Would you make this trade for Nnamdi Asomugha? (1 Viewer)

Would you make this trade for Nnamdi Asomugha?

• Yes! Both teams benefit and it is not too high of a price for Asomugha!

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Yeah, but I wouldn't give up that much.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • No! You're an idiot!

Votes: 45 33.3%

• Total voters
Honestly, I completely see where you are coming from and I agree, but I don't agree.:ezbill:

If we keep going on cheaper "project" players hoping for one of them to pay off, then we'll be forever repeating the same mistakes. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and pull the trigger on a big timer.

I am surely not basing any move on our cap space nor the next round of shoring up our current FAs, I just think that we need to throw some money at a CB or DT that will not need to be addressed again for quite some time.

And I understand that, but to me the key is rebuilding the front seven, and worry about the secondary later.

Prior to Nate Clemmets' contract, I would have been willing to spend the money to sign someone like a Trufant (who needs safety help to make him a great player), but none of these players are really worth that kind of money.

I would rather see them go after a little known player who fits the man cover scheme the Saints employ -sort of a young Al Harris.

But the big money I want spent on defensive tackles and linebackers to generate pressure on quarterbacks.

Look at our FA history the past 10 years. The only big name FA who has "worked out" for us is Drew Brees. Every other big name FA we've brought in has failed. Likewise, the cheaper project players have been the only ones to actually work out for us.

Look at our coaches and staff in those 10 yrs.:covri:

I'm hoping this group can be just a bit more productive in choosing the right FAs (I know....Simmons, David, KK :covri: )

for those who are against this, do you really think we could get anyone with our #10 pick as valuable as asomugha? who? he's a young, talented, *starting* CB well worth a 1st round pick... frankly i don't think the raiders would make a trade like this, asomugha is too valuable

I would. He's the best CB in the league. The best player in the league at the CB position is DEFINITELY worth the #10 pick in the draft. He would cut the field in half and our safeties would be inmuch better position to make up for their deficincies.

And I understand that, but to me the key is rebuilding the front seven, and worry about the secondary later.

Prior to Nate Clemmets' contract, I would have been willing to spend the money to sign someone like a Trufant (who needs safety help to make him a great player), but none of these players are really worth that kind of money.

I would rather see them go after a little known player who fits the man cover scheme the Saints employ -sort of a young Al Harris.

But the big money I want spent on defensive tackles and linebackers to generate pressure on quarterbacks.

I won't argue that either. I have been a major supporter of getting the front 7 fixed first. As said before, a QB can't find the open guy or get off an accurate pass if he doesn't have the time we allowed them last year. That does need to be seriously addressed. Afterall, the Giants DBs aren't all that but they looked better than advertised because of that front 7.

My only reservation to addressing the front 7 first and foremost is that a solid MAN coverage CB would be an instant (hopefully) upgrade and we wouldn't need to worry about that for quite sometime. I know MM is getting older, but Young should be able to take over when MM graduates from football.

Whether you want to spend big money on a FA corner or not, this trade makes no sense. We could spend all that money on Asante or Trufant and not have to give up our 1st round pick. Essentially we're accomplishing getting the big, expensive free agent corner, but we're trading a 1st for a 3rd. It makes no sense.

BTW, this is assuming we are not able to land Asante Samuel and that the Raiders franchise Nnamdi. As much as I would prefer Asomugha, I would rather get Samuel and not have to give up a pick just like everyone else on this board.

Look at our FA history the past 10 years. The only big name FA who has "worked out" for us is Drew Brees. Every other big name FA we've brought in has failed. Likewise, the cheaper project players have been the only ones to actually work out for us.

I think that depends greatly on what you mean by "working out" and what you mean by "big name"

Certainly Dale Carter and T$Jones did not work out, but I think we got at least one goood year out of:
Drew Brees
Mike McKenzie
Joe Horn
Eric Allen
Jerry Fontenot
Ashley Ambrose
Jeff Blake
La'Roi Glover (originaly drafted by the Raiders)
John Carney
Mitch Berger
Aaron Stecker
and Jamar Nesbit

There are deals that can be worked out... like some folks here wanted TB's 2 second rounders for Grant... it's really what you agree to. I doubt they want to get rid of him though he's too good... I think the ONLY thing that would get him out of OAK is 2 first rounders..

The best CB in the league for an unproven player? Well worth it: What are the chances that, say, Leodis McKelvin will be as good as Asomugha? Then ask yourself what the chances are that he won't?

You want to talk money? Okay, nobody would sign him to an 8 year, $80 million deal? How about 7 years, $64 million? Because that's what Clements' deal is now worth, as his final year has officially been voided. 6 years, $53.25 million? How about 5 years, $44.24 million? That's around the time that he will re-structure or be cut, so cut out all this $100 million CB bollocks, because we are nowhere even remotely close to a $100 million CB, not even close. Only the top franchise QBs are making $100 million and CB is a long way down the pecking order from a QB. Heck, we got Brees, one of the top QBs in the league, for $60 million.

So, yes, take Asomugha and pay the man. The alternative? Draft McKelvin, wait 3 years to find out find out if he's anywhere near as good as Nnamdi, then, if he is, as a result of inflation, we'll have to pay him more in 4-5 years, than Asomugha today to keep him, or we can get the best CB in the league before the market really explodes. Oh, and that's one mighty big "if". In the last 10 years, only 1 CB in the game could challenge Nnamdi for the title of best in the NFL and that's Champ Bailey.

Keep in mind, that despite having a top-flight CB (and one of the best secondaries in the league), the Raiders' record over the past 2 years has been abysmal, so a CB isn't going to fix all of our problems.

Furthermore, keep in mind that we're not going to get Asomugha anyways.

Last edited:
The best CB in the league for an unproven player? Well worth it: What are the chances that, say, Leodis McKelvin will be as good as Asomugha? Then ask yourself what the chances are that he won't?

You want to talk money? Okay, nobody would sign him to an 8 year, $80 million deal? How about 7 years, $64 million? Because that's what Clements' deal is now worth, as his final year has officially been voided. 6 years, $53.25 million? How about 5 years, $44.24 million? That's around the time that he will re-structure or be cut, so cut out all this $100 million CB bollocks, because we are nowhere even remotely close to a $100 million CB, not even close. Only the top franchise QBs are making $100 million and CB is a long way down the pecking order from a QB. Heck, we got Brees, one of the top CBs in the league, for $60 million.
So, yes, take Asomugha and pay the man. The alternative? Draft McKelvin, wait 3 years to find out find out if he's anywhere near as good as Nnamdi, then, if he is, as a result of inflation, we'll have to pay him more in 4-5 years, than Asomugha today to keep him, or we can get the best CB in the league before the market really explodes. Oh, and that's one mighty big "if". In the last 10 years, only 1 CB in the game could challenge Nnamdi for the title of best in the NFL and that's Champ Bailey.

Keep in mind, that despite having a top-flight CB (and one of the best secondaries in the league), the Raiders' record over the past 2 years has been abysmal, so a CB isn't going to fix all of our problems.

Furthermore, keep in mind that we're not going to get Asomugha anyways.

Maybe we can use Drew at CB too. :mwink:

I'm tired of the project talk at CB. Get someone to shut it down and get back to what really matters. A better front 7.

Maybe we can use Drew at CB too. :mwink:

I'm tired of the project talk at CB. Get someone to shut it down and get back to what really matters. A better front 7.

Haha, I have no idea what you're talking about. :hihi:

Yes, I agree, lock it in and work on the 7. But we won't get Nnamdi anyways, so it's pure speculation.

how do you pronounce this guys name?

could yall imagine how ppl on this site would spell his name? people cant even get payton and meachem right!

i'd rather a proven player like asomugha than a rookie who might not pan out. only problem is, the raiders wouldn't do that. they already paid jamarcus russell big money last year and they have another high pick this year. adding a top ten pick would be expensive for them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom