Would you like to see this guy on defense for the Saints (1 Viewer)

Chris Jones is a free agent. I’m not sure of his status (restricted or non restricted) so I hope someone can add that. The kid is a stud and I personally would love to see us grab him. If there are reasons we shouldn’t go after him please enlighten me.
Is he from the Chiefs? Now is injured. Looks like a good potential talent to Add to the Saints Defense

Chris Jones is going to sign a contract that breaks numbers. We can't afford him but I would absolutely love to have him. He is one of the best young defensive linemen in the game. He has 33 career sacks in 41 career starts, he also bats a bunch of passes down. I think he has the potential to have a few JJ Watt type dominant seasons over the next few years, he is that good. I also think he is best suited as a 3-4 DE but so talented that you could line him up at any position on the defensive line.

He's the 2nd best Interior DL from a pressure causing standpoint on Quarterbacks behind Aaron Donald.. he will sign a mega contract that will be out of the Saints price range.

I do think pressure from the 3-tech spot is an unmentioned need for the Saints, after Rankins went down there was almost no interior push coming up the middle. Onyemetta, Brown, and Tuttle fit more of the run stuffer molds. Who even knows about Rankins' health going forward after two major foot injuries. Quick, penetrating 3-tech will have to be addressed somewhere this off season.

Onyemetta, Brown, and Tuttle fit more of the run stuffer molds
I'm not disputing that the interior pass rush hurts badly when Rankins is out, but Onyemata is his primary backup at 3-T in the rotation. He's not really a run stuffer like the other two you mentioned.

I will say this, if you pair Jones up with Jordan and a healthy Davenport then we would have the most dominant defense in the NFL. In the event that Brees doesn't return (which I think is near 0 chance) then I could see the Saints making a play for him. He checks all the boxes the Saints like in big time free agent signings, big, athletic, versatile and just hitting his prime.

I also think when you sign a guy to a contract like that it rarely ever pays off but we are at least somewhat protected with the cheap depth we have on the roster. I just think the money would be better spent getting a WR2 and resigning players we already have. If we were to pull the trigger though it would likely be a 6-7 year deal with the most guaranteed money of any defensive player in the league. It's just going to cost that much and the only way it's even feasible is if we spread it over a 6-7 year period and hope inflation outruns the contract value.

I'm not disputing that the interior pass rush hurts badly when Rankins is out, but Onyemata is his primary backup at 3-T in the rotation. He's not really a run stuffer like the other two you mentioned.
Yes he's the primary back-up 3-tech; but he didn't provide much QB pressure at all when we need it down the stretch.

since the San Francisco game where both Rankins, and Davenport went out.

Onyemeta recorded:
0 sacks
2 QB Hits
Low QB Pressure rate

his strengths lie as a run first player, very inconsistent providing interior pass rush.. Saints can improve at the 3 tech position; because they already have a bunch of "Nose" run stuffer players on their roster.

Chris Jones is a free agent. I’m not sure of his status (restricted or non restricted) so I hope someone can add that. The kid is a stud and I personally would love to see us grab him. If there are reasons we shouldn’t go after him please enlighten me.

Absolutely

If there was some way we could land Chris Jones, it would be huge

It would also soften the blow a lot if we had to let Onyematta go.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints give it a go.

He is an Elite DT who can the play the 1 or 3, and is probably the best pure pass rushing DT in the league not named Aaron Donald

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom