Poll Would you rather...(Another Hill vs. Winston thread and poll) Mod edit (1 Viewer)

Who would you rather?

• Taysom Hill playing at his full potential.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • Jameis Winston playing at his full potential.

Votes: 76 63.9%

• Total voters

The only thing Winston has proved is he is one of the Stupidest QBs to ever play in the NFL.

The Fact that 60% the majority here are ready to cast off a High Character mature role model for a lowlife who has a history of immaturity and stupid decisions no matter how questionable they are, shows a biase here. So glad none of you are running this franchise. You guys buy the hype but not the intangibles that cannot be taught.
[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I'm pretty surprised at the amount of Winston love I've seen on SR. I get that he's a Saint now, but I suspect the majority were laughing last year watching him throw ints like candy at Holloween. I've never liked him, but mostly because of serious character issues. All I can do is hope he learns and matures.

Very good post. Winston is a former Heisman, ROY and 5000 yard passer doing it with faulty eye sight and poor scheme and coaching. There is a reason he was the #1 overall pick and TH7 went undrafted. Even without his college injury history he just doesn't measure up to Winston.

Ladainian Tomlinson threw TD passes on 7 of his 11 pass attempts but I wouldn't stick him under center and expect him to read defenses like JW3. By comparison TH7 has thrown 13 passes with the Saints and completed 6, with many of those attempts coming with defenses expecting him to run.

TH7 is a 1st read / run type of QB. His physical strength is his biggest asset whereas JW has shown that he can actually read defenses from under center. This is a no brainer for me that Winston has considerably more potential than TH7.
By your logic, Winston would be better then Brady since Brady was a late round pick and not the #1 overall pick and heisman trophy winner. But wait he is considered the GOAT for some strange reason.

You know what Taysom has that Winston does not?

that burning desire to win at all cost. And a certain joy in playing the game.

i give my vote to the guy that’s been busting his butt to win for us not the guy coming on board to learn from the best and make a big payday.

Yall want to see some weird phenomenon? Peter King, (funniest name ever btw) posted to his Football morning in America Monday that he thinks "the Saints starting QB job is Taysom Hill’s to lose, when the 2021 season opens, if Brees indeed retires." Also reiterated Payton's infamous comparison to Steve Young, quote "Having had multiple conversations with Payton about his future quarterback plans, I know he believes Hill has a chance to be a Steve Young type in and out of the pocket, but until he does it, that’s all just a educated feeling for Payton. I know Payton will not stand for a quarterback who turns it over like Winston has. (Picks since 2015: Winston 88, Drew Brees 43.)"

The weird thing is, in the comments **crickets about how absolutely absurd the notion that T Hill is the heir apparent and Jameis isn't a shoe in...maybe it was the little blurb that King states having had "multiple convos" with Payton about his future qb plans lol..**crickets are deafening indeedy!

Last edited:
You know what Taysom has that Winston does not?

that burning desire to win at all cost. And a certain joy in playing the game.

i give my vote to the guy that’s been busting his butt to win for us not the guy coming on board to learn from the best and make a big payday.
Maybe in another thread what you said would apply, but here, the poll question has to do with which QB would you rather playing at their full potential. At his full potential, TH7 was an often injured UDFA QB. Winston was a #1 overall pick that just threw for 5000 yards in the NFL with eyesight problems whereas TH7 has completed 42% of his 13 passes since coming to the Saints.

TH7's full potential is as the #1 gadget player in the NFL.

The thing is that this is an opinion poll and everyone is going to have their own opinion. If your opinion is based solely on your emotions then don't expect many to take your opinion seriously when others base their opinion on measurable performance. If being a good guy was the be all to end all of being an NFL quarterback capable of running an offense, Tim Tebow would still be in the league.
The good thing about the Saints situation is that it has the potential of securing the future starting QB for the Saints in the form of a former Heisman winner, #1 overall pick, 5 year starter that just threw for 5K yards and we won't have had to trade multiple #1 picks to move up in the draft to get him. Or we could end up with a gadget player whose biggest asset is his strength and speed. This offense needs a QB that can read defenses and find the open man more than it needs an option QB.
If Winston doesn't work out, it cost the team practically nothing. If the TH7 experiment doesn't work out, then we have wasted 2 years passing on more qualified QB candidates to see if a 31 year old gadget player that has thrown a total of 11 NFL passes can suddenly learn to do in 1 year what he hasn't in 3 years; read more than his 1st route. We shall see.

Is this secretly just another "who would you rather have as the Saints starting Quarterback once Brees retires" threads?

The Saints have already invested into Hill the same time they were negotiating with Winston. If the Saints saw Winston as a possible replacement for Brees they would of invested that money into Winston. I personally think Hill has a "it" factor that has shown up when he was a starting QB at BYU and in spurts with the Saints and the Coaching staff (Sean Payton) thinks he can unlock his full potential so with that being said, I think seeing Hill at his full potential will be more beneficial for the Saints than Winston because of his overall game as a passer and runner.
Hill signed a deal to 10 mil a year for two years and has the ability to play multiple positions/role very well. The contract he signed was not the Saints committing to a quarterback. Hill is the favorite to play after Brees retires, but if Jameis improves his decision making and impresses Sean and Drew he can easily become the next QB1.

I went with Jameis because his style of play is more sustainable.

Taysom is Amazing , but lets just say that at the height of his powers he is MVP Cam Newton ...

He will break eventually playing that way.

Let's say Winston can mitigate his issues and throws at max 10 picks a year , but we get 30+ Touchdowns and 5000+ yards every year for at least the next 10 seasons.

Our odds are better with Winston being consistently healthy.

It is absolutely silly to think us fans have any idea what TH7's potential is at QB.

Here is a 3min video of every single pass attempt he has had, nowhere near enough sample size to gauge anything.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/player-hi...-pass-from-Taysom-Hill-in-under-three-minutes

So then you go to college where he threw over 1,000 passes and completed 58% for 43 TDs and 31 INTs.

After Brees retires, let's say the the proverbial light comes on for Winston, he grows up, becomes a leader, the Lasik surgery and SP's coaching make him the best he can be.

At the same time Taysom is looking better than ever, comp % in the high 60's, extending plays, running over DBs for first downs.

Both want to be starters, neither will sign to be a backup. Who would you rather?

Both factions are living in that pre-reality-check fantasy where their chosen champion is a God.

At the very least, some time in the position is needed to mature the product. Until Payton and the offensive staff can devote their full attention to the actual heir and they install the heir's playbook and they practice the heir's playbook and they gain experience in actual game play we might as well pay a Vieux Carre fortune teller to tell us what the potential of either is.

this is not a fair poll. hill has been a crucial part of our offense. we don't have a clue as to how winston will fit in.

this is not a fair poll. hill has been a crucial part of our offense. we don't have a clue as to how winston will fit in.

I think we’re talking about quarterback here. Not the joker role that Taysom has been playing.

There are too many "what ifs" for this question to have any merit. I am surprised you made it to three pages. Moreover, if you assume the "what ifs" then it is Winston. If you do not, your opinion is based on how you interpret the current facts and you ignore the "what ifs" which nullifies the point of the poll and discussion. So either this is one of the worse constructed polls or the OP is purposely trying o get even the hardest critic to admit that Winston is the better QB. I honestly do not know why people are wasting their time on this. Winston signed a 1-year deal. Hill a two-year deal. It is clear that not even the front office knows how this pans out.

You could say this is a discussion thread just for this type of discussion, but do we need multiple threads within days discussing the same talking points?

----

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom