Would you rather have draft picks....or Sean Payton back? (4 Viewers)

Would you rather have a #1 pick +other compensation for Payton...or have him come back as our coach?

• I would rather have at least a #1 pick + other compensation

Votes: 74 23.2%
  • I am ok with at least a #2 pick + other compensation

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • I would rather have Payton back as our head coach

Votes: 235 73.7%
  • I would rather Payton stay retired and not coach anywhere

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Payton gushing over Lamar Jackson.

“He has a chance to be a free agent, and I have a chance to be a free agent.”
Yeah, that's not the same as saying he doesn't want to coach the Saints. Being a free agent means he gets to shop himself around and guage what his market value might be. I don't have a problem with that.

Regardless, Payton knows he's not really a free agent just yet.

JackDiesel

SR is my life!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not the same as saying he doesn't want to coach the Saints. Being a free agent means he gets to shop himself around and guage what his market value might be. I don't have a problem with that.

Regardless, Payton knows he's not really a free agent just yet.

He'll never say that. That's how you burn bridges. There is zero reason to think he'd want to return. QB situation still sucks although he was able to win with Winston, no first round pick and the cap is in even worse shape after we restructured contracts to try and get Watson. It'd take the same kind of hard work that burned him out to come back to the Saints and win.

If we get a good return on trading him then at least the next coach will have a fighting chance.

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I would rather have Sean Payton but you have to take what you can get in this scenario. If he comes back and the Saints can get picks out of it, that’s ideal. Moving on from Dennis Allen and finding a new HC is step 2.

DSnfla

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
If he was only taking a break from coaching the Saints, he wouldn't have called himself a "free agent" He's done with the Saints.
1st of all he said POSSIBLY be a free agent. And I think that was just TV Sean talking creating a buzz

Saints 4 life

⚜ Falcons Suck ⚜
Reaction score
1st of all he said POSSIBLY be a free agent. And I think that was just TV Sean talking creating a buzz
Did you see him on the sideline coaching this weekend? Neither did I. He's done with the Saints. Try to comprehend this much 🤣

dooce

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Payton in my heart but my head knows that you can never go backwards and expect great results.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Payton in my heart but my head knows that you can never go backwards and expect great results.
That's certainly not universally true. There are more than a few examples of coaches and players taking a break and returning with similar or even improved results. I don't know if that would happen in Payton's case, but I like the odds there.

And fwiw, I'm having a hard time thinking of who out there is a better option than Payton.

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd say getting back a top 10 NFL head coach is more valuable than drafting a pro bowl level player with that pick (which is far from guaranteed), unless it turns into a franchise QB.
Even a great QB won't look good with a bad coach/team.

Saint Pompano

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That's certainly not universally true. There are more than a few examples of coaches and players taking a break and returning with similar or even improved results. I don't know if that would happen in Payton's case, but I like the odds there.

And fwiw, I'm having a hard time thinking of who out there is a better option than Payton.

Nobody available would be better.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom