Would you skip playing in a championship game over religious beliefs? (1 Viewer)

Would you skip playing in a championship game over religious beliefs?

• Yes

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Depends

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Why isn't this poll about peeing?

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Complex Kid

Most things I worry about Never happen anyway
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/02/27/sabbath.colorado.ap/index.html?eref=mostpop
DENVER (AP) -- State senators have taken up the cause of a Jewish boys basketball team whose playoff run may be halted because its players can't play on the Jewish Sabbath.

The Herzl/Rocky Mountain Hebrew Academy team could be headed for a regional championship on Saturday, March 8, if it wins one more game. But the Denver team's religious beliefs prohibit students from playing on the Jewish Sabbath between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday.

They had to know they had a possibility of playing on weekends right? If they can't make arrangements to play later, forfeit. If there beliefs are more important than a game, this shouldn't be a question.

Earlier this month, the Colorado High School Activities Association, which governs sports and other high school activities, rejected the team's request for a schedule change.

Senate President Peter Groff, D-Denver, said the CHSAA's decision was ironic because it has a rule barring games from being played on Sunday for religious reasons.

Wow. What a bunch of ***holes.

That's not ironic, that's just being arrogant, needlessly-inflexible, intolerant, myopic, probably-bigoted jerks. (This is Colorado, after all.)

One can only hope that the CHSAA gets what's coming to them. They're apparently just begging for it.

Jacob said:

They had to know they had a possibility of playing on weekends right?

When I played in highschool the only time we played on weekends where tournaments (and you have control over which ones you played so I'm guessing this team didn't play in any tourny's) and if we had made it the championship game in the playoffs that is on a Saturday here in Louisiana.

They had to know they had a possibility of playing on weekends right? If they can't make arrangements to play later, forfeit. If there beliefs are more important than a game, this shouldn't be a question.

I would NEVER skip playing in a championship game because of religious beliefs. Championship games come very infrequently, if ever; the sabbath comes every week of your life in pretty much every religion.

I believe my God is a god who forgives us of our sins. I'm pretty sure he'd understand, especially if I attempted to absolve myself the following week...

why can't they play a basketball game on the sabbath???

I just don't see why it would be a big deal for a schedule change. If I were on the opposing team, I would want the chance to play against the team who earned it to the championship game.

i dont have a religion so i guess that would be easy for me..... but i agree with everyone. its so arrogant for the CHSAA not to allow them to have a schedule change. i support everyone in their religion, so i do not fault the team for not playing. you should do what you believe in.

Chariots of Fire, anyone?

Please remember, people, that the Shabbat is the most important holiday of the Jewish calendar because it is the first one instituted. I think it's shameful to force them to play or forfeit.
Would they intentionally schedule a hot dog eating contest for a Catholic school on a Friday during Lent? That would be just as asinine.

I wouldn't skip for pretty much the reason that Jeklyz Hyde articulated. I just simply think that God wouldn't really care.

I think that some flexibility needed to be showed by both sides. The CHSAA and the other team could probably work something out to accomodate their beliefs but, if for some reason that wasn't feasible, I find it hard to believe that a kids basketball game would truly be some major violation of the Sabbath "no exertion" rule. It's not like they go to sleep for two days straight and just stay on the couch and watch TV. I'm sure both adults and children of this faith engage in some sort of activity during this timeframe so I'm sure that "no exertion" is somewhat open to interpretation.

EDIT: I read the article again and saw that the Sabbath ends on Saturday night and not Sunday night. That makes the problem a little easier. Play on Sunday afternoon. The CHSAA should make the full accomodation.

Last edited:
I say no. I question the precept of any faith that thinks recreational exercise that is "fun" is work. That said, they should accomodate the kids in this case. It's not their fault.

One good thing about being Catholic is that you have multiple chances on multiple days to fufill your religious obligation.

That said, I could still stand to do a better job about going to mass.

P.S.: I almost voted "Why isn't this poll about peeing?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom