Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Who cares

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's a question that has GOT to be asked.

If McCain were president today, would we be better or worse off?

If so, how?
If not, then would it be the same or worse?

Economically, we have high unemployment, general malaise, low interest rates, a decent stock market, cheap dollar etc.
Politically, we're about as divided as I've ever seen it. The Dems would likely still hold the house and Senate. Would the November elections still favor Repubs?
You can bet Healthcare would not be a top issue.
How would he have handled the Spill?
What would be happening in Iraq, Afghan or Iran?

MamaSaint

Rickey Jackson - 2010 HOF (RIP Jan)
Reaction score
Since you are asking rhetorical questions which could never possibly be answered with any certainty....

He could have died of a heart attack from the stress of the job and Palin would be President. I shudder to think where we would be now.

Jan

daybreaker

STH since 2006
Reaction score
Would the November elections still favor Repubs?
Probably, and by just as much as it does now. Considering in 2008 you were already hearing "The economic crash isnt our fault- Democrats control Congress!", with even *more* Democratic senators and the economy still lagging, theyd still get voted out.

You can bet Healthcare would not be a top issue.
Nope. Idont know what McCain's top issue would have been. Economy? He wouldnt have passed the Stimulus (which was 50% tax cuts)... Maybe he's have done one huge tax cut? And no doubt all the people screaming about "huge" deficits right now would have said "Tax cuts are a very sensible move- the increased deficit now will pay off later"

How would he have handled the Spill?
The only thing I think that would have been different is the moratorium.

In the beginning days of the explosion, the law stated BP had jurisdiction over the scene, being their accident. Even 3 days after the explosion, they were telling the Coast Guard there was no leak. Then the 4th day it was 1k barrels, then on the 5th day the Coast Guard bumped it up to 5k barrels/day.

Given that even around 4 days after the explosion, BP was still saying there was no leak, the government really had no reason to be sending tons of cleanup supplies down there.

But then on the 4th and 5th days, thats when the "Obama's Katrina" stories were already coming out. So this may be partisan of me, but I think the "slow response" complaints might have *some* legitimacy but are largely part of an early spin campaign.

McCain would have done nothing different in the beginning, because of the info coming from BP, and the law stating it's BP's problem, and because of "limited government interaction in private business". This was a private business's accident, so it was their responsibility.

So I think the response would have taken just as long to get going. And around Week 2 we'd have been seeing "McCain's Katrina" stories.

Maybe he would have approved the sand berms right away, but all that would have done was show us that "Hey, maybe we *should* be listening to the experts when they stuff like this wont work" a few weeks earlier.

So there would still be oil in the marshes, and it still wouldnt have been capped until when it was. Only difference = no moratorium.

What would be happening in Iraq, Afghan or Iran?
I think we'd be more involved in Iraq than we are now, and still too deeply entangled in Afghanistan to have hope of leaving soon. So, worse.

Basically, I think we'd be worse off. The spill still would have happened. I think we'd be in worse shape in the middle east, and HCR would have never even been brought up, and despite the bill's MANY flaws, I believe it was an important and necessary step in the right direction.

This is also all assuming McCain didnt have an "accident" leading to President Palin by now. Because had *that* happened, we'd be really screwed.

4saintspirit

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Define better -- he would have gone in a different direction -- if you support the health care and financial reform bills then no he wouldnt be better -- if you dont then he would

If you are asking about the oil spill or economy -- it all depends -- IMO he would have been better for the oil spill but only because he probably would have accepted the help of the foreign governments earlier then Obama did and not accept the enviornmentalists arguments about some of Jindal's proposals -- and he would not be pushing for the drilling moratorium -- but if you lean more towards the environmentalist point of view then you wouldnt think so --

Economy -- same -- he would have gone about solving it in a different manner -- honestly I think maybe we would be a little better off because the business community may not be as hesitant to act because of fear that Obama's policies will negatively affect them in the future -- but thats just pure speculation -- its probably more accurate to say that its just going to take time to turn the economy around

OP
OP
You

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are asking rhetorical questions which could never possibly be answered with any certainty....

He could have died of a heart attack from the stress of the job and Palin would be President. I shudder to think where we would be now.

Jan
I'd rather not get into a death scenario. I know Palin is a hot button issue but lets leave that for another thread.
Okay?

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
I'd rather not get into a death scenario. I know Palin is a hot button issue but lets leave that for another thread.
Okay?
Why? I was undecided about who to vote for until McCain nominated her, so I think it belongs in the discussion. You betcha!!

Saintshizzle

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Okay?
It's all part of this hypothetical that you started. These are all things that voters think about when they pull a lever.

OP
OP
You

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't about Palin and it's not about Biden.
It's about McCain and Obama.

Would McCain be any better?
I guess the guage of what "Better" would be manifested in the Political climate and economic atmosphere. I can't think of other areas where we as Americans can guage our confidence but perhaps there are others....

inetnawlins

SAVE NOLA
Reaction score
Most of it has already been said. But one thing that would be different is McCain wouldn't have gotten the $20 billion from BP. No way he takes them to the woodshed like Obama did. The flip side of that is there wouldn't be a moratorium, either.

BlackendNutria

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I wonder if McCain would have sued AZ, not sure as the Bush admin did sue states over similar items. When someone becomes Pres they do funny things to protect the power of the branch.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
I don't think McCain would have been better, he would have been different.

Would McCain have littered the federal buracracy with so many soicalists? No.

Would McCain have more less been a lot like George Bush? Probably

Would McCain have stood up to the Pelsoi/Reed agenda. Maybe

so as i think McCain might have done less damage to the country then Obama is doing, i don't think the country would nesscessarily have been better off if McCain had been elected. thats why i didn't vote for him.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Jan

What is different about your ideology and Palin's ideology? What are you for/against that Palin differs on?

McCain would be much better than Obama, which isn't saying a lot. At least he wouldn't have looted the nation.

Yoweigh

is not a rookie
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
McCain would be much better than Obama, which isn't saying a lot. At least he wouldn't have looted the nation.
You do a whole lot of this stating opinion as fact thing. McCain may have been a much better than Obama, but you just plain don't know. He may have not looted the nation, but you don't know that either.

What are the good things about Palin's ideology? What is she for/against? "Liberty" and "freedom" are not acceptable answers. She stands for ignorance, in my opinion.

MamaSaint

Rickey Jackson - 2010 HOF (RIP Jan)
Reaction score
What is different about your ideology and Palin's ideology? What are you for/against that Palin differs on?

Her ideology has nothing to do with my dislike & utter contempt for her. She is ignorant. She is a small-time corrupt politician who couldn't even serve out a whole term as governor of Alaska. She is an opportunistic small town small-minded woman who wants to make some quick bucks. She loves the attention but would be way over her head/intelligence level very quickly in a real national crisis. That folksy BS only goes so far.

Jan

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Her ideology has nothing to do with my dislike & utter contempt for her. She is ignorant. She is a small-time corrupt politician who couldn't even serve out a whole term as governor of Alaska. She is an opportunistic small town small-minded woman who wants to make some quick bucks. She loves the attention but would be way over her head/intelligence level very quickly in a real national crisis. That folksy BS only goes so far.

Jan
/endspalindiscussioninthisthread

Now for McCain, we would have attacked Iran for the BP spill following the GWB doctrine :hihi:. We would be so far entrenched in both Iraq & Afgahnistan that we would never ever get out while at the same time ignoring Pakistan. Disdain between the US and the Middle East would be boiling up to a point of all out WW3 levels. And finally the economy, of course their would have been another stimulus package because it was a necessary evil. On the flip side though, the Tea Party would be non-existant so it wouldn't be completly horrible.

Hypothectically speaking, of course!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mdharper Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 38

Headlines

Top Bottom