reggie be labeled a bust.

If you recall, he put the SPOTLIGHT onto the Saints that first year - on the NATIONAL STAGE.

And whereas his numbers may not have been "great", defenses HAD TO PLAN and ACCOUNT for Him on EVERY PLAY!

THAT helped the Saints offense greatly.

And, of course, you have to admit, Reggie had some SPECTACULAR plays for the Saints!

And he carried a mean bat...

Geaux Reggie Geaux!

It still surprises me how little we got in trade compensation for Reggie given how high his perceived value was among Saints fans.

Stephone Anthony is creeping up on bust label territory.
But I have hope that Nolan will make him great.

And whereas his numbers may not have been "great", defenses HAD TO PLAN and ACCOUNT for Him on EVERY PLAY!

Only Saints fans say this. NFL Teams don't do anything special to game plan for players who aren't producing big numbers. They face extremely talented players every single week on every single team. Reggie mostly faced standard defenses.

That said I don't think he deserves to be runner up. We did get a lot of use out of him as a receiving back and his emotional value that he brought at that time can't be understated.

Only Saints fans say this. NFL Teams don't do anything special to game plan for players who aren't producing big numbers. They face extremely talented players every single week on every single team. Reggie mostly faced standard defenses.

That said I don't think he deserves to be runner up. We did get a lot of use out of him as a receiving back and his emotional value that he brought at that time can't be understated.

I am going to respectfully disagree. Reggie Bush's contributions often didn't appear on a stat sheet. I do agree he never became the feared runner
out of the backfield like he was at USC. The biggest threat for opponents happened when he lined up as a slot receiver. It caused mismatches in coverage
that Brees could exploit. Opponents couldn't cover him with a Lb or safety. They often had their #1 or # 2 Cb. lined opposite Bush. The other
receivers benefited when teams put their best pass defenders on Bush.

It's funny that Glenn Dorsey is the runner-up for the Chiefs. The back-and-forth between Ellis and Dorsey back then (as to who was better) was kind of entertaining, and as it turns out neither one of them were terribly good.

what we gave up for Sullivan and how terrible he was adds up to an impressively bad move.

HOWEVER, maybe it's one of the those butterfly effect things. maybe if we keep those picks and don't draft Sullivan, we'd be a mediocre team instead of truly awful. maybe we don't end up ready to restart with Coach Payton, or Drew, or Reggie, or Colston, etc. maybe there's no SB44 ring, or any other ring.

things that make you go hmmm... :scratch:

I'll never forget that draft day. I was fekking sick when we traded up for him. We needed that other pick so bad and giving it up for him was sickening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom