Poll Would you rather...(Another Hill vs. Winston thread and poll) Mod edit (1 Viewer)

Who would you rather?

• Taysom Hill playing at his full potential.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • Jameis Winston playing at his full potential.

Votes: 76 63.9%

• Total voters
So we've established that Winston makes poor decisions with the football. You, being an absolute stalwart of intellectual honesty and critical thinking, then, would have to admit that a player who had a 70% worse TD:INT ratio than Winston, when comparing on a level playing field, is an absolutely terrible quarterback.

Right?

Wrong? No Idea where your stat comes from or who you are referring to. If this is another Taysom dig then I'll remind you that Taysom's role to date is not to do Drew. The lack of passing attempts is immaterial. The passes he has been asked to throw are those that drew can't make. Punt fakes, 55 yards in the air bombs, RPO's. Thes are lower percentage plays by design.

When Drew hangs it up Taysom will get assigned all the other passes; till then there is no reason to take those away from Drew.

You mock Taysom's college play but the only fair way to compare Taysom and Jameis is to swap teams and see how each did with the other's coaches, team mates, and opponents. Since that is impossible we do the best we can to adjust for the uncontrolled variables and try to isolate the actual skill. It is all a coach can do.

Do you think Jameis would have been drafted #1 if he had lead BUY those years? How about Taysom QBing Florida State. Think maybe he would have fared better with that talent around him?

Still curious to hear your Football Curriculum Vitae?

One player alone doesn't win games. If that were the case then Drew Brees would have more than one Super Bowl. Tampa had a horrible O-line, no running game, and no secondary. He must've been a good leader since his former teammates are still going to bat for him. How do we know if Taysom is such a great leader? When has he ever led a team?

Set Taysom aside for the moment. Is Jameis Winston really your 1st choice to be the Face of the Saint for the next 10-12 years? No other prospect you'd rather go with?

People can change and we should all strive to forgive but until I see Winston express sincere remorse and take some responsibility for his past actions, I'm not inclined to forgive or forget.

Just wanna leave a quote from Jeff Ireland concerning Jameis Winston:

”He's got tremendous arm talent, we know that," said Saints assistant general manager/college scouting director Jeff Ireland. "He's an unbelievable competitor. He can make every throw that's known to football. ...

"When you're playing against Jameis Winston, you've got to be prepared for everything because as long as you have a few weapons on the outside, on the inside, he's going to find them. He's always intriguing. He was the No. 1 pick in the draft for a reason.

"When we talked about him internally, we felt like, 'Gosh, if we could get this guy under our coaching staff, learning from (quarterback coach) Joe Lombardi, from (offensive coordinator) Pete Carmichael, from Sean Payton, and then him being able to watch Drew Brees about how he approaches the game, we felt like his growth would be incredible

"His humility to kind of take a step back and understand this, even intrigued us more. Because it takes a big man to say, 'Hey, look, I need to learn a little bit more, and I'm going to take the opportunity to learn from some of the best.' That's not always easy for someone to do. So that intrigued us even more.

"I know Sean is in love with the prospect. Having a strong quarterback room – it's the most important position in football. Having someone with his experience and his arm talent and his competitiveness, and he's 26 years old – he's got a lot of football left in him. So we felt like this would be a good opportunity. And who knows how long Drew is going to play again? So, having someone that we can develop and groom, along with Taysom, was an important decision for our football team."

Sounds like the Saints have major plans for Jameis in the future

www.neworleanssaints.com/news/jameis-winston-finds-fit-looking-to-serve-with-new-orleans-saints

”He's got tremendous arm talent, we know that," said Saints assistant general manager/college scouting director Jeff Ireland. "He's an unbelievable competitor. He can make every throw that's known to football. ...

"When you're playing against Jameis Winston, you've got to be prepared for everything because as long as you have a few weapons on the outside, on the inside, he's going to find them. He's always intriguing. He was the No. 1 pick in the draft for a reason.

"When we talked about him internally, we felt like, 'Gosh, if we could get this guy under our coaching staff, learning from (quarterback coach) Joe Lombardi, from (offensive coordinator) Pete Carmichael, from Sean Payton, and then him being able to watch Drew Brees about how he approaches the game, we felt like his growth would be incredible

"His humility to kind of take a step back and understand this, even intrigued us more. Because it takes a big man to say, 'Hey, look, I need to learn a little bit more, and I'm going to take the opportunity to learn from some of the best.' That's not always easy for someone to do. So that intrigued us even more.

"I know Sean is in love with the prospect. Having a strong quarterback room – it's the most important position in football. Having someone with his experience and his arm talent and his competitiveness, and he's 26 years old – he's got a lot of football left in him. So we felt like this would be a good opportunity. And who knows how long Drew is going to play again? So, having someone that we can develop and groom, along with Taysom, was an important decision for our football team."

www.neworleanssaints.com/news/jameis-winston-finds-fit-looking-to-serve-with-new-orleans-saints

Reading Ireland’s quote sounds like Winston will be the successor. If coaching improves him to the point where he looks like the #1 pick he was drafted to be, then honestly there’s no way Winston doesn’t become the new starting QB unless he’s flipped for multi early round picks.

Just keep paying TH7 like an elite premium all-purpose player and I think they can coexist together. If it’s about being in position to win Super Bowls together long term then really there’s no need to force a hand at playing QB

Set Taysom aside for the moment. Is Jameis Winston really your 1st choice to be the Face of the Saint for the next 10-12 years? No other prospect you'd rather go with?

People can change and we should all strive to forgive but until I see Winston express sincere remorse and take some responsibility for his past actions, I'm not inclined to forgive or forget.

Out of what we have to choose from YES. Why not have a guy that has thrown for 5,000+ yards and over 30 TD's without the guidance of Sean Payton. Football is football and what a man does in his personal life is his business. I just want him to keep his nose clean while he's a Saint. The problem with entertainment today is that we get too invested in everyone's personal lives. All I care about is cheering on my team. I'm not a judge, I wasn't there when what ever allegedly happened so I'm not focusing on that. I want me and family to do the right thing and I don't have time to be throwing stones at everybody I have no personal relationship with and/or anyone who has no impact on my personal life.

I think what we really need on SSF is another Devery thread. It's been a while but when he was actually playing, there seemed to be 3-4 Devery threads a week on average - lol

The modified thread title:
Would you rather...(Another Hill vs. Winston thread and poll) Mod edit

Makes me want to ask... Would I rather another Hill vs. Winston thread and poll OR what??? another Taysom vs Teddy thread and poll maybe?

Makes sense they would hope he can be groomed. Worst case is they score a draft pick, best case he is rehabilitated into a star for us.
Out of what we have to choose from YES. Why not have a guy that has thrown for 5,000+ yards and over 30 TD's without the guidance of Sean Payton. Football is football and what a man does in his personal life is his business. I just want him to keep his nose clean while he's a Saint. The problem with entertainment today is that we get too invested in everyone's personal lives. All I care about is cheering on my team. I'm not a judge, I wasn't there when what ever allegedly happened so I'm not focusing on that. I want me and family to do the right thing and I don't have time to be throwing stones at everybody I have no personal relationship with and/or anyone who has no impact on my personal life.

I think you underestimate the childhood hero and adult fandom aspect. Only one team goes to the superbowl fans obviously derive enjoyment from more than just winning. If that was the only measure most of us would have abandoned our teams long ago.

Being able to take pride in your team and the character of your players is a real component. Change nothing about Drew's game play over the years and tell me your Fan experience would not have changed if Drew had assault charges, thefts, DUIs or civil suits for sexual abuse? (not claiming JW has those) Would you get the same pride and enjoyment wearing a #9 jersey? Put one on your 8 year old?

I for one really enjoy the reputation our club house has re-earned after bountygate. There is this theme running through the JW advocates that he is "CERTAIN" to be this amazing QB that morphs into a a SB for us? Not saying it is impossible just parrotting those that insist in TH's case that QB's can't grow and develop radical new skills that have been absent their whole career. I posted the official NFL combine draft write up on JW and it still fits him to a T today. If he has grown as a QB it sure is hidden from my eyes.

To get where his fans fantasize he will be, he has to do all of the following
  1. stop throwing junk passes
  2. remain not only healthy but fit; something he struggles with and points to a flaw in his dedication to his craft
  3. make better and faster decisions.
  4. stop pumping,. He telegraphs nearly every pass to the defenders hence Interception (this is maybe his Achilles Heel)
  5. learn how to stop fumbling
  6. avoid off field drama
  7. Win games (something 33 TD and 5,000 yards don't do)
  8. be consistent through 16 games and the playoffs
  9. Win a SB
Tall order that some of you seem to think is a given.

The modified thread title:
Would you rather...(Another Hill vs. Winston thread and poll) Mod edit

Makes me want to ask... Would I rather another Hill vs. Winston thread and poll OR what??? another Taysom vs Teddy thread and poll maybe?

No need Teddy and Taysom both won that war.

And yet you believe that he can make a franchise QB out of a guy who has never in his life shown the ability to be an accurate passer, nor has demonstrated the football IQ to read a defense properly.
My whole feeling is the likely outcome is neither Hill or Winston are our franchise QBs over any one of them.

I go with Winston because I know that style of QB is successful more then Taysom’s. And for longer. Which is the most important aspect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom