Would you go to a hologram concert? (1 Viewer)

Would you go to a hologram concert?

• Yes

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Never

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Depends on whose hologram

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
I’d maybe do a VR concert at home

maybe

This just reminded me that I have Dream Theater's Live At Luna Park in 360 degree VR. There are 6 different camera angles and you can move your head in 360 degrees and see it. It's like being at the concert. I also got the deluxe edition of Luna Park which means I have a poster with everyone's name that got the deluxe version on it with the cover pretty much. I decided to not put Scorpius on their and use my real name. Edit: name is Steven Biggs sorted by first name.IMAG1467.jpg

Last edited:
Whitney Houston’s hologram concert starts next week
====================

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) — Whitney Houston is about to appear on the concert stage again.
Eight years after her death, a holographic Houston will embark on a European tour that starts in England on Feb. 25 and runs through early April, with U.S. dates expected to follow.

“Now is just the right time,” said Pat Houston, the singer’s sister-in-law, former manager and the executor of her estate, which is producing the show in collaboration with BASE Hologram. “In the spirit of Whitney, I know we’re doing all the right things right now.”

Last week, a few dozen members of the media were given a dress-rehearsal preview in Burbank, California of most of “An Evening With Whitney: The Whitney Houston Hologram Tour,” which features a Houston projected onto a nearly invisible scrim on a stage with real dancers and a live backing band..........

the only thing I don't understand is if you were going to have a hologram concert for MJ why not center it on his good music like Thriller or Off the Wall. Even Bad. Anything beyond that would not be appealing to me.

The caramel hair was as perfect as remembered. The rhythmic moves were as graceful as they are in our mind’s eye. And when those signature melismas of “I Will Always Love You” began, it was impossible not to be transported to the spot again — that spot, the plane of transcendent Zen only a handful of singers have ever taken us.

Whitney Houston was back.
It's just that she was a hologram.

The Grammy-winning legend died more than nine years ago. But beginning this week in Las Vegas, Houston took the stage with a complement of breathing performers, shimmying and shimmering — and of course singing some of the most famous pop songs of all time in “An Evening With Whitney,” a live concert with a Houston hologram.

This is what Pat Houston, her sister-in-law and manager, wants; this is what a company known as BASE Hologram, run by the former Clear Channel executive Brian Becker, wants.

Soon enough, we will find out if this is what America wants — whether we crave Houston in colorful regalia on a buzzing stage, delighting audiences as she did so often when she was alive, ascending us to new heights of afterlife performance, or, maybe, just plummeting us straight into the uncanny valley.

The show in many ways shatters the norms of techno-illusion. A two-minute deep fake is one thing. The dead dancing for us is another.

“I don’t see it as resurrecting the dead but as celebrating a life,” said Becker last week, pushing back, a little. “We want to build a great live show around her.”
The “live show” is made up of a four-piece band and four dancers.

“Her” is a computer-generated face of the singer in her prime that has been digitally grafted to an actress body-double, choreographed and shot months ago and now projected onto a scrim. Nothing on performance night can go wrong…….

Just over 41 years ago, Abba played their last concert together. It wasn’t a live show for salivating fans, but a short set for Swedish TV. A highlight was their recent hit Super Trouper, a song about the sad, endless grind of being on tour.

“All I do is eat and sleep and sing / Wishing every show was the last show,” sang Agnetha Fältskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad, their voices still gorgeous together. The lyrics go on: “Facing 20,000 of your friends, how can anyone be so lonely?”

Fast forward to 2022, and on 27 May Abba begin seven months of gigs in a purpose-built London arena. Or rather their “Abbatars” are playing there, digital versions of the band created through cutting-edge motion capture technology.

Now in their 70s, the band were physically involved in the development of their space-age alter egos. Clips of them covered in sensors went viral after the tour announcement last September, but the Abbatars are eerily de-aged, preserved in their late 1970s pop prime.

As a lifelong Abba fan, although not an uncritical one, I’ve not yet bought tickets. I’m struggling with the idea of a band playing live without actually being there. I’m also worried that it wouldn’t move me, which would feel slightly disastrous, because of the emotional moments I associate with their songs…….

….The result is both high tech and high camp, a glittery supernova of stupefying technology, 1970s nostalgia and pop music genius.

For many in the audience, it was almost like being taken back in time to watch ABBA perform classics including “Mamma Mia,” “Knowing Me, Knowing You,” “SOS” and “Dancing Queen.” The peppy 90-minute set also includes tracks from “Voyage,” the reunion album the band released last year.

It’s a fusion of tribute act and 3D concert movie that transcends that description. At times it was possible to forget this wasn’t a live performance, though when the backing singers stepped forward to belt out “Does Your Mother Know,” a surge of live-music energy shot through the arena…..

….The result is both high tech and high camp, a glittery supernova of stupefying technology, 1970s nostalgia and pop music genius.

For many in the audience, it was almost like being taken back in time to watch ABBA perform classics including “Mamma Mia,” “Knowing Me, Knowing You,” “SOS” and “Dancing Queen.” The peppy 90-minute set also includes tracks from “Voyage,” the reunion album the band released last year.

It’s a fusion of tribute act and 3D concert movie that transcends that description. At times it was possible to forget this wasn’t a live performance, though when the backing singers stepped forward to belt out “Does Your Mother Know,” a surge of live-music energy shot through the arena…..

Let’s face it, lots of people pay good money all the time to watch a 2+ hour movie that is loaded with CGI visuals & make-believe settings. I’ve watched documentary concerts of some old bands that I never got to see perform in person. Why would it be any less interesting/entertaining if it was in a 3D setting on a stage? I can think of several bands that I would enjoy watching in a format similar to the ABBA show. I suspect we will see more concert recreations of other groups in the future if this ABBA show does well financially.

I wouldn’t even send a hologram of myself to a hologram concert.

Do the holograms have to resume paying dues to the musician’s union? Do they have to pay income taxes? If so, can they pay it in Crypto?

I’m going to be in London this summer and I’m considering going to this. Tickets are expensive though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom