Would you rather have draft picks....or Sean Payton back? (1 Viewer)

Would you rather have a #1 pick +other compensation for Payton...or have him come back as our coach?

• I would rather have at least a #1 pick + other compensation

Votes: 101 26.0%
  • I am ok with at least a #2 pick + other compensation

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I would rather have Payton back as our head coach

Votes: 276 71.0%
  • I would rather Payton stay retired and not coach anywhere

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
I'd say getting back a top 10 NFL head coach is more valuable than drafting a pro bowl level player with that pick (which is far from guaranteed), unless it turns into a franchise QB.
Even a great QB won't look good with a bad coach/team.

That's certainly not universally true. There are more than a few examples of coaches and players taking a break and returning with similar or even improved results. I don't know if that would happen in Payton's case, but I like the odds there.

And fwiw, I'm having a hard time thinking of who out there is a better option than Payton.

Nobody available would be better.

Last edited:
Gotta let this go and move on. The time has passed. He's way better than what you have now but had his own flaws as far as getting to and staying at the next level of advancing in the playoffs. Embrace t the future. All good things must come to an end.

It took us a long long time to find CSP and I really don’t think we have one now.
It took a long time to find a super bowl winning coach, but we had a couple of winners before then.

It took a long time to find a super bowl winning coach, but we had a couple of winners before then.
That’s true but I’m looking at the big picture. I want a coach that can win in the regular season and the playoffs. I don’t want a coach that can pile up wins in the regular season but looses in the playoff. My dream coach would be a young (33-34) offensive minded coach who could draft us a good QB. A guy who knows his side of the ball is offense and hires a DC who understands #94 needs a ring fast.

What if Coach Payton is on double secret probation, and the only reason he is gone, is has been suspended for one season?

Sean Payton left us, let the man go and let’s get a #1 or whatever. He left us to go to Miami with Tammy Brady are we all forgetting that???? It fell through but still…

It’s like taking an ex girlfriend back after she cheated on you. Forget that! Thanks for everything he did but he couldn’t make it work previous seasons it wouldn’t be any different unless we get a pro bowl QB which most likely won’t be happening unless we make it happen.

I'm just curious...and this is strictly just for fun. If there was a chance that Payton could come back as the Saints coach (and for the record I don't think that ever happens) and he was revitalized from his time off....would you want him again? Or would you rather have the draft picks and move on?
No brainer- SP return. No one player can instill the level of confidence that SP did. The 2012 season is an example of that. Don't let the 2012 statistics fool you. Except for Atlanta, the Saints were whipped by better teams that season. Carmichael does not have the same feel for playcalling that SP did.

This hypothetical....as pointed out by OP, is based on SP actually WANTING to be back with the Saints and being energized to coach the Saints again. In that hypothetical...of course, it's a no brainer. You take the proven commodity. A committed SP is more valuable than any first round pick.

IF SP would come back, I would take him but he is not. That ship has sailed. So, I want everything and anything we can get for him. Don't be cheap. If someone wants him, they going to have pay the piper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom