Would Winston be willing to take another prove it contract? (1 Viewer)

Before games were over due to being 3 scores down very much a difference between TS and JW.
TS only able to pad stats after opposing defense's go into prevent mode.
JW able to produce and score while the Saints are still in a position to win.

Yes Hill is a great football player. but is not on the field enough in my opinion to justify what he has been paid thus far in his Saint's career. I still do not believe any team would have paid Hill what his next contract was for.

This is why stats don't tell the whole story. TS stats are highly padded by garbage time.

he won't have a choice

he didn't do enough to show other teams to take a chance on him with a considerable contract

he's coming off an ACL

not many choices for JW moving forward
Come on man. An ACL isn't anything anymore. Who doesn't come back from an ACL these days? When he is healthy, he will get 27,28 mill a year. He was 5-2 w/ 14TDs with only 3 ints, in 7 games, He put up 5 TDs against GB, 4 were red zone TDs, 2 of those TDs were from 10yds out. Then put up 4 TDs againest the WFT. He beat GB, and the Patts. GMs are not sleeping on Jameis.

Come on man. An ACL isn't anything anymore. Who doesn't come back from an ACL these days? When he is healthy, he will get 27,28 mill a year. He was 5-2 w/ 14TDs with only 3 ints, in 7 games, He put up 5 TDs against GB, 4 were red zone TDs, 2 of those TDs were from 10yds out. Then put up 4 TDs againest the WFT. He beat GB, and the Patts. GMs are not sleeping on Jameis.
I think this is the bigger issue , JW would be foolish to sign a 1 yr deal the reality is we have zero leverage and we don’t have a supporting cast to make a 1 yr deal mean anything for either us our JW , JW already did his prove it deal , sat behind Drew, had the off-season with the workout videos etc that shows he wants to be great and had a good start of season on a team that is no good especially at the WR position - the collapse after he was hurt amplified how valuable he was even though we have more injuries now

Long term deal could be too costly for us to lock him up and add talent considering our current cap

I’m expecting another bad year after this one with an off-season of adding WR and sadly OL

I have no idea why Sean signed Hill mid season, but it wasn't to play QB next yr. So, now we have less money to sign Winston, and even less $$$ to sign FA QBs. Trevor, Book, and Taysom is what we will go with at QB next year. As soon as the ink was dry on Taysom Hills contract, Jameis was gone pecan. And who could blame him.

Did Sean address his injury and his status as starter next yr? No. Did Sean sign his starting QB Winston coming out of camp? No. because, as I have said all season Winston was never in Sean's future plans going forward. I will say this is I don't think Sean really expected Winston to play so well with out real weapons at TE and WR. The Saints are not a bad team, but a team with a lot of holes to fill.

How many players coming off of an ACL injury are paid more than guys who aren’t?
Let's see, Brady had one, Burrow had one last year. Dak messed up his ankle and still signed a record deal. Oh ya, there was one guy that signed a big deal coming off an injury to his throwing shoulder (I forget his name). Stop making excuses, you either want the guy back or you don't. The doctors can evaluate his condition in a couple of months and if everything checks out you do the deal. The bigger issue is you're paying a guy to be a backup QB who really isn't a QB.

Let's see, Brady had one, Burrow had one last year. Dak messed up his ankle and still signed a record deal. Oh ya, there was one guy that signed a big deal coming off an injury to his throwing shoulder (I forget his name). Stop making excuses, you either want the guy back or you don't. The doctors can evaluate his condition in a couple of months and if everything checks out you do the deal. The bigger issue is you're paying a guy to be a backup QB who really isn't a QB.
Is Jameis Tom Brady? Is Jameis Joe Burrow? Is Jameis Drew Brees? These aren’t similar situations at all (well I guess the Brees one is given they were free agents in the year they were injured).

I have no problem having Winston back if he is clear to play. You pay him what the market dictates (with perhaps a bump for goodwill purposes), but If he isn’t clear before training camp starts you have to take that into account when extending that contract.

Is Jameis Tom Brady? Is Jameis Joe Burrow? Is Jameis Drew Brees? These aren’t similar situations at all (well I guess the Brees one is given they were free agents in the year they were injured).

I have no problem having Winston back if he is clear to play. You pay him what the market dictates (with perhaps a bump for goodwill purposes), but If he isn’t clear before training camp starts you have to take that into account when extending that contract.
I was responding to your comment that you can't sign a guy coming off an injury. Was Drew Drew when we signed him? The point is that if you believe in a guy and the doctors sign off, you sign him. It's not that complicated but you missed that part.

I was responding to your comment that you can't sign a guy coming off an injury. Was Drew Drew when we signed him? The point is that if you believe in a guy and the doctors sign off, you sign him. It's not that complicated but you missed that part.
My pardon, when you mentioned Burrow and Brady (who weren’t being signed when they came back from injury) it threw me off.

I agree, sign him if the doctors give him a clean bill of health (if they don’t, then don’t). I’d imagine if we are talking about a Drew Brees type deal, you are offering him one at a tier like when Brees originally signed here, and not like the past few years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom