Saints Would a Michael Thomas for Jalen Ramsey trade interest you in offseason?

Ratings
Sticky Post
Lets not get overly technical, maybe we have to throw in a bit more with MT13. I'm not quite sure exactly. Mike Thomas is an elite sure handed and route running WR that can help elevate Jax offense with hopefully a new qb direction next year with LF7 running and Chark's downfield presence.

Jalen has caused quite a few stirrings in Jax this past year and maybe the organization feels they need a new direction. Jalen Ramsey is an ELITE talent in the NFL. We also have Lattimore essentially locked up on his rookie deal for another 3 years after this year. Ramsey and Lattimore is game changing on the defensive side of the ball with Davenport/Cam/Rankins on the DL and a young athletic group of LB's.

Saints have a history of going after premier CB gets in the league. Sherman, Norman to name a few. MT13 has started to have a bit of drama smoke around him, not necessarily stating that it has become an actual problem yet.

Two other things to ponder, Do you really see the Saints paying Mike Thomas 18-19 mill a year contract? Ramsey's contract will be unreal as well. Top CB in league only making maybe 15 mill a year but Ramsey might want Aaron Donald/ Khalil Mack type money at 22+ or so. Both Thomas and Ramsey essentially have the same type of contract. Ramsey would have the 5th year option though. I doubt Ramsey plays on that 5th year deal, he'd want to get paid is my guess.

This could also help ease the pain of resigning Kamara instead of Kamara and Thomas getting paid huge money on the offensive side of the ball.

Lastly, i just want to confirm that none of this discussion needs to be translated to a Saints fan bashing or doesn't like Michael Thomas. I love the dude and what he brings to this organization. The thought that he can be a primary piece to acquire Jalen Ramsey is nothing short of an all out compliment to MT13's talent.

Pharoah

American saints fan by the grace of god
Ratings
If Ramsey did not have the drama issues surrounding him then this trade would not even be possible. No team would trade a top 2 or 3 CB in the league for a top 5ish WR. Pretty simple. To speak on the Ramsey "problems", i'm more than confident that our professional organization would be able to handle a personality like Ramsey. I think Ramsey would be more than happy to fall in line with an organization like the Saints or Patriots offer and get to work and be a great team. Ramsey is very Deion Sanders ish with his personality. Pretty sure they are very close as well. Deion never held back one of his teams from Winning when it mattered.

Drew Brees has thrown for 5k yards 5 times, only once with MT and that was his rookie year with Cooks. Drew Brees and Saints offense will find ways to continue to be successful. A little faith in Tre'Quan, a little hope in Meredith's knee. Still have Ginn under contract another year, maybe draft or pick up another free agent. We won a Super Bowl with Colston, Devery, Meachem and a virgin Lance Moore. We need to become more ball control and running (as we have been transitioning) regardless as drew ages and we prepare for a new QB take over. An elite defense with the best CB tandem will set up a bright future.

If a hypothetical trade like this does not happen then sure i hope we resign Thomas here. Definitely don't want to lose him for little gain. He's everything we want in a WR and i was a huge fan of his during the draft before we got him. He's already the best WR the Saints have ever had. I also feel pretty sorry for anyone who can't see the forest from the trees and have enlightened football discussions. We are fans passing time on a message board. Nobody is preparing to suit up on Sunday.
Devery.Colston.Meach.and Moore were amazing and a perfect balance. Name a better group of recievers and dont forget shockey. Go ahead, I will wait

Pharoah

Ratings
Also the Saints have a lockeroom full of great guys who all seemingly get along with each othervery well. We dont need a cancer eating away at team chemistry. Those guys dont last long under CSP regardless of talent level. Need I remind you of Stills, jimmy g, brandon cooks or junior gallette? Just to name the obvious?

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I mean the trade is worth mentioning due to the lack of real super star trades the NFL has but 14 years ago was a long time ago by NFL standards. I mean 2003, the year prior to this trade there were only 2 4k passing yard quarterbacks. Different game then. Value of CB's has gone up tremendously, not to mention that in fact the Broncos unarguably came away with the better talent. Portis went on to be a bell cow for the Redskins but never again did he rush for more than 4.3 yards a carry for Washington. He came off 2 back to back years at 5.5 in denver. Denver did not have much issues continuing their running attack with Droughns, Bell and then Anderson and Bell the year after.
I see what you're saying and it was a different game then. RBs were more in demand than they are now but lock down Corners were still very, very valuable. And I think it's a valid comparison because WRs are like the new RB, everybody wants a bell cow, WR1. Teams are desperate for that game changing, #1 WR.

That's why you see WRs like Jarvis Landry, Brandin Cooks, and Sammy Watkins making 15-16 million a year on average. Josh Norman is the only Corner in football who makes 15+ mill a year on average. Xavier Rhodes is one of the best CBs in the league and his contract includes 20 million in guaranteed money. Compare that to these WRs:

DeSean Jackson - 20 mill guaranteed
Emmanuel Sanders - 20 mill
Brandin Cooks - 20.5
Keenan Allen - 20.7
Sammy Watkins - 30
Jarvis Landry - 34
Demayrius Thomas - 35

Some of these WRs are best suited to be #2 WRs yet they are making more than an All Pro Corner.

Pharoah

Ratings
We will have to agree to disagree. IMHO Moore was better than Snead. Thomas is slightly better than Colston by a very slim margin. Cooks was a one trick pony and a whiner (meach and henderson were better, at least they had strength to break the press) Not to mention had the cahones to run a slant route and the ability to run the entire route tree. Not to mention could and were willin to block. And then there was Shockey. Who was integral in our passing attack.

OP
OP
Covington Saint
Ratings
We will have to agree to disagree. IMHO Moore was better than Snead. Thomas is slightly better than Colston by a very slim margin. Cooks was a one trick pony and a whiner (meach and henderson were better, at least they had strength to break the press) Not to mention had the cahones to run a slant route and the ability to run the entire route tree. Not to mention could and were willin to block. And then there was Shockey. Who was integral in our passing attack.
Moore was injured that year. He only had 14 receptions. Hardly anything to hang your hat on the talents of that year's group. Thomas is WAY better than Colston and that's no insult to Colston.

Meach and Dev were talented receivers. both were well rounded and some different attributes than Cooks. But there's no denying Cooks is the better WR talent in the NFL than probably both of them combined.

Black&Gold Knight

Ratings
Moore was injured that year. He only had 14 receptions. Hardly anything to hang your hat on the talents of that year's group. Thomas is WAY better than Colston and that's no insult to Colston.

Meach and Dev were talented receivers. both were well rounded and some different attributes than Cooks. But there's no denying Cooks is the better WR talent in the NFL than probably both of them combined.

You've really gone off the deep end now.

Ratings
Are you here to talk grammar semantics or football? You suggested our WR's didn't step up yet there was only 3 targets during the game. Now you suggest something is silly without any intelligent argument. You've actually discussed very little of the context of my discussions i've presented throughout this thread.
WRs would get targets if they separated from defenders.

Ratings

How can someone be this far separated from reality?

OP
OP
Covington Saint
Ratings

You're speechless that Brandin Cooks who was twice traded for a 1st round draft pick is not the better receiver over Robert Meachem and Devery Henderson neither of whom have ever had a 1000 yd season much less compared to Cooks 4 in a row with 3 different teams?

Never mind that you lack the ability to actually type an actual argument validated with reason and/or logic.

Last edited:

Black&Gold Knight

Ratings
You're speechless that Brandin Cooks who was twice traded for a 1st round draft pick is not the better receiver over Robert Meachem and Devery Henderson neither of whom have ever had a 1000 yd season much less compared to Cooks 4 in a row with 3 different teams?

Never mind that you lack the ability to actually type an actual argument validated with reason and/or logic.
205 and counting.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Ratings
Is this a new record for dead drunken Falclowns by an OP?

Right now, it's at 202. :covri:

:gosaints:
It's kind of unfair too because if I started listing non-QB players that would be worth the most in trade scenarios it would probably start like this.
1) Donald
2) Ramsey
3) Khalil Mack
4) Desmond King
5) Fletcher Cox
6) Akiem Hicks
7) Kyle Fuller
8) Leighton Vander Esch
9) DeMarcus Lawrence
10) Marshawn Lattimore

There is a huge premium on guys that can get to the QB, be a shutdown corner and LB's that can run sideline to sideline and defend the pass.

Pharoah

Ratings
Moore had some crucial catches in our playoff run. Snead was either in the coaches doghouse or so out of shape that he might as well of been on the ps a few years back. Cooks has hands the size of my wife and pouts just like she does when he doesnt get his way. He sealed his fate when he wasnt in the gameplan and was used to open up things for CGM as we pummelled Greg Williams rams essentially sealing his fate with the organization. Colston entered the league as a t.e. and became a career saint who was absolutely money in the bank and retired a saint while showing unparalleled class. Henderson could pop the top on any defense and could block as could Meach. Oh yeah dont forget shockey whom you continue to ignore. B.T.W. horn, stallworth, and even paathon was a darned good group in their own right albeit with "smiley" tossing them the ball. Right now we have CGM who if he plays out his career in b&g should definitely own every record in our book.... But wait you want to trade him for Ramsey? 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.