Worst birthday ever! Advice needed! (1 Viewer)

There's another thing - I don't know how to set it up, but people using Amazon could send items your way with an Amazon wish list. I don't know if they'd appreciate goods from Amazon being sent, but I'd be happy - if I knew what items might help get them ready for school - to order them on Amazon from here.

I'm in Canada, but have a US Amazon account I use regularly and would be happy to help get her set up for school. Even if you don't use the Wish List and just included them here in this thread, that would be cool, too.

But if that's too much in terms of having packages sent, I understand.

The Amazon wishlist sounds like a great idea to go along with the GoFundMe, especially for getting things the kids will need for school.

Andrus, I hope you are able to get a little rest. It's so surreal how our lives can change in an instant. But it is also wonderful to know you have such a loving friend in Dan to provide you with immediate financial help.

Stuff like this really makes you evaluate your life and remember that life can be too short.

We're all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers...

Omg Andrus. I’m so sorry! That’s truly awful. You and your family are in my prayers. I can’t really offer advice in regards to the funeral expenses but I have plenty of experience dealing with a severe physical disability.

I know that’s a daunting issue but there are adaptive living equipment and home mods that you can do that can take the stress off you and your daughter. I’m in Florida but through the state there are several options for disabled people and their caregivers to get the adaptions they need and improve quality of life. Like very low interest loans or event grants I was able to get a handicap accessible van at a very friendly rate. If you have any questions shoot me a DM. Stay strong man. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Andrus, we don't know each other but I DO know how many people here love and respect you for what you've done here....and EVERYONE is feeling pain for you know. My prayers are with your whole family. May peace come upon you all until we meet our loved ones again.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Maybe set up a paypal account that can be used to buy the school supplies and clothes throughout the year. There will be winter things needed as well as new spring things. Kids grow or should I say outgrow things from what I’m told and having your own account to use when purchasing those things might be better then strictly being held to Amazon.

Just thinking here.

Dear Andrus, terrible news. I am very sorry for the loss of Scott.

I can’t even think on the pain of Sheena and the kids.

For years hanging here I know you have a tight family and friends.

And talking about friends, this is the time to accept their help.

Please let us know what we can do. We are here for you.

This.

I'm so sorry, man. What can we do to help?

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

I am very sorry for your loss and your families’ loss.
I can’t imagine how devastating this must be for your daughter and her children. It’s important to be there for one another and especially the children. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Thank you the outpouring of support. There is some excellent advice here that I am certainly going to use, and frankly some extremely touching thoughts posted.

What is happening now, is that Scott's mother will be meeting with the funeral director at Melancon Funeral Home in Carencro tomorrow morning. I told Scott's sister to tell her mom to make whatever choices on the burial and funeral arrangements that they (Sheena and Scott's family) decided upon, and to let me know the cost and I would cover any costs over what they could contribute, and if they couldn't contribute, that I would cover it.

I did so because Dan in Lafayette called me and told me in no uncertain terms that he would take care of the upfront costs of the funeral and burial, and he could get his funds back through the gofundme, and if not, no time limits on paying him back... just to show you the kind of stand up friend that old self-proclaimed curmudgeon really is. Also considered as well was confidence from your thoughtful and generous offers of support. So I guess I need to get started on that gofundme. I will probably start a new thread when it's ready. Perhaps tonight sometime. I am really tired and still have to update the news page.

To that point, other than paying back Dan, I really want to try to raise what I can for Sheena and the kids. Even to put a nice dent in Sheena and Scott's shared debt would be huge for them, as well as for my wife and myself.

Arya is starting her first year of school shortly, and my wife Lora just returned from bringing Arya shopping for school clothes, which is something that Scott was going to do today. Scott is such a huge loss in so many ways. I relied on him a lot personally. The shock and sorrow in this house today is indescribable. It's very somber and we are doing our best to make that less obvious to the grand kids. Not that I do, but I will never look at a post from another member that has suffered a sudden and tragic loss in any sort of casual manner again. Sometimes you have to go through it in order to gain perspective.

Big props to Dan in Lafayette for stepping up.

Andrus, Your story has been on my mind all day.
I rely on these forums for much of my virtual enjoyment. I’m sure I’m not alone in these sentiments.

You created a virtual sports world that has touched thousands of lives in one way or another over decades. At this point, it's generational. Events like this are where our virtual world gets real. You deserve all of the support that your SR community can bring forth. There are a lot of folks that care and whether it's through prayers or monetary or both, I'm confident that any needs you have will be met.
As troubling as this time is, I hope you're comforted at least somewhat in the support of this community.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. I am deeply touched by the profound support of the membership here. For all of the wrongs that I have done, it seems I may have done something right in my lifetime... here.

The gofundme page is up at https://www.gofundme.com/f/fundraiser-for-sheena-whitewing-and-her-2-children

So regarding this particular thread. I am pretty overwhelmed. I would like to respond to quite a few posts, many that have really touched me personally. I will respond to quite a few privately, however it may take a while, yet I truly appreciate every single response on this thread. Your words have really helped me cope over the past 20 or so hours.

Well.. thank you very much, J.D! She does wear size 6, and Sheena would be grateful, but only if you are sure that your daughter doesn't need them.

If so... The address is:

Sheena Whitewing
392 Highway 182,
Sunset, La. 70584

Thanks for this scoop, Andrus.

You are a wonderful and caring dad, and your daughter & her kids are so blessed to have you in their life.

Sometimes the mystery of life is so hard to understand, & I am sorry that you all have to endure such intense pain.

I have sent Sheena a card & a check so that she can use it for whatever she needs. I am hoping that will be a faster route for her, instead of waiting for PayPal or GoFundMe.

Thanks again everyone. I am deeply touched by the profound support of the membership here. For all of the wrongs that I have done, it seems I may have done something right in my lifetime... here.

The gofundme page is up at https://www.gofundme.com/f/fundraiser-for-sheena-whitewing-and-her-2-children

So regarding this particular thread. I am pretty overwhelmed. I would like to respond to quite a few posts, many that have really touched me personally. I will respond to quite a few privately, yet it may take a while, however I truly appreciate every single response on this thread. Your words have really helped me cope over the past 20 or so hours.

Woe is me...……..I should practice PATIENCE!!! As soon as my card & check is done, I see your post that the fund has been set up...…..anyway, GOOD JOB in taking care of the family!

Andrus, I’m beyond sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and your family.

As for the costs of funerals these days — the fact that the last two deaths in my family were cremations tells you all you need to know about the cost of traditional burials these days.

You got that right!!! Funeral costs are totally outrageous, and unfair.

I am going cremation or medical science, absolutely.

I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom