Worst "SCI-FI" name ever (1 Viewer)

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
So I watched Avatar on Disney+ the other night.

IMHO, unobtanium is easily the stupidest name for anything to ever get past an editor and producers. Seriously, how does anyone sign off on calling the oh so desired mineral "unobtanium"?

So, what are your thoughts? Dumbest SciFi name ever, either an object like unobtanium, a character like Jar-Jar Binks (well, that's more than a name, but that's a whole other thread), or a campaign plan.

So I watched Avatar on Disney+ the other night.

IMHO, unobtanium is easily the stupidest name for anything to ever get past an editor and producers. Seriously, how does anyone sign off on calling the oh so desired mineral "unobtanium"?

So, what are your thoughts? Dumbest SciFi name ever, either an object like unobtanium, a character like Jar-Jar Binks (well, that's more than a name, but that's a whole other thread), or a campaign plan.

I think I heard/read of "unobtainium" used by the stealth plane people when they were building their planes back in the 50's or so. I don't think its a sci-fi thing.

Was "unobtainium" a marketing/product placement ploy by Oakley? They've been using that term for years.

I don't watch movies, so I cannot put the two together without undesired research.

Unobtanium has a long history and is sort of a "secret handshake" with actual science. I think actual aerospace engineers used the term in a derogatory fashion and science fiction just winked at that. Not that it's a great term or anything, but it does have some cool historical roots.

For me, Necromongers.

Unobtanium has a long history and is sort of a "secret handshake" with actual science. I think actual aerospace engineers used the term in a derogatory fashion and science fiction just winked at that. Not that it's a great term or anything, but it does have some cool historical roots.

For me, Necromongers.

This is correct. It has a decades long history in theoretical science and engineering as shorthand for hypothetical "super materials" of extreme rarity and value. Then it moved into scifi from there.

For me, Necromongers.

Yeah, Cameron didn't just make it up, it's a term that has been used since the 1950s as a placeholder in thought experiments and theoretical physics and engineering.

Here is the wiki entry on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom