Worst. Spin-offs. Ever. (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In the spirit of the spin-offs that overshadowing original works, why not spinoff a new thread.
Get it?
This time, it’s the worst of the worst. Cash grabs. Third rate characters getting their own shows. New characters getting a back door pilot in a existing show.
What’s your worst?
For me, off the top of head is Top of the Head from Married…With Children. Their first appearance in Married was a backdoor pilot. None of the characters were mentioned before in the show.

That early 90's spinoff of The Brady Bunch where it followed the Brady kids as adults. It wasn't a sitcom, but an hour long drama where the Brady kids had all kinds of personal strife in their lives. Bobby Brady became a race car driver and wrecks and becomes paralyzed and Cindy Brady had an affair with some old dude. Marsha becomes an alcoholic and her loser husband is always getting fired from his job.

The Cleveland Show animated spin-off series from Family Guy that lasted for 3 seasons wasnt a spinoff that could be labeled one of the worst ever, but it was a "steep disappointment" that took a previously kind of second-rate supporting character in Family Guy, destroyed his previous life, marriage and job in Quahog, RI, relocate him back down South with a new wife and step-kids. It was a spin-off with a decent premise but around the second season's midway point, the novelty, newness, and originality of the show began to fall apart because the show's writers and producers could never fully cut Cleveland's ties completely to Family Guy or Quahog. And a spinoff, ultimately has to succeed on the strengths, and singular focus of its own merits. It has to be a show thats distinguishable on its own, with its own characters, character arcs, major and minor sub-plots, story writing.

Anyone over the age of 55 likely knows that Good Times and The Jeffersons were spinoffs of All in the Family but those shows successfully re-wrote, re-fashioned, and reimagined their characters and storylines into completely new directions. They werent retreads but uniquely individual, singular shows that told their own stories but remained true enough to the original showrunner's material or legacy.

The Cleveland Show never gave me the sense it could separate itself enough apart from Family Guy.

That early 90's spinoff of The Brady Bunch where it followed the Brady kids as adults. It wasn't a sitcom, but an hour long drama where the Brady kids had all kinds of personal strife in their lives. Bobby Brady became a race car driver and wrecks and becomes paralyzed and Cindy Brady had an affair with some old dude. Marsha becomes an alcoholic and her loser husband is always getting fired from his job.
And The Brady Bunch Variety Hour

The Cleveland Show animated spin-off series from Family Guy that lasted for 3 seasons wasnt a spinoff that could be labeled one of the worst ever, but it was a "steep disappointment" that took a previously kind of second-rate supporting character in Family Guy, destroyed his previous life, marriage and job in Quahog, RI, relocate him back down South with a new wife and step-kids. It was a spin-off with a decent premise but around the second season's midway point, the novelty, newness, and originality of the show began to fall apart because the show's writers and producers could never fully cut Cleveland's ties completely to Family Guy or Quahog. And a spinoff, ultimately has to succeed on the strengths, and singular focus of its own merits. It has to be a show thats distinguishable on its own, with its own characters, character arcs, major and minor sub-plots, story writing.

Anyone over the age of 55 likely knows that Good Times and The Jeffersons were spinoffs of All in the Family but those shows successfully re-wrote, re-fashioned, and reimagined their characters and storylines into completely new directions. They werent retreads but uniquely individual, singular shows that told their own stories but remained true enough to the original showrunner's material or legacy.

The Cleveland Show never gave me the sense it could separate itself enough apart from Family Guy.
The Cleveland Show premiered in 09, only a few years after its revival and Family Guy merchandise was popping up everywhere.
That show had “cash grab” written over it.

Does the last season of Scrubs count?

Wait…this really happened?

Caprica
BSG is an all time great show - that Caprica was how they decided to still try and play in that sandbox remains a huge disappointment

Saved by the Bell: The College Years was probably the only one I can recall off the top of my head that I tried to watch...

Does the last season of Scrubs count?
That's a tough one. I'd say gray area on that. We still get quite a bit of JD, Elliot, Turk, and Cox. I only dislike that season because they ended season 8 in such a good way, there was no reason to bring those characters back. Unpopular opinion though, I still get some laughs out of season 9. I also have a pretty big crush on Eliza Coupe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom