Would drafting Jonathan Taylor make any sense? (1 Viewer)

Never really paid much attention to Taylor but from what I have seen or heard he is more of a power RB .... I like our RBs to be more of everything than just primarily one skill set... I would rank a CEH higher on my board than Taylor...
If this happens, trading Kamara immediately becomes strong possibility.

I would not be surprised to see them select a RB, although not in the first. I know they view Taylor favorably. I also would not be surprised to see them select someone like Cam Akers who not only runs and catches the ball well but also is good in pass protection.

I think a lot will just depend on how the first round unfolds. If they take a QB, and they could if it is the ideal guy, then it will mean addressing WR/LB later. They also want to add interior OL depth. Obviously, there is not a particular order to how they have to approach it but they have their priorities and then there are things they, ideally, would want to get done.

If this happens, trading Kamara immediately becomes strong possibility.
Immediate seems a waste. Keep them. If Kamara is a whiny baby about it, so be it. But there's clearly a void and he was as effective all solo as we wanted. Even allowing he wasn't healthy all season.

We need 3 good RB's!? We don't even run it enough to let Murray or Kamara get into a rhythm as is, what on earth are we going to do with 3 back there?

Point taken, but my view is different. Kamara and Murray are both good backs. Kamara has been exceptional, which means there's no telling what kind of contract he'll demand. That is, if he stays healthy next season. If not, that's another problem. Murray is solid, as well, but I think we need a down-right bruiser at the #3 spot. Is it a huge need? No, and that's why I would look towards the later rounds to take one if we do.

If you ask me he’s the best player in the draft, at a position of need. No way I’d be upset with the pick. Are their potential picks that I personally like more right now? Sure. But on the offensive side of the ball, if not an offensive guard I think the biggest need is one more play-maker.

The versatility of the Saints’ best offensive weapons (Thomas, Kamara, Sanders, Cook, Taysom) gives flexibility to the offense in that they can draft any position and plug that guy into a role. Drafting Taylor gives them the ability to put Kamara in a lower volume of carries, heavier slot role which is a very good thing.

I sure hope not. I don’t think Murray & Taysom get enough carries as it is. I wouldn’t mind seeing Harris get more runs as well. If we did, it would mean Kamara won’t be here much longer

I’m all for taking one in the 5th, 6th, or if we acquire more picks

Judging from Payton’s past he seems to like RB’s that do different things. We had Bush and Deuce, PT and Bush/Sproles, AK and Ingram. One power runner and one scat back that is a good receiver. With AK being a possible cap casualty and LM being the easier to re-sign IMO Payton is gonna go after the scar back type which is why I think we trade into the 2nd for CEH.

Frankly it would not surprise me if Coach Payton opted to take him in round one. Taylor is an outstanding prospect. I do, however, believe that the smart money will be on a LB, OG or CB, depending who falls in the first as someone always does. For me an OG makes sense if there is any consideration of trading Worford this year or cutting him next. CB is also a need position with Jenkins age and for some quality depth in the NFC South. My personal preference is a LB who can start in the middle from day one and provide some athleticism and speed at that position.

He's already got a lot of miles, but since RB career's in the NFL is so short, I think he would be a beast for his 1st contract.

I would rather Clyde

I like Taylor, but hes a little to stiff in the hips to be my number 1.

IMO, hes not someone who can create on his own, and be able to force a lot of missed tackles at the next level, unless he has a full head of steam.

He's a RB that's going to need a good O Line to be successfull. Which is like most RB's in the NFL. The real special ones dont.

By no means am I saying hes not a good RB, I just dont think he is that special talent.

He reminds me of Chris Ivory. Someone who could lead the league in rushing yards with a great O Line, but could also average 3.1 ypc the next year with a bad O Line.

He could have a very good career with the right organization.

Just my opinion...

I'm not even an LSU Homer, I just think that Clyde is the best overall fit at RB for the Saints

He reminds me of a Modern Day Mark Ingram. Can execute anything you ask him to do.

He is an absolute perfect fit for a Sean Payton Offense.

As a prospect, I actually have him ranked higher then Justin Jefferson.

Everyone on here knows how much I love Justin Jefferson.

I know this post makes me seem like an LSU Homer, but LSU just has a lot of talent in the draft this year that fits our scheme.

Last edited:
I would love to have CEH

He is the best back I have ever seen at UW, and there have been some good ones.
I think he will have the best pro career of any of them.
His speed, power and lateral quickness is elite. He would be a great fit with AK. I really like L Murray but this kid would represent an upgrade and eventually replace the both of them. I doubt he last much past our pick? That 5th year option for a 1st Rd pick is nice to have if you are going to spend draft capital on a RB.

It would be like a collector buying a vintage car just to keep it in the garage.

Judging from Payton’s past he seems to like RB’s that do different things. We had Bush and Deuce, PT and Bush/Sproles, AK and Ingram. One power runner and one scat back that is a good receiver. With AK being a possible cap casualty and LM being the easier to re-sign IMO Payton is gonna go after the scar back type which is why I think we trade into the 2nd for CEH.

I’m not convinced Taylor can’t do more in the passing game. Melvin Gordon had 20 receptions combined in his last two years at Wisconsin and is one of the better 3 down RBs in the league. Wisconsin just doesn’t give their RBs the opportunity.

I’m not convinced Taylor can’t do more in the passing game. Melvin Gordon had 20 receptions combined in his last two years at Wisconsin and is one of the better 3 down RBs in the league. Wisconsin just doesn’t give their RBs the opportunity.
I get what your saying but there is a difference in a RB than can catch out of the backfield and a RB like AK, Sproles, Bush type dynamic back. We already have Murray who is our power back who can catch out of the backfield. With AK’s future being an unknown it would make sense to get another dynamic RB like CEH.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom