Worst starting qbs in Saints history (1 Viewer)

to this day, I believe Jeff Blake got a raw deal... I wonder how payton would've handled jeff blake? Anyway they say everything happens for a reason, and if it wasn't for the whole Hasslett melt-down and Katrina, we would not be here talking about Brees/Payton etc.. and our one super bowl win.. so all things considered.. it worked out great for us.

I second the Jeff Blake got robbed thought. He was 7-3 in 2000 before he got hurt. Plus if I remember correctly, we were on a roll, I think winning 5 or 6 games in a row. He was never given a fair chance in training camp in 2001. If given a fair chance, he would probably have beaten out Brooks and would be rembered differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the Jeff Blake got robbed thought. He was 7-3 in 2000 before he got hurt. Plus if I remember correctly, we were on a roll, I think winning 5 or 6 games in a row. He was never given a fair chance in training camp in 2001. If given a fair chance, he would probably have beaten out Brooks and would be rembered differently.

Let's be honest here Jeff Blake didn't have a chance against Aaron Brooks. It is so easy to dismiss Brooks because of the bonehead plays he made and his attitude/work ethic. But at that point in their careers Brooks looked poised to take us to the Super Bowl.

Worst QBs to ever start at least one game for the Saints (non-strike):

Karl Sweetan (1968)
Larry Cipa (1974)
Guido Merkens (1982)
Mike Buck (1993)
Doug Nussmeir (1997)

Let's be honest here Jeff Blake didn't have a chance against Aaron Brooks. It is so easy to dismiss Brooks because of the bonehead plays he made and his attitude/work ethic. But at that point in their careers Brooks looked poised to take us to the Super Bowl.

Brooks may have beat out Blake. I know there was a lot of hype on Brooks. Maybe hindsight is 20/20 and my opinion on Brooks is jaded by his later attitude. But I do think a healthy Blake beats out Brooks. Haslett was dead set on Brooks and I firmly believe Blake never got a fair chance. But another thing to consider is whether Blake was fully healed in Training Camp of 2001. The past is the past. Let's enjoy having a Hall of Fame QB while we have him. Who the worst QB in Saints' history is up for debate. There are many contenders for that crown. But there is no debate on the best QB in Saints history. Long live Drew Brees!

Shuler hands down , ill never forget opening week against the skins, guy was wearing a skins shuler jersey boy he heard it ! Was gone before 2nd qrt started

brooks didn't have a chance against the enamored, myopia that was created with him winning games by playing a lot of "street ball" with willie jackson.

although the offense was installing more and more each week with blake, we went back to a more stripped down offense when brooks came in. SO many productive plays were made off of playaction, due to deuce and broken plays that brooks kept alive with his athleticism and his feet.

willie jackson was a 1000 yd, playoff receiver who couldn't even stick with a club after. horrible route runner. he and brooks were both very athletic.

there was the facade of jackson being an "all pro" receiver, as there was the same sentiment that brooks was better than blake.

from a pure QB standpoint, it was obvious even then, that there was a lot of "street ball" happening and a SICK running back at the helm.

blake was running the offense very smart and efficiently.

if mccarthy would have tailored the offense around brooks' skill set and not tried to "re-invent the wheel" on offense (remember the failed 2 TE set w/ no FB), keep adding verbage and wrinkles with NO adjustments and try to make brooks a pocket passing WC style QB, then i think brooks could have had LEGITIMATE accolades.

our offense excelled in many ways in SPITE of mccarthy's playcalling. he thought his scheme was bigger than the players and productivity was all due to "execution". you can hear that tag line from all players on offense over his span when asked about when things didn't go right.

i can't believe deuce stayed as healthy as he did through his regime. brooks and deuce were not always put in the best position to succeed, but, especially deuce, usually made something out of nothing by sheer will and physical prowess.

that being said, brooks' "hype" and a play off berth may have caused some myopic vision of his skills, but blake NEVER got a clear shot once he went down.

Yeah, he wasn't the best QB but he was far from the worst. Work ethic or no work ethic (cheap shot). I remember he got us our FIRST playoff win. As well as putting up a winning record and didn't cost the team high draft picks to do it.

Yeah, he wasn't the best QB but he was far from the worst. Work ethic or no work ethic (cheap shot). I remember he got us our FIRST playoff win. As well as putting up a winning record and didn't cost the team high draft picks to do it.

that is how i feel, too. i don't over tout him and don't take away what he did, either. he wasn't put in the best possible scenario to succeed all the time. we posted some bigger offensive numbers than years before, due to a different scheme and more athletic players. also, there was NO film or ability to scheme and game plan against brooks, jackson and such.

he was very athletic and if had an offense actually geared to HIS strengths, he would have been 1) even more productive and 2) not be weighed down with a almost * by his name as a saints QB. he was not the greatest, psuedo typical QB, but the combo of haslett AND mccarthy, which thrust him into the spotlight, also helped in his demise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom