Would you make this trade for Nnamdi Asomugha? (1 Viewer)

Would you make this trade for Nnamdi Asomugha?

• Yes! Both teams benefit and it is not too high of a price for Asomugha!

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Yeah, but I wouldn't give up that much.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • No! You're an idiot!

Votes: 45 33.3%

• Total voters

BoroSaint

Bring the Wood!!!!!
Reaction score
So here is my trade proposal:

We send the Raiders the #10 pick.

The Raiders send us Nnamdi Asomugha and their 3rd round pick (will fall between #s 68 and 70)

I ask this question because (a)the Raiders will put the franchise tag on Nnamdi and (b)he would fit our defense better than Samuel or Trufant. Think about it, Asomugha would be more of a difference-maker on our defense than any player available in the draft. We would still have a very early pick in round 2 to get a DT or LB.

This trade would value Asomugha as the #15 pick in the draft(our pick is worth 1300 points and their 3rd round pick would be worth around 250 - the 15th pick is valued at 1050 points), which I think is good value for the Raiders. Would you guys make this trade? I don’t see why we couldn’t do it. We wouldn’t even actually lose any draft picks because we would pick up their 3rd rounder.

Isnt he a free agent? Placing the franchise tag on him would require us to part with 2 first round picks, not gonna happen.

If we sign him to an offer sheet we give up 2 first rounders, but the Raiders can still work out a trade for different compensation if they want.

We are not the Redskins, those draft picks are more valuable than these "Hot" free agents....we shouldnt feel so desperate for a corner that we will trade a very high pick in which we can draft a corner, instead trade a top ten pick then pay a guy top 3 money, hoping that he will perform as well in our defensive system as he did in his previoius teams system......yeah that worked out well for the Redskins.....

Yeah, we give up our 1st round pick and pay some CB 100 million dollars. Just what we need. That 1st round pick is much more valuable then the "who's hot this year" FA.

I would make this move. We're not going to get a CB at #10 that would have the immediate impact that this dude would. Also, we should be able to address our LB needs in round 2 with Lofton or Mayo since this is a pretty deep draft for LB.

Asomugha is well worth the 10th pick of the draft, if when picking the saints would not find better options, giving up such a high pick for a proven commodity wouldn't be that bad.

But I would not see this happening:

a) Why the raiders will also send a third for us? I think getting just a first for him is to cheap. Even I think he is such a commodity for the raiders to let him go at any price.

b) Asomugha will command a the highest salary for any corner in the league, he may be the highest paid defensive player in the league at the time he signs his second contract. I don't think the saints want to commit on such a high contract, specially when soon we will be re-signing Evans, Colston and Smith.

Not considering the money it would take to get him or another top CB, I'd do it.

I'm still sticking to my gameplan of getting a top FA CB and getting a DT/LB in the 2nd round especially since the draft is deep at LB. Now, if it does cost us a #10 and a 3rd, that just might be too much considering the needs on D.

Would we be able to get enough out of the draft after this trade? I'm not sure. Maybe a FA DT would make it all worth while.

FA CB
FA DT

Then draft some LBs wherever possible.

Not just no, but Hell no.

I do not want to see Samuel, Trufant nor Asomugha anywhere near the Saints facility... that money could be spent better elsewhere, and bring in far more players to a defense that needs a lot of them.

We would not be making this move just to make a splash. We are in pretty desperate need of a #1 CB right now because of the fact that McKenzie may not be ready at the beginning of the 2008 season. Asomugha is a proven commodity and is just about as close as you can get to a shut down corner. The guy is still very young (26 years old – only a year younger than Aaron Ross was last year when he was drafted) and the fact is that there is no corner in the draft (or free agency for that matter) that possesses his skill set. I understand we would have to pay a high price for him (with both the #10 pick and a new contract), but he is exactly what this defense needs at the cornerback position.

We would not be making this move just to make a splash. We are in pretty desperate need of a #1 CB right now because of the fact that McKenzie may not be ready at the beginning of the 2008 season. Asomugha is a proven commodity and is just about as close as you can get to a shut down corner. The guy is still very young (26 years old – only a year younger than Aaron Ross was last year when he was drafted) and the fact is that there is no corner in the draft (or free agency for that matter) that possesses his skill set. I understand we would have to pay a high price for him (with both the #10 pick and a new contract), but he is exactly what this defense needs at the cornerback position.

I think the Saints D needs all the top round picks it can get....keep the pick and take a top defensive talent with it , & then go out and find some top defensive free agents. Giving up that pick would hurt......

Not just no, but Hell no.

I do not want to see Samuel, Trufant nor Asomugha anywhere near the Saints facility... that money could be spent better elsewhere, and bring in far more players to a defense that needs a lot of them.

Honestly, I completely see where you are coming from and I agree, but I don't agree.:ezbill:

If we keep going on cheaper "project" players hoping for one of them to pay off, then we'll be forever repeating the same mistakes. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and pull the trigger on a big timer.

I am surely not basing any move on our cap space nor the next round of shoring up our current FAs, I just think that we need to throw some money at a CB or DT that will not need to be addressed again for quite some time.

If we keep going on cheaper "project" players hoping for one of them to pay off, then we'll be forever repeating the same mistakes. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and pull the trigger on a big timer.

Look at our FA history the past 10 years. The only big name FA who has "worked out" for us is Drew Brees. Every other big name FA we've brought in has failed. Likewise, the cheaper project players have been the only ones to actually work out for us.

I would prefer Nnamdi Asomugha to Asante Samuel but I don't think the difference between the 2 corners is worth surrendering our 10th overall pick for

Asante Samuel with huge conract is preferable to Asomugha with huge contact and no 1st round pick

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom