Would the Saints and 49ers do this Draft Day Trade? (1 Viewer)

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
According to the draft value chart the saints 15th overall pick is worth 1,050 points

Now i've come up with 3 trades and am curious which one would u like, and which one do u think is possible? The 49ers have 12 picks and will not use them all and will be looking to definitely trade up since they are only a key player or 2 away from a Super Bowl:

Trade 1:
Pick 31(600) Pick 34(560) = 1,160
The Saints get a 110 point advantage but when a team is trading up usually they have to sacrifice a little. This gives the Saints a late 1st round pick and the 2nd overall pick of the 2nd round.

Trade 2:
Pick 31(600) Pick 61(292) Pick 74(220) = 1,112
The Saints get a 62 point advantage, this gives the Saints a late 1st round pick, a late 2nd round pick and an early-mid 3rd round pick.

Trade 3:
Pick 34(560) Pick 61(292) Pick 74(220) = 1,072
The Saints get a 22 point advantage, this gives the Saints the 2nd overall pick of the 2nd round, a late 2nd round pick and an early-mid 3rd round pick.

The 49ers would push for Trade #3 but the most probable trade would be Trade #2

In trade #1 we would then have a late 1st round pick, an early second round pick, and a mid 3rd round picks

In trade #2 we would then have a late 1st round pick, a late 2nd round pick, and 2 mid 3rd round picks

In trade #3 we would then have an early 2nd, a late second, and 2 mid 3rd round picks.

I think Trade #2 is most likely and we could come away with a draft of okafor or jamie collins - olb, dallas thomas - LT, brandon williams - NT and akeem spence - DE.

What do yall think?

Two is probably the best trade, one would be ok though.

According to the draft value chart the saints 15th overall pick is worth 1,050 points

Now i've come up with 3 trades and am curious which one would u like, and which one do u think is possible? The 49ers have 12 picks and will not use them all and will be looking to definitely trade up since they are only a key player or 2 away from a Super Bowl:

Trade 1:
The Saints get a 110 point advantage but when a team is trading up usually they have to sacrifice a little. This gives the Saints a late 1st round pick and the 2nd overall pick of the 2nd round.

Trade 2:
The Saints get a 62 point advantage, this gives the Saints a late 1st round pick, a late 2nd round pick and an early-mid 3rd round pick.

Trade 3:
The Saints get a 22 point advantage, this gives the Saints the 2nd overall pick of the 2nd round, a late 2nd round pick and an early-mid 3rd round pick.

In trade #1 we would then have a late 1st round pick, an early second round pick, and a mid 3rd round picks

In trade #2 we would then have a late 1st round pick, a late 2nd round pick, and 2 mid 3rd round picks

In trade #3 we would then have an early 2nd, a late second, and 2 mid 3rd round picks.

I think Trade #2 is most likely and we could come away with a draft of okafor or jamie collins - olb, dallas thomas - LT, brandon williams - NT and akeem spence - DE.

What do yall think?

I too would prefer "Trade # 2". That would give us a shot at a player like LB-Jaimie Collins, or LB- Kevin Minter, in the second round either OT Menelik ? from FSU, OT- Hill from LA Tech, 3rd round quality players to fill DL and if we're lucky Safety-Jonathan Cyprien. I think for the secondary we will sign Nmadi Aso. This trade could fill the needs for our team nicely.

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Trade 3:

What do yall think?

I think it's a great idea. Make it happen Loomis!

Im not sure there will be anyone worth trading up for this year at #15, especially for the 9ers.

I can however, see them trading up into the top 10 for Star Lotelelei to groom behind Justin Smith.

All 3 are good options, but I don't know if I'd make that trade with the niners. They're our biggest competition right now to make the Super Bowl so I wouldn't want to help to them by any means. That one player they're trading up for could be the reason we don't make it if we faced off against them at some point or the reason they would have an advantage against us, record wise , in the standings during the regular season

There's 3 other teams that doesn't affect our playoff implications and deep with draft picks to a make deal with us.. Cincinnati, Minnesota and Miami.
Cincinnati - picks 21, 37, 53, 84, 118
Miami - picks 12, 42, 54, 77, 82, 111
Minnesota - picks 23, 25, 52, 83, 102, 120

Those teams may want to use all of their picks to get as many quality players as possible to rebuild, but I think one of them should be willing to trade up. Miami probably would be my best choice since they have two 2nd's and two 3rd's we can possibly acquire, along with a future pick from them. Minny's two 1st rounders for #15 would be a great deal as well if they decided to go after Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson

I'm thinking some WR starved team may want to jump ahead of the Rams at #16 to grab Tavon Austin. Which means they'd have to deal with us at #15. :ezbill:

Minny and Miami (if they go in a different direction at 12) both fit that description. The Bengals rarely, and I mean rarely, ever trade up.

Last edited:
I always thought we should strongly consider trading down from our 1st every year the same way the Patriots are always stacked with picks every draft and deep with depth on their roster. Especially when we're short on picks like we are now. It seems as if we've been forcing a selection and taking a player just to be doing so just because it's a need. That has us reaching and end up constantly saying player X is a bust or an average player that didn't live up to their draft spot

For example, when we drafted Malcolm Jenkins in '09. We were ridiculously short on draft picks that year by only having a 1st, two 4ths, and a 7th and that draft was deep with talented LB's and DB's throughout the first couple of rounds. Something should've clicked inside of the minds of the scout dpt that since we dont have many picks we should trade. Yet we felt compelled to take Jenkins at that spot just because it was a need. We could've traded down with Cleveland at 21st and 36th or with the Pats because they were unbelievably deep with 2nd rounders at picks 34, 40, 41, and 58.. four frickin 2nd rounders!! The players that were still available around those 6 slots were Percy Harvin (22nd), Vontae Davis (25th), Clay Mathews (26th), Patrick Chung (who the Pats took at 34th), James Laurinaitis (35th), Rey Maualuga (38th), Jairus Byrd (42nd), Sebastian Vollmer (Pats pick at 58th), and Sean Smith (61st). Who knows how good our defense could be right now and the direction we could've went in the draft this year or even the direction in the drafts of '10, '11, and '12 if we would've just explored trading down with those teams during that year

The same can be said about the selections we made on Sedrick Ellis, Patrick Robinson, and Meachem. We didn't have many draft picks to work with during those years either and there were many other great players selected late in their rounds and the following round just like in the draft we took Jenkins. If the same problem continues to occur consistently for almost a decade in regards to the bad decision making with our 1st rounders, somebody in the draft group should be able to realize that a new approach should be taken. Outside of Cam Jordan, we haven't had a 1st round pick to pan out since we took Will Smith in '04. And that was mostly due to luck that we were able to select Jordan because he was regarded as a top 10-15 pick that ended up falling. I don't know what it is about our FO and not wanting to trade out the 1st round slot and gain more picks

I always thought we should strongly consider trading down from our 1st every year the same way the Patriots are always stacked with picks every draft and deep with depth on their roster. Especially when we're short on picks like we are now. It seems as if we've been forcing a selection and taking a player just to be doing so just because it's a need. That has us reaching and end up constantly saying player X is a bust or an average player that didn't live up to their draft spot

For example, when we drafted Malcolm Jenkins in '09. We were ridiculously short on draft picks that year by only having a 1st, two 4ths, and a 7th and that draft was deep with talented LB's and DB's throughout the first couple of rounds. Something should've clicked inside of the minds of the scout dpt that since we dont have many picks we should trade. Yet we felt compelled to take Jenkins at that spot just because it was a need. We could've traded down with Cleveland at 21st and 36th or with the Pats because they were unbelievably deep with 2nd rounders at picks 34, 40, 41, and 58.. four frickin 2nd rounders!! The players that were still available around those 6 slots were Percy Harvin (22nd), Vontae Davis (25th), Clay Mathews (26th), Patrick Chung (who the Pats took at 34th), James Laurinaitis (35th), Rey Maualuga (38th), Jairus Byrd (42nd), Sebastian Vollmer (Pats pick at 58th), and Sean Smith (61st). Who knows how good our defense could be right now and the direction we could've went in the draft this year or even the direction in the drafts of '10, '11, and '12 if we just would've just explored trading down with those teams during that year

The same can be said about the selections we made on Sedrick Ellis, Patrick Robinson, and Meachem. We didn't have many draft picks to work with during those years either and there were many other great players selected late in their rounds and the following round just like in the draft we took Jenkins. If the same problem continues to occur consistently for almost a decade in regards to the bad decision making with our 1st rounders, somebody in the draft group should be able to realize that a new approach should be taken. Outside of Cam Jordan, we haven't had a 1st round pick to pan out since we took Will Smith in '04. I don't know what it is about our FO and not wanting to trade out the 1st round slot and gain more picks

What makes you so sure they didn't try to trade down? Just because one team wants to doesn't mean that another team wants to move up. They may have felt they could get what they want sitting where they are at.

The best thing that could happen to the 49ers is for them to have to make all those draft picks. No way will 14 or 15 draft picks make their team, they would have to cut most of them. We can line up and take a few of their castoffs for free. If they don't get trade partners to give some of those picks away, they will have wasted draft picks. I hate the 49ers!!!!

What makes you so sure they didn't try to trade down? Just because one team wants to doesn't mean that another team wants to move up. They may have felt they could get what they want sitting where they are at.

We haven't traded down once in the 1st under Loomis/SP in the 6 drafts that we had a 1st so if it's safe to say we haven't seriously attempted to. On average 12 teams have selected after us in the 1st in those drafts, I'm sure a few have been interested in moving up. Then when you see a lot of other teams trading down and gaining picks year after year, it just doesn't add up. If the reason is because they've been content with who they were able to get sitting at the current spot and you look at the results of each player we've taken in the 1st by sitting at the current spot for 4 seasons, as well as comparing those players to the talented players that were constantly taken after them that we could've selected by trading down all those years, then someone in our scouting department has been doing an extremely poor job at evaluating early round talent for 4 straight drafts

The best thing that could happen to the 49ers is for them to have to make all those draft picks. No way will 14 or 15 draft picks make their team, they would have to cut most of them. We can line up and take a few of their castoffs for free. If they don't get trade partners to give some of those picks away, they will have wasted draft picks. I hate the 49ers!!!!

I agree completely, although that was not what the OP asked. I think all three choices are equally bad, considering the Saints past few drafts of defensive players.

Im not sure there will be anyone worth trading up for this year at #15, especially for the 9ers.

I can however, see them trading up into the top 10 for Star Lotelelei to groom behind Justin Smith.

The Cowboys seem to be extremely interested in Kenny Vacarro and most draft boards I've seen have him slotted right around our pick. However, the Rams definitely need a safety and they pick right after us. So, perhaps the Cowboys would like to trade up to our spot.

For example, when we drafted Malcolm Jenkins in '09. We were ridiculously short on draft picks that year by only having a 1st, two 4ths, and a 7th and that draft was deep with talented LB's and DB's throughout the first couple of rounds. Something should've clicked inside of the minds of the scout dpt that since we dont have many picks we should trade. Yet we felt compelled to take Jenkins at that spot just because it was a need. We could've traded down with Cleveland at 21st and 36th or with the Pats because they were unbelievably deep with 2nd rounders at picks 34, 40, 41, and 58.. four frickin 2nd rounders!! The players that were still available around those 6 slots were Percy Harvin (22nd), Vontae Davis (25th), Clay Mathews (26th), Patrick Chung (who the Pats took at 34th), James Laurinaitis (35th), Rey Maualuga (38th), Jairus Byrd (42nd), Sebastian Vollmer (Pats pick at 58th), and Sean Smith (61st). Who knows how good our defense could be right now and the direction we could've went in the draft this year or even the direction in the drafts of '10, '11, and '12 if we would've just explored trading down with those teams during that year

The same can be said about the selections we made on Sedrick Ellis, Patrick Robinson, and Meachem. We didn't have many draft picks to work with during those years either and there were many other great players selected late in their rounds and the following round just like in the draft we took Jenkins. If the same problem continues to occur consistently for almost a decade in regards to the bad decision making with our 1st rounders, somebody in the draft group should be able to realize that a new approach should be taken. Outside of Cam Jordan, we haven't had a 1st round pick to pan out since we took Will Smith in '04. And that was mostly due to luck that we were able to select Jordan because he was regarded as a top 10-15 pick that ended up falling. I don't know what it is about our FO and not wanting to trade out the 1st round slot and gain more picks

Hindsight is always 20/20. How were we to know the guys you listed would end up this good and Jenkins wouldn't live up to expectations?

But remember, Jenkins was part of our SB winning team and so if we didn't draft him it could have set off a whole chain of events and we don't end up winning it all, so I'm pretty happy with the choice we made.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom