Worst birthday ever! Advice needed! (2 Viewers)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sticky Post
My son-in-law Scott (my daughter-Sheena's spouse) died suddenly in my home tonight, from what the coroner thinks was a massive coronary caused by a blood clot in his neck, but will have to confirm.

I had just gotten back from having a birthday dinner with my wife in Carencro. We stopped at Firehouse Subs and McDonalds and got Sheena and the grandkids some fast food on the way back home.

When we got home, I saw Scott, asked him if he wanted some McDonalds and he said he wasn't hungry. I then saw him walk towards his room. My daughter said that she had gone off to take a bath, and I went to my PC to update the news here.

Not that long thereafter my daughter runs into my office in a panic and says she can't wake Scott up. I ran into his room and began to shake him to try to wake him up, no response. I checked his pulse. No pulse! He was purple and not breathing. I immediately began CPR and Sheena called 911. We (my son Andre, Sheena and I) continued CPR while being coached online by the 911 respondent. The police showed up about 10 minutes later and helped with the CPR, then a few minutes later the EMT's showed up. They worked on Scott for 20 minutes... tried everything, and then called it. Just like that, he was gone.

A little later, Sheena told her daughter Arya of her fathers passing, and I think that I am more devastated by that than anything. Naturally it is extremely hard to see your daughter in so much pain, but young grand children? Devastating!

Scott was 43 years old, a big Saints fan, as you can imagine, and was seemingly in good health. He loved his 2 kids (5 year old daughter and 2.5 year old son, my grandchildren) dearly, and was a very good father to them, as well as he was a spouse to Sheena. .

For that, and many other reasons, I loved Scott, too! But I don't care about me here, I am deeply concerned about my daughter and grand children. Of course Sheena is devastated. Since Sheena is stricken with MS, is physically disabled, and really can't work, It looks like my wife will have to take care of them, which I am more than happy to do, but I am no spring chicken. What happens when we are gone?

My wife and I had moved them all back to our home in Louisiana from Colorado a few months back due to them struggling financially, and they simply couldn't make it up there. It wasn't for the lack of trying. Scott did his best. It just didn't work out. He had no insurance of any sort, and no money. I am just sitting here thinking about how to move forward. The downturn in the Oil business that started in late 2015, in addition to helping to keep Scott and Sheena afloat destroyed my wife and I financially, as we were both out of work for two years ourselves. So I don't know what to do here. The Melancon funeral home people left with his body about an hour ago, and I told them I would call them tomorrow to make the arrangements.

Anyone have any experience with this? Do funeral homes finance funerals?

Sorry, I am simply in shock and not thinking straight. So forgive me if I seem a bit off. There are a 1000 things going on in my mind at the moment. Naturally for something like this, I turn to the community. It seems most of my friends in life are rooted here.

Edit: Updated to add gofundme link

Last edited:

soupcan dan

just beat bill
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please get some rest, I cannot possibly share your pain and worries but would be honored to help. You are a treasure and have my promise to help.

OP
OP
Andrus

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is there any sort of GoFundMe set up? I will gladly share the page and can donate to you on my next pay check. I haven't quite paid rent this month yet but when I am a little better off in 2 weeks can help.

Love and light andrus. We are all here for you.

Working on that now, and thank you!

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score
Andrus, I live in Yville and was given some uniforms for my daughter the other day, if your grand daughter could use them and If she’s in public school and I can def arrange to get them to you if it would help. Believe it was size 6.

Sorry for yours and your families loss. I couldn’t imagine.

OP
OP
Andrus

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Andrus, I live in Yville and was given some uniforms for my daughter the other day, if your grand daughter could use them and If she’s in public school and I can def arrange to get them to you if it would help. Believe it was size 6.

Sorry for yours and your families loss. I couldn’t imagine.
Well.. thank you very much, J.D! She does wear size 6, and Sheena would be grateful, but only if you are sure that your daughter doesn't need them.

If so... The address is:

Sheena Whitewing
392 Highway 182,
Sunset, La. 70584

obwhiteo

Proudly wearing my dress!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Post some sort of fund raiser on here. With all these members I’m sure we could help a good bit.

easydave

Tap-in
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of such a tragic, unexpected loss. I am sure your family relies heavily on you. The weight on your shoulders at this moment must be overwhelming. Take care of yourself.

Oye

running my mouth
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well.. thank you very much, J.D! She does wear size 6, and Sheena would be grateful, but only if you are sure that your daughter doesn't need them.

If so... The address is:

Sheena Whitewing
392 Highway 182,
Sunset, La. 70584
There's another thing - I don't know how to set it up, but people using Amazon could send items your way with an Amazon wish list. I don't know if they'd appreciate goods from Amazon being sent, but I'd be happy - if I knew what items might help get them ready for school - to order them on Amazon from here.

I'm in Canada, but have a US Amazon account I use regularly and would be happy to help get her set up for school. Even if you don't use the Wish List and just included them here in this thread, that would be cool, too.

But if that's too much in terms of having packages sent, I understand.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does she need some school supplies? Just let us know how we can help.

kanona29

Finish Strong!!
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There's another thing - I don't know how to set it up, but people using Amazon could send items your way with an Amazon wish list. I don't know if they'd appreciate goods from Amazon being sent, but I'd be happy - if I knew what items might help get them ready for school - to order them on Amazon from here.

I'm in Canada, but have a US Amazon account I use regularly and would be happy to help get her set up for school. Even if you don't use the Wish List and just included them here in this thread, that would be cool, too.

But if that's too much in terms of having packages sent, I understand.
The Amazon wishlist sounds like a great idea to go along with the GoFundMe, especially for getting things the kids will need for school.

Andrus, I hope you are able to get a little rest. It's so surreal how our lives can change in an instant. But it is also wonderful to know you have such a loving friend in Dan to provide you with immediate financial help.

Stuff like this really makes you evaluate your life and remember that life can be too short.

We're all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers...

Mojomajik9

Team Gleason
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Omg Andrus. I’m so sorry! That’s truly awful. You and your family are in my prayers. I can’t really offer advice in regards to the funeral expenses but I have plenty of experience dealing with a severe physical disability.

I know that’s a daunting issue but there are adaptive living equipment and home mods that you can do that can take the stress off you and your daughter. I’m in Florida but through the state there are several options for disabled people and their caregivers to get the adaptions they need and improve quality of life. Like very low interest loans or event grants I was able to get a handicap accessible van at a very friendly rate. If you have any questions shoot me a DM. Stay strong man. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Reduno

Veteran
Reaction score
Andrus, we don't know each other but I DO know how many people here love and respect you for what you've done here....and EVERYONE is feeling pain for you know. My prayers are with your whole family. May peace come upon you all until we meet our loved ones again.

JBO

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

St4ever

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe set up a paypal account that can be used to buy the school supplies and clothes throughout the year. There will be winter things needed as well as new spring things. Kids grow or should I say outgrow things from what I’m told and having your own account to use when purchasing those things might be better then strictly being held to Amazon.

Just thinking here.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dear Andrus, terrible news. I am very sorry for the loss of Scott.

I can’t even think on the pain of Sheena and the kids.

For years hanging here I know you have a tight family and friends.

And talking about friends, this is the time to accept their help.

Please let us know what we can do. We are here for you.
This.

I'm so sorry, man. What can we do to help?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom