Would you make this trade for Nnamdi Asomugha? (2 Viewers)

Would you make this trade for Nnamdi Asomugha?

• Yes! Both teams benefit and it is not too high of a price for Asomugha!

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Yeah, but I wouldn't give up that much.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • No! You're an idiot!

Votes: 45 33.3%

• Total voters
Not just no, but Hell no.

I do not want to see Samuel, Trufant nor Asomugha anywhere near the Saints facility... that money could be spent better elsewhere, and bring in far more players to a defense that needs a lot of them.
This has been our problem on defense for a long time now. All we ever do is bring a 3 or 4 average players that we can afford and our defense is still suspect every year. If we bring in 1 or 2 playmakers and pay them like playmakers, it'll make the other 9 or 10 guys on defense better. If it takes Will Smith an extra second to get a sack then we need a corner to cover his man for an extra second and then all of the sudden Will Smith is a Probowler. This works the other way around too. Basically having great players on defense will make the rest of the players better.

If Gibbs knows that with McKenzie and Samuel/Trufant/Asomoghue are his corners, he can leave them in single coverage and blitz more often which results in more pressure which results in better coverage which results in more time to pressure which results in better coverage ....
It's a giant circle and we need to add the big piece to connect it. The Giants had it on their D-line. We need to get it in the secondary cause our D-line will be fine.

Samuel without the 1st is prefferable, but the Saints need to make a big move and statement at the CB position.

I would survive if this trade went through but I would prefer a 2nd instead of a 3rd.

just to put some $$$ to the 10th draft pick, last year's 10th overall pick signed a 6 yr 15.4 million dollar contract with $12.75 million guaranteed.

I see alot of people on here saying we should stay away form high priced free agents on defense. Guess what we've gone that route for the past 10 years or so and guess what we've ended up witht? A defense that can't make a play or a stop when it matters. Face it we don't really have enough or possibly any playmakers on our defense to make a difference in the out come of games.

The way I look at it our offense is good enough to win a Superbowl right now. The window for winning a championship is only about 3-4 years. What will our offense be like 2-3 years from now? I'll gladly mortgage the future for a championship defense today. We've all seen rough times for the Saints but one thing we've never seen is the promised land. For that I say do what ever it takes to get this team a Lombardi trophy.

I would do this deal if that's the way the cards were dealt. I mean, Asomogha is the closest thing we would get to a true shutdown corner.

Team's gameplan to combat him. Imagine that, a team gameplanning to combat a Saints defender, not to target them!

That is something we could use. If, though, Mike is not healthy, and we end up with Jason David, or Usama starting, I say no. We all know what happened when Jason David was in this year. Imagine having another CB which teams fear, so they always go towards David. I also think being targeted that much would hamper Usama's developement.

Asomugha fits us the best out of any of the upper echelon CBs out there, but I don't know if he would stick unless we got a pass rush going and gave him some support.

This has been our problem on defense for a long time now. All we ever do is bring a 3 or 4 average players that we can afford and our defense is still suspect every year. If we bring in 1 or 2 playmakers and pay them like playmakers, it'll make the other 9 or 10 guys on defense better. If it takes Will Smith an extra second to get a sack then we need a corner to cover his man for an extra second and then all of the sudden Will Smith is a Probowler. This works the other way around too. Basically having great players on defense will make the rest of the players better.

If Gibbs knows that with McKenzie and Samuel/Trufant/Asomoghue are his corners, he can leave them in single coverage and blitz more often which results in more pressure which results in better coverage which results in more time to pressure which results in better coverage ....
It's a giant circle and we need to add the big piece to connect it. The Giants had it on their D-line. We need to get it in the secondary cause our D-line will be fine.

No, it hasn't been, because when the Saints had top level defenses, you had very poor corners on the edge (unless one wants to argue that Toi Cook, Robert Massey, Reggie Jones, Kevin Mathis, Fred Weary, Fred Thomas, et al were really top flight corners), but we were able to shut down high powered passing games with a great pass rush.

Again, I don't care who you have back there, if the quarterback has time, he'll pick you apart. I'd spend the big money on D-linemen and linebackers, not corners.

You bring up the Giants success against the Patriots... none of those corners were particularly good or strong... the difference was they went after Brady. San Diego, with a better secondary than the Giants, watched Tom Brady pick them apart (despite forcing three intereceptions) because they couldn't generate a pass rush.

Will Smith and Charles Grant both will be better players by freeing them from the double teams by having guys inside tying up the blockers. They will be better players by forcing teams to go max protect to better match up against a strong front four.

With great corners, quarterbacks will change to quick drops and short passes underneath bleeding you slowly to death as opposed to the quick strike. Having a great front four/seven will force quarterbacks to gamble by disrupting the "slow bleed."

I like my chances there as opposed to constant check downs and 3rd down conversions.

if we get briggs and/or corey williams in FA then DO IT

HELL YEAH! This is too easy. A 1st round pick for Asomugha would be a steal. Asomugha is still a young player, and developing into a shutdown corner. There are no better defensive players in the draft than Asoumugha, expect Ellis and Dorsey. The only way I would not make this trade is if Ellis or Dorsey are still available at 10, which is highly unlikely.

how do you pronounce this guys name?

could yall imagine how ppl on this site would spell his name? people cant even get payton and meachem right!

Nahm-dee Ah-so-mu-wah, although some pronounce it Ah-so-mwa.

:worthy: :worthy: finally something that makes sense!

No, it hasn't been, because when the Saints had top level defenses, you had very poor corners on the edge (unless one wants to argue that Toi Cook, Robert Massey, Reggie Jones, Kevin Mathis, Fred Weary, Fred Thomas, et al were really top flight corners), but we were able to shut down high powered passing games with a great pass rush.

Again, I don't care who you have back there, if the quarterback has time, he'll pick you apart. I'd spend the big money on D-linemen and linebackers, not corners.

You bring up the Giants success against the Patriots... none of those corners were particularly good or strong... the difference was they went after Brady. San Diego, with a better secondary than the Giants, watched Tom Brady pick them apart (despite forcing three intereceptions) because they couldn't generate a pass rush.

Will Smith and Charles Grant both will be better players by freeing them from the double teams by having guys inside tying up the blockers. They will be better players by forcing teams to go max protect to better match up against a strong front four.

With great corners, quarterbacks will change to quick drops and short passes underneath bleeding you slowly to death as opposed to the quick strike. Having a great front four/seven will force quarterbacks to gamble by disrupting the "slow bleed."

I like my chances there as opposed to constant check downs and 3rd down conversions.

are u freeking serious? chargers no pass rush? did u see the game? the ONLY reason the chargers did not win is because they couldnt score touchdowns in the redzone. the defense played great.

trading our first pick for the guy is a no-no. as great as he is it just makes no sense. our best bet is to hope he hits the open market the we can try to sign him and keep our pick. but lets say we make this trade happen......we lose a top ten pick and we still have to sign this guy to a longterm contract imo thats too much......even if he is the "number 1" cornerback in the league. champ is stiill the champ. namdi is number 2!!!!

Isnt he a free agent? Placing the franchise tag on him would require us to part with 2 first round picks, not gonna happen.

Just because they franchise him, doesn't mean we have to give up two first round picks. They can make us, but a lot of times teams work out a trade fairly. The year that Buffalo fanchised Pearless Price, the falcons I believe only gave up one first round pick for him.

Right now, I believe that Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB in the NFL. I would love to have him. But I am not a huge fan of giving up first round draft choices, particularly when there are other CBs like Asante Samuel available in free agency. And Trufant could be available. I would rather hedge my bets with one of them and still end up with a guy like Sedrick Ellis or Keith Rivers than to only land Asomugha and still have other glaring holes on defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom