Worst starting qbs in Saints history (1 Viewer)

Heath Shuler by a mile. I remember Wuerffel was a special kind of bad, but he also had a few moments of promise. Heath Shuler had zero positive moments in his short career here.

Hobert was a decent QB, we just never got to see what he could do for us because he couldn't stay healthy. But every other QB in Ditka's rotation was terrible.

I'm too young to remember anything earlier than late 80's early 90's. dave Wilson comes to mind and the billy joes.

does Charlton heston count? I read an article that billy kilmer had to throw the football for him during the filming of the movie. how bad do you have to be when kilmer's passes look better than yours!?

i'd like to know the full list of everyone that started at QB for the saints.

Danny Woeful wins this one:
wuerffel.jpg

Wow

I did too.. Pretty sad that he even gets mentioned at all in this thread. Before Brees got here, Brooks was breaking all-time Saints records left and right. Brooks was the 3rd best QB in franchise history IMO. Behind only Brees and Archie Manning.

Bony Hebert was better than Brooks. Don't tell me it was all defense. We won double digit games the year before he sat out. The year he sat out we won 7. The year he came back we were 12-1 in the games he started. The only difference in those three years was Hebert. Same defense.

im going to go with kerry collins. he had ALL the intangibles needed and phoned it in. he was big, athletic and great arm.

danny wuerffel didn't produce very well, at all. he just didn't have "IT" and definitely a system qb...and this wasn't his system.

shuler wasn't a bad qb, he was plagued with that foot injury almost constantly. i think, due to ditka's belief in him and playing through injuries, he hurt himself and the team more than realized. in 97 zellars and bates COMBINED didn't reach 1000 yds rushing...pathetic. the line was decent.

the billy joes get a LOT of flack. tolliver didn't play that bad, but hobert (and so glad to see others mention this as well) really became a leader and legit, NFL caliber starter for us. i was devastated when he went down with injury. he had a great deep ball, good touch and could move around in the pocket to keep plays alive and was tough, vocal leader.

dave wilson was nothing to write home about.

nussmeier wasn't good, but he had very limited field time.

danny abramowicz during the ditka years, was a pretty horrible O.C. we didn't have a LEGIT back until williams in 99. the line was nice make up of roaf, fontenot, naole and turley.

so, give hobert the props he deserves. you should go back and REALLY watch those games again. many people just make the knee jerk reaction due to highlights and faded memories of anguish of losing. heck, the mike ditka defenses were pretty freaking good. in 97 we were the 4th best D in the league and 1st in sacks.

I did too.. Pretty sad that he even gets mentioned at all in this thread. Before Brees got here, Brooks was breaking all-time Saints records left and right. Brooks was the 3rd best QB in franchise history IMO. Behind only Brees and Archie Manning.

I agree 100%. Bobby Hebert and Billy Kilmer are both in the Saints HoF. I hope one day they let AB in. His numbers are far and away better than any QB the Saints have ever had with the exception of Brees. And he brought us our first playoff victory. I realize he did not have the most desirable personality or work ethic but based on numbers alone, he should be considered one of the best OBs to ever wear the black and gold.

I've been following the Saints since 1982. Shuler and Wuerffel are the worst that I've seen. At least with Richard Todd and Kenny Stabler, they had some success with other teams(Jets and Raiders respectively). Shuler was a bust in DC as well as here. Wuerffel was bad here, DC, and Chicago. It's tough to choose between the two. Wuerffel was the QB when we got shut out in 1997, which was the first time we had been shut out since 1983. That shutout in 97 was the first of back to back shutouts, which was the last time we were shutout. With that said, I'm changing my earlier answer from Shuler to Wuerffel. Wuerfell was a great guy, class act, but he was nowhere near a NFL Quarterback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have said it before, I will say it again... Dave Wilson :gold_cup: is the worst QB the Saints have ever had, dang near ruined my childhood and almost made me a Cowboy fan... :rant::facts::fit2::banghead::pain30:

as far as Walsh, why am I the only one to have realized when the new coach of the Cowboys was able to get his QB from his title winning dynasty teams down in Miami,that he is willing to trade him off for that UCLA guy...I knew something was fishy

Larry Cipa... How many remember that guy....?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom