Would loomis follow Payton to his new job in 2 years (1 Viewer)

He said in the presser that he had just purchased a new home in the area. You don't do that when you are planning on retiring and moving away to a new team. I think he will be involved with the Saints in some capacity after he takes a year off. Either that or he goes to work for a network and is a studio guy like Johnson, et al.

I don't know. Rich people own properties so I'm hesitant to read too much into that.

Loomis has ascended above GM, he is Gayle's right hand man for both the Saints and Pelicans, if anything they promote some young talent to GM for the Saints (Ireland and Khai Harley) and they take over while Loomis continues his role as overseeing both franchises.

A GM would have to hire SP. How could SP then have them fired and then hire Loomis!??!

It makes more sense that Loomis moves on somewhere else and then taps Payton to get out of retirement.

I remember Sean saying he'd be here as long as Mickey was here so yesterday made me wonder if they were staggering their exits so as not to cause too much damage at once. I don't know, this departure feels less than organic to me.

I remember Sean saying he'd be here as long as Mickey was here so yesterday made me wonder if they were staggering their exits so as not to cause too much damage at once. I don't know, this departure feels less than organic to me.
At this point, I don't think we can believe either of them. No one is buying the retirement talk and everyone is assuming he'll be with another team in the next couple of years.

Payton has the clout to make just about any demand he wants to his new team . If Payton says I want loomis I’m sure the new team will accommodate that .
I would not support that accommodation because not every NFL team would do that for Payton.

For example Dallas wouldn't because Jerry wants to retain total control over his team. He didn't give Parcells complete control.

What if he's done coaching and we can bring him back in an administrative role, president of football operations type of gig?

Loomis is president of two major sport franchises in the NBA and NFL. He could keep the NBA team president job if he left, but it’d be a logistic inconvenience for him and he’d need that same control in a new NFL team.

A new NFL team for ML would only be for a handful of years or less contingent upon Payton retiring. After Payton retires with another team, their FO may want a new GM at some point, unless Loomis and Payton created a dynasty with them. Makes way more sense for Loomis to stay where he’s firmly in control of two teams’ FOs until he’s no longer physically able to.

A GM would have to hire SP. How could SP then have them fired and then hire Loomis!??!

It makes more sense that Loomis moves on somewhere else and then taps Payton to get out of retirement.
THIS - how would that even work? "yes, i'll take the job but only if you fire yourself and hire Loomis?!?"

If the owner of said franchise fired the GM & the head coach (ala Benson firing Ditka & Kuharich), he could then potentially offer Payton & Loomis a job together, but as said, why would Loomis leave here?

Wherever Payton goes, he will demand a big say in personnel moves, if not final say. Jerrah would probably agree to that just to get him signed, then after the first playoff loss, would hold a press conference live on NFL network announcing he's taking over all personnel decisions moving forward. Hard for me to envision that relationship working.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom