Worst starting qbs in Saints history (1 Viewer)

I only started watching the Saints and grasping what was really going on around 99. However, I remember as a kid, my dad and his friends would get together to watch them and I don't think heard so many f bombs in my life when Wuerffel was here.

I second/3rd 4th... Danny Awful...

You can't say Aaron Brooks...c'mon... I know he had his bad moments but he had some great ones also...

When I saw the thread title I just knew someone would find a way to work in Aaron Brooks. :jpshakehead:

I did too.. Pretty sad that he even gets mentioned at all in this thread. Before Brees got here, Brooks was breaking all-time Saints records left and right. Brooks was the 3rd best QB in franchise history IMO. Behind only Brees and Archie Manning.

It seems like we are missing someone. I would have to go with Danny Wuerfel too. Billy Joe Tolliver was worse the Billie Joe Hobert by a mile. Billy Joe actually seemed pretty good until he go hurt, almost giving us some optimism. I would put Heath Shuler after Wuerfel though. I was young but I used to the the world of Danny, until I saw him throw a fade and an out route.

danny aweful's arm was so weak that we faked an injury to have mike buck throw a flea flicker bomb...

or was that walsh?

gees too many bad ones to remember

Archie Manning was pretty bad. Richard Todd and Dave Wilson were also awful. Most of you clearly don't go back far enough to remember them since you keep saying the Billy Joes (and yes, they were pretty bad) or Aaron Brooks (and that is just wrong unless you want to judge him solely on his attitude).
But, to my memory, DWoeful had absolutely no business being in the NFL. Shuler at least showed some promise early on and was also athletic. Walsh went to the playoffs and won a few games. Did Weurffel win one game? Did he win two? I'd have to check, but I'd put the over/under on him at 1.5.

Ok, so he won 2 with the Saints, 2-4 overall. He also won (!) two games with the Redskins years later, but the question was about the Saints, so I give him no credit for those Was wins.
I still say DannyW is #1 all time had no bidness even being IN the NFL.

Last edited:
Technically it would be Guido Merkens.

He was forced into action during the 1982 season as an emergency starter due to injuries and boy was he bad (not his fault, obviously). I still remember one play where he was scrambling for his life out of the pocket and decided to run for whatever yardage he could get and tripped on his ownself and did a face plant. It was actually quite hilarious.

As much as I loved the guy, Danny Wuerfel was a terrible Pro QB. He is an outstanding guy, with great character and was even a GREAT College QB, but not in the NFL.

Danny Wueffle was probably the worse QB for the Saints. Dave Wilson, then Health Shuler in that order.

I've been watching since 79---I'm throwing another vote Wuerffel's way. I barely remember the Saints scoring while he was playing. Ken Stabler in his last year in NO had more range and zip on his passes than Danny did shotputting the ball. When Billy Joe Hobert took over, his actually having an NFL arm made him look like a #1 overall pick compared to Wuerffel.

That being said, Danny might be one of the top 5 best people to ever suit up for the Saints. He still continues to work with Desire Street Ministries to this day. Great guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom