Would anyone be opposed to... (1 Viewer)

TideSaint

All-Pro
Reaction score
doing what the Cleveland Browns did on draft weekend a couple years ago? They selected a linebacker in 3 of the first 4 rounds taking OLB Kamerion Wimbley in the first, D'Qwell Jackson in the second, and Leon Williams in the 4th. I know alot of you are going to say that the Brown's defense is horrible but it is not because of linebacker play. They have no defensive line or secondary, but their linebackers are good.

With the upcoming draft being a very good one for linebackers, which we all know make the earliest defensive impact, would any of you be upset with the Saints going this route? In no particular order these are some of the linebackers that are projected to be selected in the first 4 rounds:

Keith Rivers, OLB from USC 6'3" 235 lbs 4.58
Dan Connor, MLB from Penn State 6'3" 232 4.67
James Laurinitis, MLB from Ohio State 6'3" 247 4.53
Phillip Wheeler, MLB from Georgia Tech 6'2" 25 4.62
Tavares Gooden, MLB from Miami 6'2" 235 4.54
Jerod Mayo, MLB from Tennessee 6'2" 230 4.67
Xavier Adibi, OLB from Virginia Tech 6'2" 226 4.54
Ali Highsmith, OLB from LSU 6'0" 226 4.59
Erin Henderson, OLB from Maryland 6'3" 242 4.67
Shawn Crable, OLB from Michigan 6'5" 245 4.65
Geno Hayes, OLB from Florida State 6'2" 220 4.67
Ezra Butler, OLB from Nevada 6'2" 248 4.54
Marcus Howard, OLB from Georgia 6'2" 245 4.66
Beau Bell, OLB from UNLV 6'2" 248 4.63
Quentin Groves, OLB from Auburn 6'3" 250 4.46

Give me a second and I will post some more names for consideration (I can't open up 2 pages at a time on my MSNTV).

But until then, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I think that it depends on who is available when the Saints choose. :shrug:

I certainly wouldn't want the Saints to chose a LB if there is a more talented player available - especially if he is available in a position of need.

Maybe select 2 out of 4 rounds. Remember we have a offensive minded coach. I see us actually drafting offense in the 2nd.I hope I am wrong.

Of course if there is a extremely good player at a position we need help in I would hope that we would draft whoever it may be. However, there aren't many big name, or good for that matter, linebackers that are going to be available via free agency while other positions like cornerback will be. If we could solidify our secondary through FA, along with a decent DT, I think we could draft one or two quality starting linebackers in this draft.

I would be happy with selecting defensive players in 3 of the first 4 rounds, much less 3 linebackers. Like it's been said before, BDPA (Best Defensive Player Available).

Personally i think as of last couple of drafts the linebacker position has been the safest bet on defensive best player available.

What about Jonathan Goff (MLB, Vanderbilt)? That guy looks like the real deal.

I like Goff as well, but he isn't projected to go in the first 4 rounds like the others I posted. However, I think this guy would be a steal on the second day of the draft.

I'd be fine with it as long as we picked up a good DT and top CB in FA. The Packers once selected CBs in the first three rounds....the best of which ended up being their 3rd round pick, Mike McKenzie.

No.

They run a 3-4. Wimbley was a DE in college and he primarily rushes the passer for them, ala DeMarcus Ware and Merriman.

This would be like the Saints drafting DLinemen with 3 of their first 4 picks this year. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

LBs are not critical to the success of a team that runs a 4-3. The DLine is. If you spend a lot of money/picks on LBs, you end up with a lot of high paid guys standing on the sideline. A lot of teams spread the field and force teams into nickel defense. Unless you want to cover WRs with LBs, it's best to go with DLinemen and DBs first.

I like Goff as well, but he isn't projected to go in the first 4 rounds like the others I posted. However, I think this guy would be a steal on the second day of the draft.

He's the top-rated senior MLB; many project him as a 2nd round pick.

I say MLB for sure. Too many OLB available in free agency. Draft a MLB or Dorsey with first pick, Lure Suggs, and trade out fourth rounder to move up and get which ever we did not get out of my first choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom