Would Winston be willing to take another prove it contract? (1 Viewer)

You just said that the 4 game skid was better than a period we were 4-2. And look at the potential greatness that is occurring in a once in generational talent in Jacksonville. We will blame it on coaching/culture (rightfully so) but it's funny how that notion isn't present in every situation. We got a QB that was coached by Lovie Smith (who stopped caring), Dirk Koetter (whose last job saw him getting ran out of Atlanta), and being thrown to the fire in an offense that has a history of kicking up turnovers in the first year. Even this year, more time was spent criticizing his play instead of looking at personnel, and even so, many casuals ignore the fact that he was highly ranked by most advanced metrics and even with limited throws, at the time of his injury, was top 10 in TD passes. Truth is, we don't know what we have in Jameis and anyone claiming otherwise is lying to themselves.

OK, I appreciate your (and others’) analysis of his potential. That’s more work and thought than I’m willing or able to offer on the matter. I’ll stand down.

I would think a 2-3 year deal with decent guaranteed money and some good playing incentives would bring him back, then after that contract if he’s played up to it we may finally be out of the salary cap hell and can offer him a fitting contract.

The more I read this thread more I wonder what the purpose behind the Hill deal was. Maybe not knowing when Winston will be back they want to make sure they have TH signed so they at least have one on the roster. Just like Alexander this year the saints will not sign Winston until he is 💯 and they would be foolish if they did.

You can also look at it as they plan on going after a higher priced QB at the end of the year in free agency so the Hill deal isn’t that big. And maybe they realize that Winston will have teams chasing him and know they can’t win a bidding war.

Worst case or best case depending your wants scenario they are planning to go with Book and know that Winston won’t be a backup but wanted to lock in Hill for the role.

Regardless it doesn’t seem good for Winston at this point I guess.

Winston will re-up with the Saints for at least another year deal two at the most. He was improving under Payton's mentoring but got injured before his sample size got to large to overshadow his Tampa mystique. His open market options are limited.

The more I read this thread more I wonder what the purpose behind the Hill deal was. Maybe not knowing when Winston will be back they want to make sure they have TH signed so they at least have one on the roster. Just like Alexander this year the saints will not sign Winston until he is 💯 and they would be foolish if they did.

You can also look at it as they plan on going after a higher priced QB at the end of the year in free agency so the Hill deal isn’t that big. And maybe they realize that Winston will have teams chasing him and know they can’t win a bidding war.

Worst case or best case depending your wants scenario they are planning to go with Book and know that Winston won’t be a backup but wanted to lock in Hill for the role.

In my opinion a salary cap move. Hill was set to count $8.9 mil in a dead cap hit for 2022 and now I believe his cap hit after new contract is about $5 mil. Why pay $8.9 mil for not having the coaches pet leave versus keeping.

In my opinion a salary cap move. Hill was set to count $8.9 mil in a dead cap hit for 2022 and now I believe his cap hit after new contract is about $5 mil. Why pay $8.9 mil for not having the coaches pet leave versus keeping.
I wouldn’t call him the coaches pet, it’s a back handed insult. Hill is a great football player and is an asset to the team. You
Can disagree on how much he should get paid but you can’t on what the coaches, players and front office believe he means to the team. He may fill in at QB and do a great job or he may be replaced by Book, we know he will give it 110%. You are a HUGE Winston fan and that could be getting in your way of seeing that. TS and JW stats weren’t very different, the play of the D was different. Of course I think JW is a much better QB but our offense has been bad regardless the QB this year.

I wouldn’t call him the coaches pet, it’s a back handed insult. Hill is a great football player and is an asset to the team. You
Can disagree on how much he should get paid but you can’t on what the coaches, players and front office believe he means to the team. He may fill in at QB and do a great job or he may be replaced by Book, we know he will give it 110%. You are a HUGE Winston fan and that could be getting in your way of seeing that. TS and JW stats weren’t very different, the play of the D was different. Of course I think JW is a much better QB but our offense has been bad regardless the QB this year.
Before games were over due to being 3 scores down very much a difference between TS and JW.
TS only able to pad stats after opposing defense's go into prevent mode.
JW able to produce and score while the Saints are still in a position to win.

Yes Hill is a great football player. but is not on the field enough in my opinion to justify what he has been paid thus far in his Saint's career. I still do not believe any team would have paid Hill what his next contract was for.

I’ve be accused of worse for the same thing. Some just love Winston so much that they can’t even think to put the team first. They are willing to settle for mediocrity to give him a chance for multiple years.

IMO, we have no QBs on the roster that deserve the job without having to compete with some fresh faces first. And if the question of QB is looming this large during this season in looking into the next, it’s proof enough to me that the QB question isn’t answered by anyone on the current roster and we should be looking under every stone to find one.
Some just dislike Winston so much that they can’t even think to put the team first. They are willing to settle for mediocrity rather than Winston being on the team.

Two different injuries. A lot of QBs come back from ACL surgery, and people keep forgetting we signed Drew coming off shoulder surgery. So Sean is going to right by everyone else but play hardball with a guy that's done everything he's asked for 2 years.

After they restructure $9M of his salary next year his cap it will be $5.125M

OK, I appreciate your (and others’) analysis of his potential. That’s more work and thought than I’m willing or able to offer on the matter. I’ll stand down.
This is how you gracefully bow out of a discussion where you may have been wrong rather than doubling down on being wrong and clearly demonstrating stupidity. Bravo @whodatsaint

Wrong! He had offers smh. Reports came out he turned down better offers but it was starting spots on horrible teams. If he would have went there, played bad… Game over for him.
Care to prove it, where he had better offers? Source, please.

Problem is that there aren't any high dollar free agent QBs that'll be available after this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom