Would Richard Seymore Be Worth a Look? (2 Viewers)

Would he really be any better than Kenyon Coleman at this point? I'm inclined to say "pass" and save the cap space for next season.

Kenyan Coleman has been a marginal starter his entire career and is now washed up - simply cheap depth. Coleman has 13.5 career sacks over 11 seasons and is 34 years old.

Seymour had 18.5 sacks the past 3.5 years (IR halfway through last year) on a terrible Oakland Raiders squad (57.5 career sacks). He was not that long ago viewed as hands down the best defensive lineman in the NFL and traded for a 1st round pick. He clearly is not the elite game changer he once was. However, at 33 is not finished. I think he'd be great as starter at RDE with Cam Jordan opposite learning the position from a hall of famer and Jenkins, Hicks or Bunkley at NT. The reason Seymour is still out there is because he is asking for significant money, but his price tag will come down.

We've had some poor luck with big name end of career vets, e.g. Dan Morgan (friggin twice) and Olin Kreutz.

Don't forget Darren Sharper. He was an unmitigated disaster...............

You guys sure he played in rr's system in Oakland? Not sure the timing works out there.

I would love him to teach Hicks and Jenkins the tricks of the trade

We can't afford any more free agents right now. We need to sign our rookies and stash the little extra away.

Is punching a QB part of the game?

I would b elated if I saw Will Smith ATLEAST punch a QB. I mean for God sake man do sumthin to him LOL

Anyway, Seymour's situation in Oakland was rather strange. Apparently he graded out pretty good during his time there but judging from the Raiders message boards, those fans still think he's done n couldnt wait to see him gone. Am I missing sumthin about him or what? I dunno

Anyway, Seymour's situation in Oakland was rather strange. Apparently he graded out pretty good during his time there but judging from the Raiders message boards, those fans still think he's done n couldnt wait to see him gone. Am I missing sumthin about him or what? I dunno

Vikings fans said Tyrell Johnson would be a significant upgrade over departed free agent Darren Sharper

Would he really be any better than Kenyon Coleman at this point? I'm inclined to say "pass" and save the cap space for next season. We've had some poor luck with big name end of career vets, e.g. Dan Morgan (friggin twice) and Olin Kreutz.

Good thought though.
Darren Sharper disagrees with this post.

Is punching a QB part of the game?

Ok, first of all, it wasn't even a "punch." His hand was open. It was more like a shove that happened to land in Ben's facemask area. Secondly, Big Ben instigated it and thirdly, I'd like to see that kind of fire out of a defensive leader when your team is getting trampled on a la Kyle Turley protecting his quarterback.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HKQfvkFIqLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree. A 1yr. contract for vet minimum. That way if he doesn't perform we won't lose much if we cut him. I really think he could still be pretty good. He probablly still remembers what to do in RR's scheme that he played in for a couple of years in Oakland.

Rob Ryan moved on to Cleveland the same year Seymour arrived in Oakland (RR was linebackers coach in NE for Seymour's first three years in the league though). I don't doubt for a second that RR had a lot to do with the trade before he left. His high praise of Seymour is probably what pushed the Raiders to ultimately give up a first rounder for him. Richard Seymour was the best player on those New England championship defenses. He's the one that created all the problems for the offenses. NE's defense hasn't been the same without him. Vince Wilfork has been a great player for them, but he's not nearly the player Seymour was. He's one of the most underrated defensive players, much less linemen, in the past decade or so.

I think the only reason he's not a Saint already is that we can't afford him (right now). If he lowers his asking price, I don't see why we wouldn't jump all over it.

You guys would rather have Kenyon Coleman than Seymour??? There is a reason why Coleman has been a career backup. How many people on here watch football outside of the Saints?

Its a no brainier if Seymour is lowering his price tag we should get him. I think he is better than Will Smith especially with this fit in a 3-4 defense.

You guys would rather have Kenyon Coleman than Seymour??? There is a reason why Coleman has been a career backup. How many people on here watch football outside of the Saints?

Its a no brainier if Seymour is lowering his price tag we should get him. I think he is better than Will Smith especially with this fit in a 3-4 defense.

I thought Coleman was starting for the cowgals last season b4 getting injured. Not to say that Id rather him over Seymour. Just sayin though

I'd take Seymour over Coleman in a heart beat. But production isn't why Coleman is the better signing.

Rob needs people familiar with his system, so that these vets can show the rest of the team what they're suppose to do in Rob's system. Coleman's signing is to help Jordan, Hicks etc on the dline adjust to the new scheme faster by SEEING what Coleman does. This gives the guys adjusting a visualization so they can adjust faster.

Leonard is the same signing for our safeties. Lewis is also in a way. Hes a visualization of press coverage. The difference between Lewis though vs the other signings, is Lewis is an excellent talent that will push for a starting job (and likely win)

Our linebackers will have the hardest time adjusting, as none of them are familiar with Robs scheme, nor do they have anyone to watch for visualization. Vitt has to know what Rob wants and coach it to them, which makes me very nervous. I don't expect our linebackers to excel.

you people throwing out vet min. you do realize, that the vet min. scales with years in the league.. his vet min. is more than we have.

Our linebackers will have the hardest time adjusting, as none of them are familiar with Robs scheme, nor do they have anyone to watch for visualization. Vitt has to know what Rob wants and coach it to them, which makes me very nervous. I don't expect our linebackers to excel.

Victor Butler disagrees with you.

you people throwing out vet min. you do realize, that the vet min. scales with years in the league.. his vet min. is more than we have.

on the other hand, i believe only a certain portion of the contract actually counts against cap space. I think at his level it would be something just under $1M but only count like 600K against the cap. That said, i think he'll get a more than minimum deal from someone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom