Would you sacrifice a year to draft Trevor Lawrence in 2021? (1 Viewer)

Would you sacrifice a year to draft Trevor Lawrence in 2021?

• Total voters

cazint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Since we're making various hypotheticals, what say you?

For clarity, the question assumes:
  • Brees retires
  • Joe Burrow is out of the question...meaning, we don't do some crazy trade to somehow get Burrow in this year's draft.
  • So we can either move on with TB or TH, or we can go 0-16, collect the top draft selection, and pick what many call a generational player.
I know, I know, "you play to win the game." Good for you. That choice is included in the poll.

But if you know you can get THAT player, someone who will change your franchise for 10 to 15 years, are you okay sacrificing one year to get there?

And even more specifically, this question goes to season-ticket holders: are you okay having paid $1000+ plus for that 0-16 season on the hopes that said generational talent will rock the NFL?

I'm a STH, I would. Hope is all you have as a fan and there's nothing more exciting as a football fan than believing you have a QB who can win multiple championships for the next decade.

With that said, I expect Brees back and we have way too much talent so our hope as fans should be we find a QB that is not as hyped as the top guys but turns out to be just as great if not better (ie. Mahomes and Lamar were considered good but not as hyped as other QBs in their class and thus were able to be had in the tens and twenties).

Good question but I don't believe in tanking just to get that player. I don't know how many high draft picks these other teams had but they still remain at the bottom of the league.

Since we're making various hypotheticals, what say you?

For clarity, the question assumes:
  • Brees retires
  • Joe Burrow is out of the question...meaning, we don't do some crazy trade to somehow get Burrow in this year's draft.
  • So we can either move on with TB or TH, or we can go 0-16, collect the top draft selection, and pick what many call a generational player.
I know, I know, "you play to win the game." Good for you. That choice is included in the poll.

But if you know you can get THAT player, someone who will change your franchise for 10 to 15 years, are you okay sacrificing one year to get there?

And even more specifically, this question goes to season-ticket holders: are you okay having paid $1000+ plus for that 0-16 season on the hopes that said generational talent will rock the NFL?

How that worked for Miami?

They tanked, and they are not getting Burrow.

Dude is 1st pick.

Better chance would be getting Fields

Good question but I don't believe in tanking just to get that player. I don't know how many high draft picks these other teams had but they still remain at the bottom of the league.

100% agree.

Even if I could be persuaded that it was the best thing to do, I would NOT do it for him.

In last nights game, Joe was under pressure as much if not more. Why the difference? They have started the same number of games, so it’s not experience. Clemson had good receivers and weapons.

The difference to me is, Joe has IT. That thing that makes you able to throw accurately when you know it getting ready to hurt. That thing that allowed you to block everything out but what you are looking at. That thing that causes pain to go away when you need to be your best.

I don’t think this kid has it. Great year last year. Great year this year. How does he handle things when everything is going wrong. How does he handle things when he is being rushed and hit and hurried a lot. That one’s hard to answer because I think yesterday was the first time we’ve seen it happen to him.

If Drew were to retire I would sign Teddy for one year. 15mil, 20mil...whatever the number is. Give Taysom a 1st round tender so nobody touches him. If a QB like Tua falls with in range, make the move to get him. Start Teddy and mix a whole lot more of Taysom in at QB. Re-evaluate at the end of the season when both are UFAs.

Dude is 1st pick.

Better chance would be getting Fields

Maybe?

Until I see him in a big game under consistent pressure getting hit and still making plays I’m not taking him with the first pick. Don’t tell me he’s been in a lot of big games and won because I know he has, but show me one game that he was consistently under pressure being knocked around and still made plays with his arm.

I Do you think by the end of next year he will be the number one pick because I believe he has the ability to do that, but he hast to show me. Next year someone else could have a year that propels them to the number one pick.

...because the first overall pick quarterback ALWAYS turns out to be a franchise HOFer.. Just ask Carolina (Cam Newton), or Tampa (Jameis Winston) or Houston (David Carr), or Oakland (JaMarcus Russell), or Cleveland (Tim Couch), or Indianapolis (Jeff George), and the list goes on...

The NFL draft is WAY too tenuous to tank a season in aims of getting one player. Jim Finks said it best when he called it a crap shoot on every player. He was talking about Troy Aikman and Tony Mandarich in particular, both considered "can't miss" prospects who would be the first and second players taken. Well, Aikman turned out and Mandarich was a total bust.

Tank a season for Lawrence? No way, no how. We've no idea how he will adjust to the NFL. He didn't adjust well to the new level of competition he faced last night. He lost his cool and started pressing badly. Now, maybe he learns from that and never has that trouble again, but maybe it's a sign of things to come in the NFL. You just can't tell, ever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom