Would you skip playing in a championship game over religious beliefs? (1 Viewer)

Would you skip playing in a championship game over religious beliefs?

• Yes

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Depends

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Why isn't this poll about peeing?

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Well the verdict is in. Sports > religion. We're all going to hell.

I work on Sundays more frequently than I like to. I dont think God is mad at me for it.

Well I guess that settles that. BigRonJon says God probably thinks it's cool, so have fun boys!

Be sure to have a big pork & shellfish breakfast before the game too. BigRonJon doesn't think God's gonna have too much of a problem with it. So I'm sure you're all good to go there, Hebrews.

the CHSAA said:
We agree with BigRonJon. I mean, come on. What, do you guys believe in the Old Testament or something silly like that? Sheesh, get a life.

Chariots of Fire, anyone?

Please remember, people, that the Shabbat is the most important holiday of the Jewish calendar because it is the first one instituted. I think it's shameful to force them to play or forfeit.
Would they intentionally schedule a hot dog eating contest for a Catholic school on a Friday during Lent? That would be just as asinine.

That would be asinine only if you believe hot dogs contain actual meat. :_rofl:

I say no. I question the precept of any faith that thinks recreational exercise that is "fun" is work. That said, they should accomodate the kids in this case. It's not their fault.

Whether a faith views recreational sport as work or not isn't really the question here. The point is if playing in the game somehow violated the faith you embrace, would you skip playing in the game.

Whether a faith views recreational sport as work or not isn't really the question here. The point is if playing in the game somehow violated the faith you embrace, would you skip playing in the game.

Then the answer is no for me. But it's based on circular logic because I would not be a member of a faith that was that rigid. And I'm thankful that my faith is based on someone who blew the whole "you can't do anything (even good) on the Sabbath" argument out of the water.

But I know the Jewish people have that long-standing tradition, and I still think they should be accomodated in this case if it is possible.

...but, if for some reason that wasn't feasible, I find it hard to believe that a kids basketball game would truly be some major violation of the Sabbath "no exertion" rule.

EDIT: I read the article again and saw that the Sabbath ends on Saturday night and not Sunday night. That makes the problem a little easier. Play on Sunday afternoon. The CHSAA should make the full accomodation.

I hear you, jpc, and I don't want you to think that I missed your edited addendum, but...

The part in your first paragraph, as also expressed by others, is precisely the problem.

It doesn't matter what you think God does or doesn't care about. That's completely irrelevant. And it doesn't matter what the CHSAA thinks God does or doesn't care about either.

The problem is that apparently that's the CHSAA's attitude. "Chill out, Jews. Seriously, get a life. God doesn't give a crap if you play on the Sabbath. Take it from a bunch of non-Jews. Seriously, we're pretty sure about this. And you know, it might take like 15 minutes of work on our part to accommodate you, so we're thinking nah."

Really, that's just straight up bull****. The more I type on this the more it ****** me off. (As a non-Jewish person who even enjoys blackadder posts.)

Of course this whole debate is being simplified. The boys can likely play a game on saturday, but the list of other things that are forbidden would make actually getting to the game impossible. For instance, many orthodox do not drive or ride in cars on the Sabbath, this would make getting the whole team in one location very difficult, especially if it is a state championship game which is most likely in a central location of the state.

Furthermore I find it incredibly stupid that the rules prevent games from being played on one sabbath only to require they are played on another sabbath, which is likely the case in most every state. I for one can't think of a single game/meet during high school that was scheduled for a Sunday, but Friday night/Saturday day were the norm.

I'm pretty sure there would be quite the uproar if all HS games were moved to Sundays across the state/country. Its not that big of a deal to some people, but that doesn't mean you don't respect a TEAM's religious views. It would be a slightly different argument if it was one kid on the team, but this is the whole team

I hear you, jpc, and I don't want you to think that I missed your edited addendum, but...

The part in your first paragraph, as also expressed by others, is precisely the problem.

It doesn't matter what you think God does or doesn't care about. That's completely irrelevant. And it doesn't matter what the CHSAA thinks God does or doesn't care about either.

The problem is that apparently that's the CHSAA's attitude. "Chill out, Jews. Seriously, get a life. God doesn't give a crap if you play on the Sabbath. Take it from a bunch of non-Jews. Seriously, we're pretty sure about this. And you know, it might take like 15 minutes of work on our part to accommodate you, so we're thinking nah."

Really, that's just straight up bull****. The more I type on this the more it ****** me off. (As a non-Jewish person who even enjoys blackadder posts.)

I think a lot of the opinions expressed on this thread and even by the CSHAA aren't really meant in a malicious or mocking way but lack the necessary perspective.

The part where I expressed my beliefs about God's opinions strictly related to the original question "Would I skip a championship game for a religous holiday?" and the answer is "No". That's not a knock on those that would have picked "Yes".

I don't the CHSAA is trying to be anti Jewish, per se, but they probably lack the proper framework to honestly evaluate this petition. As open minded as I consider myself, I can't truly see things from a Jewish perspective or even from a "conservative orthodox" perspective of any religion because I haven't been brought up in that background. My background is post Vatican II Roman Catholic (and I can even be classified as "non practicing", technically). We have a lot of rules....but also a lot of loopholes. I suspect that most religions that don't veer towards strict orthodoxy are similar so most people just don't have the capacity to understand why this school won't budge. The CHSAA probably believes that the Sabbath can be somewhat interpreted by the school. They also don't want to open the floodgates where any school can dispute a schedule after it has been made for any number of reasons, whether they be religious, academic, or otherwise.

However, since this game can be played on a Sunday to the satisfaction of all parties, it should be done that way. It probably wouldn't hurt, however, for school officials from schools with special considerations to convene with the CHSAA before future schedules are put out to address these concerns before they become national news.

I voted no, but then again I have no religion. That said, I think they should reschedule the game. I might have an easier time agreeing with the CHSAA on this if they hadnt already injected religion into their decision making by saying no games can be played on Sundays. They have opened the door of catering to peoples religious beliefs and now they have to make the same considerations for all religions or else they look anti(insert religion here.)

Then the answer is no for me. But it's based on circular logic because I would not be a member of a faith that was that rigid. And I'm thankful that my faith is based on someone who blew the whole "you can't do anything (even good) on the Sabbath" argument out of the water.

Amen to that, brother!

Religion is a tool to induce mass conformity. No I would not skip any type of game be it a championship or regular game for any religious reason.

God hates Jewish Sabbath basketball players!!!

AIDS is a gift from God to prevent basketball from being played on the Sabbath!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom