Would this game have been different with Winston? (1 Viewer)

BelowZero

Professional Troll
Reaction score
If you give Winston the same amount of practice and gameplanning Brees is given, this game is most likely a blowout. GB didn't really play all that well, and despite the defensive struggles, had consecutives stops for the offense. Harris and Sanders were WIDE open on just the two plays they showed the viewers (there were probably quite a few) and he didn't pull the trigger. Winston would have, and he has the arm to get it there. Instead, we got yet another checkdown to Kamara (I'm sticking my foot in my mouth about paying him at this point. Dude is unbelievable, and pretty much singlehandedly willed the offense to two touchdowns.). The fact a little under half of your total passing yardage came from Kamara himself is telling. His inability (or whatever is causing it) to push the ball downfield is crippling this offense, and DC's are seeing it. Bringing your secondary up and attacking whatever's right in front of you is an easy job for a defender. "But we still moved the ball, right?" No. Kamara did with some marginal help from Sanders. Brees looks good on paper with 29/36 for 288, but just how many of those are checkdowns/behind the LOS? Probably most of them, and teams just aren't threatened by that.

As much crap as he gets for his interceptions, Winston still had 30 TD's and 5,000 yards. He's not afraid to attack a secondary or throw the ball over a receivers head and give him the chance to catch up to it. He will hit an opening if there is one, especially with the time this OL gives QB's to throw. Hypothetical of course, but if Winston is able to score on the consecutive drives after those stops, the defense can pin their ears back and put the pressure on Rodgers. They were built to play with a lead, which is why they're struggling now. Add in some of the most clearly biased officiating I've seen in a while, and you get this result.

I think the conversation/discussion for playing Winston is fair at this point, especially after seeing this offense consistently wasting talent by tossing the ball five yards behind the first down marker and hoping Kamara can make a play out of it.

We can only go by what we know of Winston. So with that, would we chuck the ball a lot more successfully? Absolutely. Would he be as careful with the ball as Drew? Likely not.

But generally, it's unfair to guess what Winston would look like because we have yet to see how he looks with Payton's coaching.

Does he play defense?

That's like asking in a 13-10 loss you think we would have won had Lattimore suited up?

Do you people not understand where the problem lies?

Should Bridgewater have started in the 48-46 loss to the 49ers last year?

Well I think we can sort of agree on that we are luck we have Kamara. That dink pass to him from Bress was all Kamara. We have to admit that since Brees doesn't have the arm strength, defenses can sit a little more flat than usual since we don't have the threat to throw deep. Even if we had players like Tyreke Hill and Tyler Lockett, Brees wouldn't be able to hit them deep in stride. We have to rely more than ever on broken tackles, busted coverages and good play designs to get things going. So whoever our next QB is, at least the deep threat will be there again.

agreed that jameis should be the clear backup for disaster recovery

at quarterback, obvious taysom is very obvious and will get us nowhere (regardless of tonight's mishap)

winston knows how to win and should be able to thrive in a payton-customized offense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom