Worst Song Billy Joel Ever Did (1 Viewer)

For me, there are two Billy Joels:
One, the amazing, breath-taking songwriter and pianist of the 70s
and Two, the tired, out of ideas, pop singer of the 80s regurgitating tired pop song writing cliches (mostly from the 50s) .
After 52nd Street, the only record I find any good at all is The Nylon Curtain because on a few of those songs he finally found something to say again.

Interesting analysis.. i dont entirely disagree with you, although i actually did like his Greatest Hits album that came out in ‘85 or ‘86, becuase there were a couple of new songs he recorded for that that i liked- You’re Only Human (sorry Guido) as well as The Night is Still Young, which is one of my favorites.

From his five first albums Cold Spring Harbor to The Stranger, there is only one song I truly don't like in the whole catalogue. I honestly couldn't answer if I was asked if I was more blown away by his piano skills or his songwriting skills. He is incredible at both.

After 52nd Street, which is an okay album, but not nearly up to the first five, there are only four songs he wrote that I feel are up to his standards that he established in the 70s: Allentown, Pressure, The Downeaster Electra, and Goodnight Saigon (which is easily the best of the lot).

Never been a fan of Pressure at all, though i know people who love it.. good call on Allentown, and yes Goodnight Saigon is a masterpiece that i never hear mentioned alongside Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, or even A Day in the Life by The Beatles, though IMO it should be.... and i would add And So It Goes as one of his later works that was very high quality.

I thought I was the only one who loved Allentown, because other people seemed to skip over that one.

I've always hated We Didn't Start the Fire, but I'd have to give worst to This is the Time.

I haven't felt the need to buy or download anything Billy Joel did after 1980. Therefore, my answer is, Everything from The Nylon Curtain on.

I thought I was the only one who loved Allentown, because other people seemed to skip over that one.

I've always hated We Didn't Start the Fire, but I'd have to give worst to This is the Time.

Aw man, i was reaching for the Like button to give you a thumbs-up for your post- but then you had to end it by dissing This is the Time........ That is an amazing song.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom