Would the Presence of Kwon Alexander Hinder the Growth of the Younger LBs? (1 Viewer)

There has been a growing sentiment that Kwon could just be in the way when it comes to the development of the young linebackers that we have. Any thoughts?
What sentiment?
He possesses skills that are rare in this league. Just look at the difference between an anzalone and a Kwon. It’s staggering.

young guys will only get better competing against him

On the cheap he'd be worth it. However, his body isn't up to a 16 plus game season. So at some point young guys would have to contribute. IMO hes just another Kiko Alonso.

There has been a growing sentiment that Kwon could just be in the way when it comes to the development of the young linebackers that we have. Any thoughts?
We have young LB’s that are worth passing on a stud like Kwon? No? Didn’t think so. Sign him

Lol growing sentiment? We find out two days ago that the guy is coming in for a visit and now there's growing sentiment that he might hinder the development of our young LBs? Would buying a ribeye hinder the development of your 60/40 ground beef in a tube? No. You'll still be able to make your Hamburger Helper later but tonight you can fry a steak. Or grill it. Or broil it. Just however you want to cook it. It's up to you but it's hard to beat a good fried steak in butter and garlic.

This is an idea that you just made up in your mind and then slapped "growing sentiment" on it. I love it! I'm going to start throwing around that phrase. On here and in real life.

^ i'd say everyone else has covered it pretty well. but i'll add one thought....when is the last time we "developed" a young LBer into a solid starter? Other than Winifred Tubbs (Ditka era), might have to go back to the Dome Patrol era. Other than the Dome Patrol, our best LBers were poached or traded from other rosters.

In the CSP era....Mark Simoneau, Scott Fujita, Scott Shanle (say what you want, won a SB with him), Johnathan Vilma, Demario Davis, Kwon Alexander...all came from somewhere else first. So while I'd LOVE to see some of our young LBers develop, it hasn't really happened in the past 20 years. Until it does, LB talent has to come from somewhere else, because we haven't developed it from the draft or UDFA.

Kwon is like a Terron Armstead of LBers. So good, you HAVE to sign him and start him; but not durable enough to rely on. Difference is, we've got an extensive history of developing young OL into stars. Until we can do that with LBers, the younger LBers will get meaningful game reps in between Kwon's injuries.

If he's an option, sign Kwon.

Lol growing sentiment? We find out two days ago that the guy is coming in for a visit and now there's growing sentiment that he might hinder the development of our young LBs? Would buying a ribeye hinder the development of your 60/40 ground beef in a tube? No. You'll still be able to make your Hamburger Helper later but tonight you can fry a steak. Or grill it. Or broil it. Just however you want to cook it. It's up to you but it's hard to beat a good fried steak in butter and garlic.

This is an idea that you just made up in your mind and then slapped "growing sentiment" on it. I love it! I'm going to start throwing around that phrase. On here and in real life.
Love the sarcasm.

The Growth of young linebackers? We haven't been able to coach up a single LB that we have drafted. I'd rather have a proven LB on the team even though he's injury prone.

It seems like being under Sean Payton’s Saints coaching staff (minus two M. Nolan years) is more of hinderance for LB growth.

I had voiced some concerns. It has nothing to do with Kwon he makes us a better defense right away.

For me it was more about the bigger picture. We have two LBs that we invested draft picks in over the last two years. I'm not trying to say they are better options, but you can't have a stud at every position given our cap situation.

My biggest concern here is how does this fit in with us being able to extend other important players. Our LT, our pro bowl CB, our starting FS. We don't know what the cap will look like in 2022, but its going to be tough to get under while also keeping 2/3 of those guys.

For the 3 games Kwon's healthy, you mean?

*I actually really did like Kwon as a player last year, but he was flagged as an injury risk when we traded for him and then he suffered a serious injury within a few weeks of us acquiring him, so I don't think we can honestly expect him to have a full healthy season.

^ i'd say everyone else has covered it pretty well. but i'll add one thought....when is the last time we "developed" a young LBer into a solid starter? Other than Winifred Tubbs (Ditka era), might have to go back to the Dome Patrol era. Other than the Dome Patrol, our best LBers were poached or traded from other rosters.

In the CSP era....Mark Simoneau, Scott Fujita, Scott Shanle (say what you want, won a SB with him), Johnathan Vilma, Demario Davis, Kwon Alexander...all came from somewhere else first. So while I'd LOVE to see some of our young LBers develop, it hasn't really happened in the past 20 years. Until it does, LB talent has to come from somewhere else, because we haven't developed it from the draft or UDFA.

Kwon is like a Terron Armstead of LBers. So good, you HAVE to sign him and start him; but not durable enough to rely on. Difference is, we've got an extensive history of developing young OL into stars. Until we can do that with LBers, the younger LBers will get meaningful game reps in between Kwon's injuries.

If he's an option, sign Kwon.

AJ Klein was also legit for the Saints as well, he came from Carolina.

To OP, this is a bad and ridiculous take. A healthy Kwon would put a lot less stress on the rookies to need to perform at a high level immediately. Did Alex Smith hinder the growth of Patrick Mahomes?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom